+ Reply to Thread
Page 14 of 18 FirstFirst ... 41213141516 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    For the comments on Julia Gillard, she may make around $450k a year but its really not that much considering what people in the private sector make.

When Rudd was in office, i was friends with some of his staffers and he reliously slept 3-4 hours a night and worked well over 100 hours a week. If Julia works 100 hours a week (which i am certain she would work more) she's only earning about $86 and hour before tax, or $51 an hour after tax. I think i earn about $35. $51 an hour is really not a huge amount for running a country...

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Clementine Grace For This Useful Post:

Maybelline  (24-10-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    I get that some people don't have all teh baby stuff for their subsequent babies. I don't either. DD is 7. I am not TTC or pregnant, so it's going to be a large age-gap... all baby stuff is long-gone.

Really though, you can get a cot for $200. A mattress for under $100. A pram for $150. A decent carseat for $300. A change-table for $100. A bath for $20. They're all the bigger items you start off with, and you don't even need all of them.

If you can't figure out how to make $3000 pay for those things, again, you seriously need help with a budget... or, if the $3000 is going to other things (bills, food, rent, etc), then perhaps adding to your family at that point in time is really not the best of ideas...

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to SassyMummy For This Useful Post:

Clementine Grace  (23-10-2012),halloweendee  (23-10-2012),Rutabaga  (25-10-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Are people seriously upset that a 'bonus' is being cut?

It's a bonus, not an entitlement.

Its been great while the country could afford it and now that we can't it gets trimmed back.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to WorkingClassMum For This Useful Post:

SassyMummy  (23-10-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by glitter girl View Post
    I wasn't saying it was luck. We should just be grateful that we get anything at all. Yes we pay taxes but in other countries you pay taxes and get stuff all.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using BubHub
    Yeap and in other countries you pay tax and you get a lot more too.
    I don't think comparing our luck to other countries is meaningful. What do we want for our country, regardless of what other do?
    That all that matters really

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Cuts to baby bonus to balance budget

Wow. Why can't people live within their means. I didn't get paid mat leave with my first child and won't get it from my employer this time either. I still haven't received my ppl and we have only $150 left each fortnight for bills and groceries and we are living within our means!!!!! Seriously, it's $2000, people have some serious budgeting issues! Start remembering that this type of social welfare had only been around a very short period of time. What do you think people did before the government started handing out money hand over fist?! It costs much more than $2000 to raise a child. Be grateful for what you get. Such a first world problem. I bet you all own flat screen tv's.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week

Quote Originally Posted by tormy View Post
    Tbh I dont care that it's been cut. But it would be nice that if the money they are saving by cutting it went towards more childcare centers.
    The government is making this change because they don't have enough money to fund the current budget. Spending money on childcare centers would negate that.

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to VicPark For This Useful Post:

jez  (23-10-2012),WorkingClassMum  (23-10-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts

Default Re: Cuts to baby bonus to balance budget

Lol flat screens. Sorry.

But yeah I agree with 'living within your means'. Our baby bonus funneled off into a separate account because in 6 months it would run out and wed have to live without it. So if we have to live without it then why include it as "income".

We bought a car though. Because we already had a flat screen. Lol.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts

Default Re: Cuts to baby bonus to balance budget

Quote Originally Posted by tormy View Post
    Tbh I dont care that it's been cut. But it would be nice that if the money they are saving by cutting it went towards more childcare centers.
    I agree.

Though I wish it would go on childcare wages not subsiding costs. bit selfish maybe!

Thanks
    Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by VicPark View Post
    The government is making this change because they don't have enough money to fund the current budget. Spending money on childcare centers would negate that.
    They do have the money, but are protecting the surplus.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ~ElectricPink~ View Post
    ....and I find it pretty disgusting that some people are so bloody rude!

*rolls eyes*

But then again, you're probably entitled to the $10k paid parental leave, so this won't affect you right? As for me, I will be a full-time uni student and working casually, so won't be entitled to PPL. Which means basically I will have to go back to work sooner than I would have liked, just to make ends meet.
    Yes, I was lucky enough to receive PPL. I am currently a single SAHM and full time uni student, so if I were to fall pregnant anytime soon them no.. I would only qualify for the Baby Bonus, which I would feel greatful for. That said, I certainly am not planning on having another child until I have the money to cover essentials.

I'm not trying to be rude, it really does shock me that people b*tch and moan about handouts that we are (in my opinion) incredibly lucky to receive.