+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Camping with a baby & a toddler

We're off on our first family camping trip soon with friends, and seeing as I haven't camped since I was a kid myself I have no idea where to begin! We have no camping gear & have to start from scratch (although our friends are going to share some of their stuff with us) and I'm a bit overwhelmed by the logistics. It's at the beach & there are no showers. My baby is 6mo, BF but on solids and not sitting up yet - should I take his travel cot? How do I bathe him? I think the toddler will be easier - she eats the same food as us and is TT. Maybe buy a single air mattress for her to sleep on?

Don't get me wrong - I'm so excited! - but I'd really appreciate any tips!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I haven't been camping since I fell pregnant, so am jealous of you! Have you tried googling the topic? Have fun!
    http://www.exploroz.com/OntheRoad/Tr...s0-12mths.aspx

3. The Following User Says Thank You to PeJu's Mum For This Useful Post:

SeaShanty  (25-10-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I would bring the portacot for the baby as she can sleep in it and you can pop him down safely in there during the day too.
    Id bring a pram too you can feed him in it.
    The toddler could sleep on a air matress or one of those kiddie flip out sofa's.
    You don't really need to buy sleeping bags, doona's will do.

As for bathing baby and toddler you can use a large plastic storage bucket and heat some water over the fire to put in for a warm bath for them.

Bring a large picnic rug for the toddler to sit and play or sit down to eat on.
    Bring lots of changes of clothes for the toddler as he will most likely get messy quickly.
    Are there toilets ? If not bring a potty for the toddler.
    Goodluck
    Last edited by Blue Dragon; 22-10-2012 at 13:11.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Blue Dragon For This Useful Post:

SeaShanty  (25-10-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    We've been camping many times with our son as a baby/toddler, and with groups of friends.

Use a bucket for bathing. Use the same bucket for washing up, to save on space.

Baby can sleep in a portacot. Toddler can sleep on an air mattress.

One of our friends bought a kiddy play fenced thing that she could pop her daughter in and know she was safe with toys, etc in there. - but if you're bringing a portacot, just drag that outside your tent during the day.

We've always taken our Ikea highchair with us. Last time we went camping, we just took a little kiddies camp chair - big mistake. Toddler just jumped off and wouldn't sit still for his dinner/lunch/breakfast etc.... you get the idea.

BEST ADVICE - Go to Bunnings and buy the orange plastic fencing that they use to fence off new houses. Take a hammer and some spare poles with you, and wrap the fencing around your camp site. There are SO many dangers with a toddler going walkabouts - with other campers, vehicles in the area, pools or beaches, etc. Make sure your area is secure.
    A backup is to bring long strings of rope with you, and fence off your area tying it to trees/car bumpers/around your tent/etc, and hang towels over it. Anything to keep the kids in your area.

And if your toddler isnt toilet-trained - now is a great time to try, hehe. Stick them in undies, doesnt matter if the grass gets wee'd on all day.

Enjoy! It really is fun, as long as you're prepared with ALL the baby junk you'll need.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to sunnyskies For This Useful Post:

SeaShanty  (25-10-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I agree with the others that suggest the travel cot. When we took our 7 month old camping it was a godsend. Once you take into account that they'll eat whatever they can grab off the ground, plus ants at our campsite, it was the best thing we took for him for being able to put him down for a play with some toys and a couple of pillows to help sit up. It was great for being able to sit outside with everyone in a safe play area or have a sleep in the shade if the tent is hot. The cot isn't really needed for sleeping as tents are a great fun way for them to go exploring around safely on the mattresses, but outside I love it.
    For baths we use a rectangular washing tub for dishes that perfectly fits a little bottom in it if needed

9. The Following User Says Thank You to kts For This Useful Post:

SeaShanty  (25-10-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews

Kmart have kids blow up air mattresses with built in sleeping bag and foot pump for $19. My son used his 2 weeks ago camping

11. The Following User Says Thank You to ItWasntMe For This Useful Post:

SeaShanty  (25-10-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews

Just subbing as we might go camping with a 3 month old & 2 yr old in March.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by VikkiB View Post
    I haven't been camping since I fell pregnant, so am jealous of you! Have you tried googling the topic? Have fun!
    <a href="http://www.exploroz.com/OntheRoad/Trips_with_Kids/Babies0-12mths.aspx" target="_blank">http://www.exploroz.com/OntheRoad/Trips_with_Kids/Babies0-12mths.aspx</a>
    This is the BEST website - thanks so much!! And thanks everyone else for the other fantastic tips

We've just bought a big 3-room tent (kids in one room, DH & I in another and then a meshed-in 'dining' room) today - I'm so excited! We also bought a single stretcher bed for our toddler to sleep on and we'll get her a kids' sleeping bag too. DH & I will probably buy a QS air mattress.

Fortunately we're not venturing far from civilisation so we can always buy something if we've forgotten.

And yes, I have googled the topic & there are some great websites - found a fantastic PDF checklist called 'The down and dirty guide to camping with kids'.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

We just got back from a week of camping with an 8mo, 2,3 & 5 year old.. Make sure you take bubs favourite toy like bouncer, exersaucer or jumper something that'll keep him entertained. Our bub is a really easy going but was pretty sooky for first 4 days until filling water in a lil bucket and sitting her in it for ages made her day
    Definitely take portacot.
    Only take old knock around clothes they get so dirty so fast.
    Oh n don't over pack has taken me a whole day today unpacking our camper trailer..
    Enjoy your trip

15. The Following User Says Thank You to BabyG4 For This Useful Post:

SeaShanty  (25-10-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews

I go camping with my bub all the time too, he is now 8 months.
    Definately agree on the portacot, and yes you can take it outside and it gives a you a clean secure area for bub to play on.
    Bucket for bath, the soft types from big w etc are fantastic. I take all my sons toys in it, them while I'm there use it for a bath and to wash up.
    Depending on where you are going I also take a mozzie net to put over the portacot at night.
    I take a walker too. We pop him in it when we are setting up and also when we feed him. I know you said she can't sit yet so if she can't hold herself up in a walker maybe try a bumbo.... Atleast then you know she will stay still lol
    Take heaps of warm clothes. I'm not sure where you are but I just got back from camping and it was freezing at night. I had him in 4 layers with a sheet and 3 blankets!
    It's awesome that your bfing as you don't have to worry about sterilizing!
    Feel free to pm me if you wanna know anything else!
    Have an awesome time!