+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default Early entry to Kindy?

Has anyone put their child into Kindergarten a year early?

My son has just turned 3, and so technically does not qualify for kindy until 2014! But I feel he really needs more structured stimulation and learning than either I or his FDC can provide. He just seems to constantly be seeking new experiences and I can't provide enough for him.

Apparently some kindys can take kids a year earlier than they would otherwise. Has anyone got experience with this? I guess I'm worried it will be too advanced for him and he'll be left to his own devices a lot but I'm not really sure. I might pop along to chat to a few local kindys but I'd love another parent's opinion too...

For example he's really good at following instructions etc but he needs help wiping and putting his pants back on after going to the loo! He probably can't manage his own lunchbox either (i.e. he wouldn't know to save some stuff for later etc). Is this inappropriate for a kindy setting?? I just don't know what the right thing to do is.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

I can't help you with experience, but I know in Victoria at least, there is plenty of 3 year old kinders around

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Don't send him early, just keep doing different stuff with him at home/FDC. Do some reading about age appropriate activities for him and don't feel like you're not enough - you are. I went through patches of feeling like my ds had reached a new phase in his development and wasn't that stimulated and then I'd look around for new challenges for him and within a few weeks I'd feel better about it again. My almost 13mo dd is getting a little bored with most of her toys right now and I'm trying to work out what type of toys/games/activities are right to introduce to help stimulate her.

The reason I don't think sending him early is because socially he'll struggle like you say. Toileting in public is even harder than at home and all the other kids will be fully toilet trained. He will need to manage dressing/undressing himself (in a basic sense - putting on a raincoat/taking off his jumper/putting on a hat), putting on his own sunscreen (at my ds's Kinder most of the kids do this).

He'll be fine. I know 2014 seems a long way away, but it's really just a year away.

Thanks
    Reviews

I was desperate to send DD1 to Kindergarten a year early as her birthday is early July. I was talked out of it my a family friend who happens to teach at the school we have chosen for our children. She basically said that I needed to not focus so much on school and cherish her last year of being a baby before beginning her long journey of education. She also talked about how lucky we were, sending a child to school who would be more than ready opposed to too immature.
    Our 4 year old kindy is 2 1/2 days per week and concentrates on social and listening skills and is still full on for these little people. They also need to be fully toilet trained including wiping and pulling up their pants themselves.

DD1 is now 7 and in Year 1 while DD2 is in Kindergarten. Kindy is not a formal education here (WA) but more a big structured playtime and social integration lesson.

Can you find a daycare that offers a 3 year old kindy program?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Of course I don't know your situation but in general I'd be more worried about a kid being emotionally ready for Kindergarten than whether they need more structured learning to be honest. My DS is one of the youngest kids in his Prep class (within the guidelines), also one of the highest level reading and writing kids, but he struggles emotionally more than some of the older kids and that's after a year in kindy already.
    There's no harm in talking to some kindys, but I'd be hesitant to start a year earlier unless my child was very mature and self confident in all the skills needed for kindy. Plus another thought is would you them keep him in kindergarten for two years or would he stay a year younger than his peers for the rest of his schooling? hope that's some helpful food for thought
    Good luck

Thanks
    Reviews
    My son loves his 3yo kindy. I would look into that first as I don't think it would be good for a 3yo to be in a class of 4 and 5 year olds...

Also even 3yo kindy needs kids to be fully toilet trained, they won't wipe bums!

Thanks
    Reviews
    just put him in 3 year old kindy next year?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Traditional pre-school would be the way to go, or a daycare centre that offers a structured learning program. I wouldn't consider sending him to school next year. Also, if he has just turned 3, he might not go to school until 2015, if I have done the maths correctly

Thanks
    Reviews
    Sadly this is QLD and there is no such thing as "3 year kindy" or "preschool". There is just an optional kindy for 3.5-4.5 year olds, then compulsory prep, then year 1.

Thanks for the replies, I'll be back to answer in more detail later!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

I thought there was Pre-prep in Queensland which is the year before prep?

Back in my day kindy was 3-4 and Pre school was 4-5. It's now pre-prep and prep.