+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Default Campervan vs car- road trip

What do you think would be more economical...Hiring a motorhome and camping at holiday parks or hiring a car and staying in motels?

Initial thought is campervan...

BUT..

Factoring in that it will cost us approx $1000+ more to hire a campervan and that it would chew more fuel than a hire car vs hiring a car, ok around $1000 cheaper but would be paying more in accomodation...but less in fuel!

Ugh I got a headache!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

I hired a campervan to drive around NZ and it worked out really cheap in fuel. The van ran on diesel and was very economical.

It was also nice to have to have the flexibility of changing our minds last minute and not worrying about room availability.

We also used a park pass which I think offered some kind of discount.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Was that through the Kiwi Holiday Parks discount card?

And it just so happens that it's NZ that we're going!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    We just spent 2 weeks in NZ in a campervan. I can't recommend it enough. We felt it was a very economical holiday. Like a PP said - ours was diesel and was suprisingly economical. But I personally think the biggest monery saver is living in the van itself. Because it has a fridge/pantry etc we NEVER bought lunch/coffee whilst travelling at all. We would just pull over, make a cuppa and morning tea/lunch. This saved us a bucket. We only ate out once (for fish and chips) because it's just so easy to be prepared to cook dinner when you have everything you need in the van.

I would do it again in a heartbeat.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Oh and the NZ campgrounds are much cheaper than in Aus and spotless. You can also free camp in designated areas for nothing. So good!

6. The Following User Says Thank You to teenie For This Useful Post:

suemp  (22-10-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Re: Campervan vs car- road trip

If you are going to nz then definitley go the campervan. We have done it twice now. Book a early as you can. campertravel.Co.nz is great. We only paid $500 for a 4 berth for 10 days, but got upgraded to a 6 berth for nothing.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews

I think so!

There was only 1 or 2 towns we went to another park and that's because we didn't like the kiwi parks as much or the location wasn't as good.

I would highly recommend the campervan idea! Like a pp said, we saved money by being able to pull over to cook food etc as we had a mini kitchen.

My favourite part was the flexibility it provided. We changed our plans a couple of times if we loved the town or on the other hand we drove through some towns we were planning on spending the night.

Sorry for rambling! NZ is amazing so I'm sure you'll have a great time either way

Thanks
    Reviews
    No ramble away by all means!!! I want to hear it all...the good the bad the ugly!!!

Where did you all go...what did you see?

I forgot about the point that we could just stop and make our own food, that's something that motels and that don't have I guess.

So did you find it easy to park in places like...what if you ran out of milk, you could't just run down the shop and get some milk could you? (Or maybe you just have to be bit more organised

How do I find out where we can free camp?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Our 6 berther was surprisingly easy to drive and get around in. We parked in shopping centres and stuff, usually just a bit further away from the shop. I wouldn't really say that it limited us at all, I think it gave us heaps of freedom.

We did the full south island, from christchurch right down to the bottom and back up the west coast and then over Arthur's pass back to Christchurch. I can't say we had any bad van park experiences, I wouldn't limit yourself to a certain franchise of van parks. The most we paid per night was in Queenstown and was about $80/night but that was to be expected as it is the biggest tourist destination.

I can't rave highly enough about campervanning around NZ. When I was younger we did both north and south island with mum, dad and my 2 brothers.