+ Reply to Thread
Page 13 of 20 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Stay at home mum vs career mum

This is a conversation that never should have been started!

SAHM vs career... A stay at home mum does have a career, just a different type of career then what you have.

I'm a work at home mum, I get both lots of comments...

"When are you going to stop playing with flowers and get a real career"

and then I get "don't you think missing Saturdays with your daughter is going to cause problems down the line, she's only this age once"

pfft, can't win no matter what!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Astraamy I'd love to play around with flowers for a career

Instead I just buy lots and swoon at their beauty.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by NancyBlackett View Post
    Astraamy I'd love to play around with flowers for a career

Instead I just buy lots and swoon at their beauty.
    Same!

Thanks
    Reviews

I do love my job! My 2 year old helps me fill up the buckets on Thursdays when I get my deliveries and she tells the couriers "mummy does flowers" it's really cute.

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Astraamy For This Useful Post:

babyla  (22-10-2012),NancyBlackett  (22-10-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts

Default Re: Stay at home mum vs career mum

Quote Originally Posted by BlissedOut View Post
    Mmm, they aren't good role models... etc...

How about my husbands dependency on me to care for our children so he can pursue his career? Does that make him a bad role model?
    Have I told you lately that I love you. Lol.

Exactly if I didn't stay home to look after our daughter, if I didn't pick jasper up and drop him off at daycare, if my df was a sole or single parent he'd have to change his work hours/commitments, he wouldn't be able to study, much less have any other interests, he'd have to put katelyn in daycare right now, both 5 days a week OR he'd be unable to work. Bottom line.

The other reason I'd only consider working part time is his job won't change just because I start working. So I'll have the same responsibilities + I'll be working. So he is still absolutely dependant on me to care for "his" (our) children.

And that's NO different and no less essential to our lifestyle than me being dependant on him to work to pay for my (our) living expenses.

I umm and arr over returning to work but also I do want in 5 years or so or whenever I reenter the workforce on a permanent basis I do want - no matter what job I go into even if it's not childcare - to have a resume with activity from 2008 (first baby) onwards. I dont want to have done nothing. I've done crap jobs for no money because I could take jasper with me but I did it to keep my resume up to date.

But thats something I've been very fortunate to be able to do.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default Re: Stay at home mum vs career mum

I may be ' dependant' on my husband financially but i assure you hes just as dependant on me. He relys on me to ensure him and our DD have a healthy balanced diet, clean clothes, organise the finances, pay bills, food shop, do the majority of teaching and raising of DD, the housework, gardening..... i could go on and on. My work never ends. In fact i think he'd be more lost without me than i would without him. We are both dependant on eachother, just in different ways. We are a team!

Sent from my GT-I9100T using BubHub

8. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to SoThisIsLove For This Useful Post:

babycake  (22-10-2012),LifeInShadesOfGrey  (22-10-2012),MothersMilk  (23-10-2012),peanutmonkey  (22-10-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/10/14100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Littlemissellie View Post
    I may be ' dependant' on my husband financially but i assure you hes just as dependant on me. He relys on me to ensure him and our DD have a healthy balanced diet, clean clothes, organise the finances, pay bills, food shop, do the majority of teaching and raising of DD, the housework, gardening..... i could go on and on. My work never ends. In fact i think he'd be more lost without me than i would without him. We are both dependant on eachother, just in different ways. We are a team!

Sent from my GT-I9100T using BubHub
    I totally agree, but traditionally the Family Court hasn't. In the past the presumption was 50/50 where kids are involved, but that presumption was removed several years ago. a lot of women on here who are SAHM say they manage the finances and this is a good thing. You need to know where the money comes from and where it goes. I'm an optimist by nature, but also a realist, so while I don't believe DH and I will separate, I know exactly how everything is paid for and where it comes from

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    When it comes to topics like this I always have the same reply - do whatever suits you and your family.

I work part time, 2 half days a week. DD1 goes to after school care on those days and DD2 is in daycare. We are all happy and thriving so it works for us.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Has OP even replied. I feel a bit sorry for her as I'm sure the wording was probably wrong . Hope she has not been put off bubhub. Whilst I believe as a stay at home mum I am a good role model for my children I believe she is just putting her own issues out there and trying to sort through her beliefs . Probably not a good place to put those thoughts on a parenting forum! OP I'm sure whatever your decide to do you will be the best mum you can be as we all are and try to be with our own individual choices .xx

Bub hub is a good place to come for support so don't be frightened off!

Thanks
    Reviews
    I'm a sahm who also had a very good career which I've given up

My mum was a sahm. A fabulous sahm. But she was so good I left home unable to cook or clean or sew, because mum did everything for us. We missed out on nothing and went to private school. I have 3 sisters. The oldest is so text book smart but not particularly driven. Me & sister 2 have the best careers but all of us gace done well for ourselves so mum being a sahm has not made us "un motivated or lazy"

Im a sahm because I chose to have children abd didn't want to juggle work & career , and I'm very lucky we can afford for me to stay home