+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Oh and I never feel let down when I fed or express. Just at odd times throughout the day.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to GreenMama For This Useful Post:

Mom2TwoDSs  (22-10-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Sarelou View Post
    My DD is 4 weeks old, sometimes she cluster feeds almost constantly especially when it's hot weather. It is really hard especially when you are hungry/need a shower/need to do clothes washing but I figure the girl has gotta eat! I keep muesli bars and fruit on hand as much as I can and have water bottles everywhere. It's the best way to increase as far as I have read, but I haven't had that problem, maybe I fed too much lol. My little one chokes from the flow Keep going, you are doing great and you will get there with persistence xx
    I so wanted it to work this time as it was worse with DS1. Thanks!

I will try to get DS2 off formula today day time and BOOB him.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by GreenMama View Post
    Also don't base how much you are able to express on how much milk you have. Babies are much better at extracting milk than a pump and your breasts are never empty, even if they feel it, if bubs keeps suckling you will keep making milk. Some women are never able to express much but have a perfectly fine supply. It is full on but it won't take long for your supply to bulk up if you just feed, feed, feed! My 10 week old still has days when I pretty much do nothing but feed her.

I know how it feels to think you don't have enough milk, I had to spend 4 nights in hospital when my DD was 3 weeks due to a PPH and spent most of that time nil by mouth and my supply dropped right off. I was so concerned and stressed 24/7 that she wasn't getting enough food but I look back now and realise she was happy so there was no real cause for concern. I just fed her pretty much constantly once we got home and after a week or so things were back to normal.

Just try not to over think it. Like everyone said make yourself comfortable, surround yourself with food and water, put on something to watch and put the baby to your breast. Unless your baby is howling the place down or losing huge amounts of weight, you don't need to worry. They'll let you know if they're hungry! Good luck hun.

I keep reading the volume expressed isn't representative of my supply but whilst DS2 latches on well and happily nurses at my breast, I can see when he does swallow and when he isn't. Most times he isn't so I conclude I am not making enough.

also after a long time at boob and coming off he isn't satisfied.

Thanks
    Reviews
    If he's not satisfied just try and put him back on. It's totally normal for a newborn to be feeding for 12 hours a day! I know my daughter definitely did. Also they want to be at the breast for more than just food...he could be full but just want to suckle for comfort or to be close to you But you know your baby best hun!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Default Hoping to increase supply

Quote Originally Posted by Mom2TwoDSs View Post
    So it is workable to put him to boob every minute for few days? It just sounded scary to me.

comp feeding cos it started that way to improve his blood sugars due to my GD. So it went that way when we came home.
    Yep thats normal. You don't have low supply... You are just producing what your body thinks bub needs. Ditch the formula and feed bub whenever it squawks. It will take less than 2-3 days for you to catch up completely with bub.

Bm is food, water and comfort so you can never overfeed a bf baby.

7. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Rose&Aurelia&Hannah For This Useful Post:

GreenMama  (22-10-2012),missie_mackxxxx  (22-10-2012),Mom2TwoDSs  (22-10-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    My milk was slow to come in and bubba lost too much weight in the first few days after birth. So we comp fed using a feeding line while he was on the boob. I took fenugreek & blessed thistle vitamins/supplement that i bought at the health food shop, drank fenugreek and ate lactation cookies that i made (recipe on bubhub somewhere). Once his weight was back up the maternal health nurse said to try a week of just breast feeding, it was scary, I was so worried he'd starve. But it worked!
    If concerned get advise from a nurse??
    My let down happens a minute or so into the feed I think. Expressing I get very little milk, unless it iris a day when I am at work at its been 5 hours, then they are full and I get a bit more. Most days my boobs don't feel full and I still worry about supply, when I worry I make more cookies! The nurse told me that your body will make what the baby needs, it's great and making the perfect amount, so I agree with the others who say just feed ... Feed feed, whenever bubba wants it ... If your baby is like mine he might get a bit frustrated about the slowness, but keep him sucking and eventually it will kick in!
    my boy is now a chubby bubba, some days he needs to feed more than others, it's a good excuse for cuddles

it is tiring at the start but once it kicks in, you'll be so pleased you were able to persist.

Good Luck

9. The Following User Says Thank You to fionaalice For This Useful Post:

Mom2TwoDSs  (22-10-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I am really glad that my friend shared her experience with me yesterday (her daughter rejected formula strangely at 3rd month and she had no choice used breast though her supply was low and she bf 3 years!) and super glad that I threw the questions here. Cos I always thought I must sustain baby with formula as i am not producing enough and never imagine its normal to boob him around the clock even with not much milk supply.

thanks so much!

this morning told dh and nanny that I will stop day formula and boob him constantly starting with morning feed. He did quite a bit of nursing and now is sleeping...amazingly he didn't even scream in hunger.

Fingers crossed for me!!!

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Mom2TwoDSs For This Useful Post:

missie_mackxxxx  (22-10-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Hoping to increase supply

Great news! Keep us updated on how you go

Thanks
    Reviews
    Good on you! I have a crazy oversupply and getting through the beginning of Breastfeeding was one of the hardest times in my life. DD is now five months and we are going strong

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi my friend was told to try Weleda Nursing Tea, sustagen, fenugreek and raspberry leaf herbs are all good for increasing milk supply Not sure which one she ended up trying thou