+ Reply to Thread
Page 12 of 18 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Sarelou you must be earning well under the legal minimum wage in that case

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Benji For This Useful Post:

~ElectricPink~  (23-10-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Cuts to baby bonus to balance budget

Quote Originally Posted by BigRedV View Post
    Umm, the baby bonus and ppl is a federal government issue, public transport and desalination are state government issues, completely separate from Julia Gillard!
    Realize this but just wanted an example of money being wasted. I'm sure this happens on an even larger scale at federal level.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Before PPL, the BB served as a de facto parental leave (albeit inadequate). Post PPL, I agree in cutting it, but I would cut it back to about $1000 or $1500 for all births, and introduce a decent PPL system.

Although I agree with PPs that it's unjust that some people may not qualify for PPL due to casual work or unemployment. maybe they need to review the criteria.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to MsMummy For This Useful Post:

~ElectricPink~  (23-10-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Re: Cuts to baby bonus to balance budget

Quote Originally Posted by Sarelou View Post
    I'm eligible for PPL but I will also be putting it all into a high interest earner account for DD.

What gets me cranky is that I work full time (well on mat leave at the moment) and I know single mums get the same amount almost exactly as I do. Flame me all you want but I work hard for that money and I don't think it is fair. I think it's great to have some form of payment for the first few years of a baby's life but then it's not right after that. Or maybe that's just because I know too many people that have abused the system and its left a sour taste in my mouth...
    As a single sahm i was getting 1080$ a fortnight,
    If you are working 'full time' and only earnings this i would suggest a different line of work!
    Are you a childcare trainee or a apprentice or something?

As a partnered parent my dp could ear 1200$ a fortnight & i was entitled to 400$ of centerlink.

1600 a fortnight compared to 1080,

I intensly dislike people who think they are somehow better that someone simply based on relationship status,
    My sons father and i broke up due to him becoming increasingly abusive & violent (not that ANYONE who knows us irl would know that as it was not known to others)
    Should i have just stayed? Should my son be chucked into daycare instead of having a sahm just because his father was being a pr!ck?

If it ****es you off so bad quit your job, leave your husband & have fun living the high life as a single mum!

Sent from my MB526 using BubHub
    Last edited by intruderalert1234; 23-10-2012 at 16:49.

7. The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to intruderalert1234 For This Useful Post:

Bulbasaur  (23-10-2012),delirium  (23-10-2012),FearlessLeader  (23-10-2012),ItWasntMe  (23-10-2012),Laydeebugxxx  (23-10-2012),RobinSparkles  (23-10-2012),SassyMummy  (23-10-2012),smidget3004  (24-10-2012),Tainted  (23-10-2012),trishalishous  (23-10-2012),~BEXTER~  (23-10-2012),~ElectricPink~  (23-10-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Quote Originally Posted by MsMummy View Post
    Before PPL, the BB served as a de facto parental leave (albeit inadequate). Post PPL, I agree in cutting it, but I would cut it back to about $1000 or $1500 for all births, and introduce a decent PPL system.

Although I agree with PPs that it's unjust that some people may not qualify for PPL due to casual work or unemployment. maybe they need to review the criteria.
    Perhaps it could be cut back and changed so that everyone who works say 15 hours a week in entitled to ppl? Or done on an individual set up so teachers / tafe workers etc would be entitled to it

Sent from my MB526 using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BBJunior View Post
    Realize this but just wanted an example of money being wasted. I'm sure this happens on an even larger scale at federal level.
    Then give an example for the correct government!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

im only casual and get ppl? you dont have to be full time, just have worked 43 weeks with no more than an 8 week gap where not working. hours criteria is 330 -its not that much.

Sent from my GT-I9100T using BubHub

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to PuppyGuts For This Useful Post:

Cherry18Bloss  (24-10-2012),halloweendee  (23-10-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

I'm not belittling anyone, just answering a question I just don't agree that the bb money should be the reason you have children. Yes we are fortunate to be able to put govt money away for the kids/rainy day.

I'm just saying that it's a bonus and not an entitlement. I agree with you on the rest.

Quote Originally Posted by River Song View Post
    the only reason you can do this is because you have enough income/other money to afford it...not everyone is as lucky as you. Congrat's on putting in the hard work...but, best not to belittle people who do not have it as lucky.

As for us, i agree with social welfare and I appreciate what we get (which is about $50 a f/n)...it pays for the kids "extras" like gymnastics and karate...it's helpful.

Baby bonus...i was grateful for the 5k...but i was also grateful for the $500 i got for DS lol We put some in the kids accounts and used some to supplement the extra costs in the early months.

I don't agree with the complaining about it...because it is a bonus and not an entitlement but i guess I am not the one seeing people getting $5k now and then getting $2k less than that myself. if it had never been $5k, people would think cool $3k...but the comparison is what they are upset over and that is human nature.

People shouldn't be making the choice to have a baby and relying on the bonus to make it affordable...but, I am in a priviledged place too because we can live without the bonus and ftb is we choose.

Thanks
    Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by BigRedV View Post
    Then give an example for the correct government!
    Okay, just off the top of my head the $46m that was wasted by sending the $900 bonus stimulus payment in 2009 to people overseas, the deceased and criminals, the $43b being spent on the NBN with no business plan and no structure in sight, $2.5b spent on the home insulation scheme...

All I'm saying is that it's grossly unfair to make this change and not make any changes in the PPL criteria at the same time which would enable those who miss out on a technicality to take advantage of it too.

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Re:

I'm not happy with the bb cut but least it's something. I'm from south Africa and you dont get anything and even have to pay thousands to give birth. We are lucky no matter how much we get but it's very costly to live as an individual let alone raise children aswel. People who have babies just for the bb ruien it for others I think. They should cut it at the 3rd baby or you get family's who sit at home and have 11 and get 5 grand for each baby.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using BubHub