+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Comments about unusual names

Sooooo annoy me. I hate when people ask what's his name and i say it and they screw their faces up and say oh that's unusual or they say everyone is using strange names these days.

Seriously they don't think that is offensive? My baby is half Asian so has an Asian name.. Not weird at all in dh country augh

Or they just go ooohh and give a Wtf look

Sorry had to vent. Does anyone else get comments like that?

Reading the post on unusual names you love for babies but wouldn't use brought up these feelings again..

Thanks
    Reviews
    While I think openly commenting or making it obvious that you think a particular name is "weird", and while I wouldn't do it, I do think it can't be that much of a surprise.

Names are going to be viewed in the context of the life of the person who hear it so if your child does have a different name (even if its common in a different culture or country) you have to accept that some people are going to find it strange. And then they'll comment on it because most people arerude.

Thanks
    Reviews

If you love it don't worry! We get alot of compliments on DDs name (Charlize Amarli) but also some people can't say it properly..

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Sarelou For This Useful Post:

WineTime  (20-10-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by WineTime View Post
    And then they'll comment on it because most people are rude.
    Hahaha true!

London is offline “I think we're losing our sense of humor instead of being able to relax and laugh at ourselves" - Betty White
    Winner 2012 - BubHubber you'd like to meet IRL
    Winner 2012 - Best Avatar

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Sorry it upsets you. Im one of those people who would say something like 'ohhh thats an unusual name' in a nice way. I cant even pronounce (or spell) half of the names of the kids I work with. 'Unusual' names seem to be common now, but they normally still get a reaction.
    A friend of mine is French and I didnt know how to pronounce her name for about a month after I met her. I just avoided saying it so I didnt offend her. Sure, its a normal name in France, but uncommon here.....so when I finally found out how to say it I did say 'thats a different name' ..again, in a polite way.

Try to remember that most people arent trying to offend you...just making conversation.

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Re: Comments about unusual names

My ds Aparently has a weird name,

My mum openly said she hated it before he was born, my aunty in law went oh i dont know if i like that but it'll grow on me.

Random strangers say oh that's nice / pretty / different or old, i get told it's an 'old' name alot by older people,

They usually then mention the singer or a t.v character i have never heard of,

I dont care, i didnt name hiM @rsehole or dingbatbrain or something & his name is a legit name so what randoms think of it does not bother me.

Sent from my MB526 using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews
    My DH and I chose our names long before conception and are just hoping our little one suits his when he arrives in 2 weeks. His name will be Percival. Yes it's an old fashioned, uncommon name. Yes we've received lots of criticism about it but you know what? He's our son and we love that name and we'll love him too!
    we do have some "back-up" names just in case he really isn't a Percy tho

Thanks
    Reviews
    My Grandma refuses to call my cousin's baby by his name because its 'cruel'.. instead she calls him by his second middle name That said, this baby has blonde hair, blue eyes and a Japanese name so it is a little odd. I think its pretty normal for people to be curious about a name they haven't heard before, or names that are spelt 'differently' (like the Baileigh that I came accross the other day )
    Last edited by Tainted; 21-10-2012 at 07:38.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I get the opposite. my DD's have names that are current Top 10 names and I get "oh another xxx. It's very popular/common these days". I usually respond "it is. that's because it's a gorgeous classic name. I just love it". I don't think most people are being rude, it's just the first thing that pops into their head. Possibly the same as when people comment that your DS has an unusual name.

Try not to get offended OP, you love the name, that's all that matters.

ETA: just re-read your original post. People screwing their nose up is very rude. You need to think of a great come back line to stop them in their tracks next time it happens. I'm not very good with come back lines though, so i'll leave it up to you.
    Last edited by GirlsRock; 21-10-2012 at 10:36.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I wouldn't let it bother you. When we named ds (a very old, often unheard of name, that has a lot of history), we had told people from the moment I was pregnant what his name would be. People were not shy at all at expressing their dislike for it - I would say 90% of reactions were not positive. He is now 3.5 and I cannot count how many of these same people now say 'I am so glad you didn't listen to me!'

Many names require time to get used to before others fall in love with them, too.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Barnaby For This Useful Post:

Waggers70  (22-10-2012)