+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Should i wake her up for a feed?

DD is 6 days old an she sleeps a LOT! She wakes up every 4 hours for a 20 min feed and goes straight back to sleep. Although she stays awake longer at night time.
    Her sleepiness might be caused by her mild jaundice. I dont remember DS sleeping that much when he was a newborn. I am also breastfeeding and was expecting way more frequent feeds than this. Shall i wake her up for a feed or should i leave her alone? Shes sleeping almost 20 hours a day! Probably more today.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 14/11/14100 Posts in a week

Default Re: Should i wake her up for a feed?

Sounds normal to me. Dd2 did that until she was about 6-8 weeks old. Now she is the opposite.

Sent from my magical black talky thingy using BubHub

HugsBunny is offline Once upon a time there was a bunny.........
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Never wake a sleeping baby.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Quote Originally Posted by HugsBunny View Post
    Never wake a sleeping baby.
    This! LOL... If during the day she was going on 6 hours I would wake her for a feed, (just my 'rule), but otherwise of she's happy and gaining weight is leave her - she sounds like she's doing brilliantly... And just make sure she gets a lite extra sunlight each day to rid the jaundice totally!

Thanks
    Reviews
    My DD did this. My CHN told me not to let her go any longer than 4 hours between feeds, so I tried waking her but it just did not work. She wouldn't wake, so I'd try and feed her in her sleep but she's only take a tiny amount. Then, given that she'd had a small feed, she'd sleep for even longer and wake up starving as a result. It just threw everything out for the day. I gave up and went back to demand feeding and she's turned out just fine

Thanks
    Reviews
    Sounds very normal to me - newborns often sleep a lot during the day because their sleep cycles are back to front. I also had the advice of not letting them sleep past four hours but I never took it, I never woke a sleeping baby.

Thanks
    Reviews
    K
    Quote Originally Posted by justthe3ofus View Post
    My DD did this. My CHN told me not to let her go any longer than 4 hours between feeds, so I tried waking her but it just did not work. She
    This. For DS to gain weight and to establish my milk supply. They actually said every 3 hours, but I would go 4 at night. This only lasted about 10 days though. DS has been wide awake since then

matalee is offline The greater the fight, the greater the victory
    Thanks
    Reviews

My DS had mild jaundice & I was told to feed him every three hours to flush it out. I did this during the day but wasn't too concerned at night. One time he was so asleep I had to strip him to wake him enough for the feed & then when he fell asleep during the feed (and hadn't been feeding long) I then dressed him so he was awake again to finish the feed. I only did his for a few days though.

Thanks
    Reviews

You sound like you hit the jackpot with this bub! Enjoy your rest while you have it. I've never had that problem with DD.

I'd only advise to start waking if your supply is dropping or if bub isn't gaining weight.

Thanks
    Reviews

DD was like this for almost 2 weeks. I had to strip her naked (to nappy anyway) and then use a cold wet cloth to rub her with. I would try to wake her every 4 hours or so. They still need to eat, because if they don't eat they get weaker and sleepier! She wakes pretty much every 3 hours on the dot now at 4 weeks.