+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Hoping to increase supply

I am expressing BM every 2-3 hours. Should I always expect a let down when I start expressing?

Also there were times when I felt the let down but it didn't coincide with my expressing time. Should I then express when I feel the let down?

Ps am latching bub on as often as possible besides using pump.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

I would pump straight after a bf

Have you got a script for motilium? It's a great drug and it took 2-3 days to work for me.

Drink loads of water, skin-skin contact and eat well.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Cos am struggling with supply. Bubs on formula since hospital due to hypoglycaemia, has recovered and he's latching well but not getting enough from me. So we had to comp feed and I would express after his feed. He takes 70ml formula 2-4hrly. When I express I get 10ml with hand compression. I nurse him whenever he wants eg putting him down to sleep.

A friend told me just now how she had low supply n comp fed. But then her baby rejected bottle at third month of birth and she had no choice but 100% bf and somehow she bf for 3years!

I am tempted to wean bub off formula and just bf 100% but am so scared he would starve cos I don't have enough. Or perhaps I am just being very low in confidence. If I attempt what she suggested, wouldn't bub be at my breasts 24hours??

Bubs 9 day old and hasn't lost much weight from birth. Only lost around 50g on day 5 after birth.

what do you think?

i am on motilium 20mg thrice a day and fenugreek/blessed thistle.
    Last edited by Mom2TwoDSs; 21-10-2012 at 22:50.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

If bub hasn't lost weight then there is no harm in putting bub to boob for 2-3 days straight with no top ups. Just set up the scene with loads of movies, food to snack on and water. Just feed/sleep.

When my supply disappeared I did this. My toddler didn't do much other than watch tv and other easy activities for that time.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Rose&Aurelia&Hannah For This Useful Post:

Mom2TwoDSs  (22-10-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews

And if bubs hasn't lost weight much why are you comp feeding? I would think that comp feeding only becomes necessary if bub is losing >500gms. 50gm is a poop!

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Rose&Aurelia&Hannah For This Useful Post:

Mom2TwoDSs  (22-10-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews

My DD lost 80grams (which I was told is bugger all) and I have over supply. Ditch the formula and be a topless milk cow for a few days lol.

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sarelou For This Useful Post:

missie_mackxxxx  (22-10-2012),Mom2TwoDSs  (22-10-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    So it is workable to put him to boob every minute for few days? It just sounded scary to me.

comp feeding cos it started that way to improve his blood sugars due to my GD. So it went that way when we came home.

Thanks
    Reviews

My DD is 4 weeks old, sometimes she cluster feeds almost constantly especially when it's hot weather. It is really hard especially when you are hungry/need a shower/need to do clothes washing but I figure the girl has gotta eat! I keep muesli bars and fruit on hand as much as I can and have water bottles everywhere. It's the best way to increase as far as I have read, but I haven't had that problem, maybe I fed too much lol. My little one chokes from the flow Keep going, you are doing great and you will get there with persistence xx

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Sarelou For This Useful Post:

Mom2TwoDSs  (22-10-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews

Also the PPs have much more experience and knowledge then me, really good advice in there

Thanks
    Reviews
    Also don't base how much you are able to express on how much milk you have. Babies are much better at extracting milk than a pump and your breasts are never empty, even if they feel it, if bubs keeps suckling you will keep making milk. Some women are never able to express much but have a perfectly fine supply. It is full on but it won't take long for your supply to bulk up if you just feed, feed, feed! My 10 week old still has days when I pretty much do nothing but feed her.

I know how it feels to think you don't have enough milk, I had to spend 4 nights in hospital when my DD was 3 weeks due to a PPH and spent most of that time nil by mouth and my supply dropped right off. I was so concerned and stressed 24/7 that she wasn't getting enough food but I look back now and realise she was happy so there was no real cause for concern. I just fed her pretty much constantly once we got home and after a week or so things were back to normal.

Just try not to over think it. Like everyone said make yourself comfortable, surround yourself with food and water, put on something to watch and put the baby to your breast. Unless your baby is howling the place down or losing huge amounts of weight, you don't need to worry. They'll let you know if they're hungry! Good luck hun.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to GreenMama For This Useful Post:

Mom2TwoDSs  (22-10-2012)