+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Early entry to Kindy?

Quote Originally Posted by NancyBlackett View Post
    I thought there was Pre-prep in Queensland which is the year before prep?

Back in my day kindy was 3-4 and Pre school was 4-5. It's now pre-prep and prep.
    In Qld some places call it pre prep some call it kindy but its pretty much the same thing. Pre prep also starts from 3.5.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts

Preschool in nsw take 3 year olds.

Thanks
    Reviews

In qld they say you can't attend earlier. My daughter was 3 in July so will be 3.5 this January (2013) but she can't go to kindy until jan 2014- she will b 4.5.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Don't know if qld has these or if it financially possible, but the school we will be sending dd to (and a few other private schools around) have a monti or pre-kindy programme. They take 3-4 years olds for 3-5 days per week and its more structured then normal childcare.

Thanks
    Reviews

Do you have a goodstart (previously abc) childcare centre near you? I know they do structured kinder programs

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Thanks for the replies guys. We've just gotten back from touring the local private school's kindy program (they take younger kids if they have spaces left over).

I see what a lot of you are saying about being emotionally ready but I just think he'd benefit so much. He's a pretty self-assured little guy most of the time and I just can't keep up with the rate at which he wants to soak up information all the time. The plan would be for 2 years of kindy so he'd still be "appropriate" age at prep.

For those who suggested childcare centres - I did consider that, there are some around us that have kindy programs, but we had a bad experience with a childcare centre when DS was a baby and so I'd prefer to send him to a dedicated kindy. I just feel that childcare centes which run kindy programs may do so as an afterthought/money maker, and they are not as dedicated with regards to teacher qualifications and activities etc. Besides if I'm going to send him anywhere, why not a proper kindy? Probably a prejudice on my part but I am just not as comfortable sending him there.

This kindy looked great. They had chickens, vegie patch, lots of toys and activities, iPads to use! He was so excited to see the room. The head of primary school was showing us around and she was quite reassuring about how much support he would get from the teachers as well.

My hubby and I are leaning towards giving it a try. I suppose if we find he's overwhelmed or it's too much for him we can pull him out again. I just think he'd really enjoy it and he's outgrown his FDC.

I'd welcome any further replies/thoughts!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Kindy's in Queensland give priority to kids entering prep the following year, but if they have space they will offer them to children turning 3 by June that year.

If there is a space and you feel he will benefit, I say go for it! It's not like he will be entering prep a year early, it will just mean two years of kindy. DD1 had a girl in her kindy class that wouldn't start prep until the year after her and you couldn't tell at all. In reality she was only a few weeks younger then DD1 anyway, as DD1 is a late June baby, and this little girl was early August.

2 years of kindy at age 3, and age 4 was the norm for decades, until the rise of child care centres.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I sent my daughter as a 3yr old to a 4yr old Kindy class at a private school. She was one of the youngest. It was the best decision, she was fairly shy and quiet in that class. But this year as a 4yr old in the same class she has just flown, as one of the most confident and academically capable children. Give it a go...it was the right decision for us.

Thanks
    Reviews
    If you aren't planning on him going to prep until he the right age then I don't see why not. I wouldn't push for early entry to school though, as all research points to being emotionally ready being a really strong reason to start formal education later rather than earlier.

Did they say that they had a spot for him? It is so packed in Vic it seems like most 3 year olds miss out here!

Thanks
    Reviews

My oldest child started Kindy at the beginning of this year, and being born at the end of June means she is the youngest in the class. She was only 3.5 years old when she started, and honestly I really wished for a long time that she'd been born a week later and then I would've had 1 more whole year with her at home =(

Luckily she is very switched on and I do a lot of teaching basic stuff at home, so she doesn't struggle with learning (which is waaaay more full-on than when I was a kid!). But when I look at how much older a lot of the kids are, I can see quite a big difference in a social sense. Most of her friends are all 5 now and she has only recently turned 4. And for most of the year she really found it difficult adjusting to going to Kindy, particularly as she'd never been in any kind of childcare before (or even been babysat or anything).

I honestly think u would give ur son a much greater academic and social advantage if u waited until the year he's meant to start. They do really have to be fully toilet trained and able to pull up their own pants etc. too. And I think it's really important for their own confidence to be well settled into that, as starting school can be quite stressful and a lot of kids seem to take a few steps backwards with things like toilet training. Even the older kids surprisingly.

Enjoy him for another year, I wish I could've kept mine for a bit longer =( I can't believe that next year she'll only be 4.5 years old and in full-time pre-primary 5 days a week! They have to grow up so quickly these days.. =(