+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default How do you preare your water for making up formula?

Im just wondering what's the best way to go about preparing the water for formula?

My DD generally only has the occasional FF, but as my milk gets less recently I'm giving her more formula. Each night after I've washed my bottles, i've just been boiling enough water for 180ml in a saucepan & keeping it in the bottle on the bench ready to just add formula when its time for a feed. Also i'm feeding them at room temp.

Is there an easier way to prepare a larger quantity of water?

How long would the boiled water (in the bottle) be safe to sit out on the bench at room temp? (say if I didn't need to use it that day)

Thanks!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

I fill all my washed bottles with the required amount of freshly boiled water from the kettle, allow to cool a bit then put lids on tight. Then I just sit them on the bench. We only use 2 per day (one to mix formula to go on her cereal and one bottle feed before bed) so they sit for a few days sometimes. They're sealed so I figure it's fine. Then I just add formula when needed and serve at room temp.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Dont know of this is the "right" way. But I used to sterilize a full days worth of bottles. Then fill each with the required amount of boiling water, lid on and store in the fridge.

Then I'd add the formula powered as required to each bottle through the day.

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Re: How do you preare your water for making up formula?

Quote Originally Posted by WineTime View Post
    Dont know of this is the "right" way. But I used to sterilize a full days worth of bottles. Then fill each with the required amount of boiling water, lid on and store in the fridge.

I used to do this too.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews

I sterilise all bottles and leave them in the steraliser container until needed then pour in pre boiled water from kettle. I push boil again on kettle for maybe ten seconds to warm the water

So just one bottle poured as needed but i like your idea better i will start having them all ready with water!

Thanks
    Reviews

I used to let my boiled water cool to the right temperature, then put it in the thermos, so if I had to go out I'd take it with me, otherwise it sat on the bench.

I found that the easiest way for me.
    I'd do that every night, so water wouldn't be older then 24hrs- don't know why, just thought your not supposed to keep it for longer!

Thanks
    Reviews

Yep we do this.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 14/11/14100 Posts in a week

Quote Originally Posted by Cue View Post
    I fill all my washed bottles with the required amount of freshly boiled water from the kettle, allow to cool a bit then put lids on tight. Then I just sit them on the bench. We only use 2 per day (one to mix formula to go on her cereal and one bottle feed before bed) so they sit for a few days sometimes. They're sealed so I figure it's fine. Then I just add formula when needed and serve at room temp.
    This ^

I figure by filling with boiling water kills any nasties that may be lurking. I leave our bottles at room temp for up to a few days.

Sent from my magical black talky thingy using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews

Same.

Thanks
    Reviews

I only just found this out, boiling your tap water does kill the nasties but also highly increases the concentration of flouride. We have a filter on our tap which i am glad about.

Sent from my GT-N7000B using BubHub