+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Question Hospitals and OBGYN in Adelaide?

Hi everyone,

It's only early days (5 weeks) but my doctor has already suggested that I start thinking about where to have the baby, all going well. I have private health insurance with HCF and waiting to here back what I am covered for I know pregnancy is covered but just not sure how much of it yet.

Does anyone in Adelaide have any favorites preferences? Because I am not telling family and friends yet cant ask any questions or will give away my condition

It's all so overwhelming finding out that we are actually having a baby let alone making these decisions already!

So my best options as I live north eastern suburbs so far would be:
    Private at Calvary North Eastern Community. Anyone used these hospitals or had a OBGYN from one they recommend?
    Public at Lyell Mcewin as a private patient but does any one know if you can pick your own OBGYN at lyell Mac? and if you can which ones deliver there?

Thanks in advance ladies! Any advice is much appreciated.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I live north east as well and went to Northeastern Community for both my DDs births. Both times my experience was fantastic and I recommend the hospital to others. I know quite a few people who have given birth there and not one have anything negative to say about their experience.
    I dont have personal experience of Lyell Mac but from sources (my midwife aunty), the birthing centre is first class. Lyell Mac would certainly be my second choice.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I have never had a bub there but i have heard really good things about Calvery and some not so good things about the Lyall mac. I have had all my bubs at WCh but publicly as i have really bad pregnancy and this is the best place to be.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Default Hospitals and OBGYN in Adelaide?

A good friend of mine is in the obgyn program in Lyell mac. She thinks very highly of her consultants.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I had my children and the Lyell mac in the birthing centre and loved it there. They were very supportive to my choices as I wanted water births. If you want a natural birth then I would go the birthing centre. It's really nice and everyone has their own room and double bed which was really nice

Thanks
    Reviews
    Sil has gone with shivagos (sp?) for both her kids. From what she says he's great and really lovely. They had both at Calvery and highly reccomend both her ob and the hospital

Thanks
    Reviews

I had my first baby at north eastern. Would recommend it. The food was amazing and we stayed the for 5 days. DH got to stay with my as I had a double bed. Only prob was the walls are thin and the people next door kept us up. For your first you want to be as comfortable as possible because it is all new. You also probably will stay longer so they can teach you what to do (if you go private that is).

One thing I didn't realise when making the decision on which hospital was the cost. Even though I had a very high level of private health cover, that actually only covers you when you are admitted and have the baby. However, the main costs are during your pregnancy. I am about to have my second baby through shared care (i have my appointments with my GP rather than an obyn) and cannot believe how expensive Medicare make it for you if you go private.

Examples - they have bulk billed all scans this time opposed to me being out of pocket about $100 each time. Last time I had to pay a planning and management fee just to be a patient of the obstetrician. Mine wasn't too expensive, only about $1200 I think but some near where I live now at Flinders Private charge $3,000. Medicare only gave me about $250 back. Then I had to pay $70 for every appointment and barely got half back from Medicare. Considering you go there every 4 weeks, then fortnightly and weekly it all adds up.

Then when you go into labour you have to pay your gap for being admitted. From memory this was $250. If you have an epidural you have to pay a gap for an anethesist which varies on the time of day/night and how many top ups you get. My brother had his tonsils out during the day and his anethesist gap was $500. It seriously becomes a very expensive exercise for a family about to go onto 1 wage.

Then when you decide what you are willing to pay for the experience, you have to process the fact that if you go public you may have to share a room. You are given a midwife to deliver the baby instead of an obstetrician (unless there are complications). I am not overly happy with the level of care I am getting this time vs last time (I was able to call my obstetrician 24-7) where as you can't do that with a GP.

If I lived in north eastern suburbs I wouldn't hesitate to go back to north Eastern community hospital but have decided to go public through flinders as the cost is so high and seems a waste when I intend on being sent home asap so I can be in my own bed and at home with my other son.

There's a lot to weigh up but at the end if the day the outcome should be the same - you will have a baby!
    Last edited by tiny2011; 22-10-2012 at 06:27.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I went public through WCH, couldnt really fault them. Have also heard good things about Lyell Mac in recent times since they upgraded it. And lots of people have said good things about North Eastern community too.
    Do you know whether you want to go through wards, or midwifery program or birth centre? That might help you narrow your choice down. If you go public where you live will also limit your choice, as in if you go to WCH and live north east you wont get into the midwifery group. Good luck.
    Last edited by soccer mum; 22-10-2012 at 06:39.

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Re: Hospitals and OBGYN in Adelaide?

thanks for all the info guys will have to have a look over everything didnt realise so much to consider...

does anyone know if I go private patient at Lyell McEwen if I can choose my own obgyn?? may have to call them :-)

Sent from my GT-I9300 using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews

Give Lyell mcewin a call :-) the head midwives there are fantastic to talk to or maybe the pregnancy ingine can tell you. I'm going to Lyell mc but I didn't want an obstetrician so I can't help you there. Usually the obstetrician u have would needs rights to particulsr hospitals. It's an amazing hospital though and I've heard so many great things.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to march2013 For This Useful Post:

mylittlesurprise  (22-10-2012)