+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Who has had a natural birth and an induction?

I'm curious about inductions. I have quick labours (first 20mins) so ob wants to induce to make sure I'm somewhere safe ie hospital not in the car or garage etc.

For those that have had both - is it more more painful? Was it longer? Is it just that you know labour is about to start so you feel everything?

I know he is waiting for my cervix to do something - currently tight and closed so no induction date yet. Does that mean it will be less invasive?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - Most posts for the week ending 5/6/2014

Default Re: Who has had a natural birth and an induction?

I've had both and would choose natural any day.

My first was induced (at 42 weeks) and was 14 hours and the pain was unbearable.

My second was spontaneous at 38 weeks and it was a 32 hour labour (from when I was 5cm) and it was way easier to deal with and the pain was very different and manageable despite being twice as long.

Sent from my GT-I9305T using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    My experience was different to most that i hear. My induction was much less painful than my spontaneous labour and also quicker.
    I will note i think that my spontaneous labour was more painful due to the position of the baby (posterior).

Thanks
    Reviews
    My experience with inudction was also different than most I hear.
    I was induced first time and had a 5.5 hr labour. Second time was natural and labour was 4.5 hrs. I found natural labour much more painful and intense than the induction! I was induced at 37wks so maybe that had something to do with it.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Yes I've had both..spontaneous is definetly better although my contractions were always one after another anyway...except for one birth where it was more 'text book'. All mine were relatively quick too..averaging at 2hrs from first contraction.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    2 natural 1 started natural but stalled at 5 cm... Had the drip . 100 x worse for pain and labour so much longer. Just being honest. I would have epi for that if I had to go through it again, although I heard gel not as bad. Good Luck xxx

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Who has had a natural birth and an induction?

I've had both. Spontaneous was much faster and better IMO.
    I personally wouldn't agree to induction for the reasons your ob has put forth- I know a woman who had two 2 hr births followed by a 8 and then 12 hr birth. Every labour is different and induction = greater chance of intervention. JMO.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I'v only had a natural birth so cant comment on pain/length etc but my mum has and she agrees that natural is much preferred. Is there any possibility you could look at hiring a midwife and having bub at home if it comes to that? I agree that induction leads to a higher rate of intervention.

Busy-Bee is offline Offending people since before Del :D
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator - Thank you
    I've had both. I could do spontaneous again and again but I could never do an induction again. Spontaneous labour wasn't painful up until about an hour before transition and I think that was partially due to stress (I was stuck in a traffic jam trying to get to hospital). Induced labour was excrutiating from the first moment and I had an epi within an hour. Induced labour was about 12 hours from first syntocin to baby out, of which most of that was flat on my back due to the epi. Spontaneous was about 19 hours from first contraction to baby out but I slept during the night, watched a movie, did some housework etc. I also wasn't attached to any machines so I was free to move around as I pleased and wasn't constantly being monitored and having the stress of that over my head. The epi meant I birthed on my back and had a 3rd degree tear which fortunately healed fine but I could have been facing incontinence for the rest of my life.

Thanks
    Reviews
    My first was an induced labour (ended in c-section), and it was without a doubt, the most horrific pain I have ever gone through. The contractions were just so intense and on top of one another, that I had no time to gather myself between contractions. I also had a posterior labour, but due to the induction, I was on continuous CTG monitoring and was made to stay on my back, on the bed which made things 1000 times worse.

My following three spontaneous labours were a walk in the park compared to that. All 3 times I still had really intense contractions, but they were bearable, they were natural contractions so my body had a 'warming up' period which I didn't get with the induction, it was literally from nothing to 1000 in 30 seconds. So yeah, spontaneous all the way here!

But that's just my experience, in general inductions are always a bit harder on you, but that doesn't mean that everyone's will be as bad as mine.