+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Allergy Intolerance testing

Hi,

DD is nearly 8 months has silent reflux and recently started getting worse as was her eczema so we went back to the paed who said she was likely Cows Milk Protein Intolerant so he put her onto a soy formula. He said that she may also have an intolerance to that because 60% of babies intolerant to Cows Milk Protein are also intolerant to soy.

He also booked us in for a blood test. I had a message from the paed office saying the test came back with a moderate allergy (or intolerance, I can't remember which one they test for in a blood test) to egg and wheat but said nothing about dairy or soy.

Firstly, what does the blood test test for? Allergies or intolerances?

Also, I'm so worried that our next child will also have reflux and allergies as well and I don't want it to take this long to work out what he/she may be allergic to.

What is the earliest they can do blood and skin prick tests on babies to test for allergies and intolerances? Obviously these can be developed over time, but it would be useful to know from birth (if possible) if there are any allergies or intollerances. Can these be tested for in hospital when babies are born?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Blood test (RAST tests) only show up allergies- so an immune system response, which would possible result in hives, rashes, itchy eyes, runny nose, etc. They generally won't show up intolerances which primarily involve the gastrointestinal system.
    The testing can be very unreliable for babies and little people and show false positives, but I believe a negative result is accurate.
    Here's a good read on allergies/ intolerances.
    http://home.vicnet.net.au/~disa/Food...ic%20baby.html
    HTH

Thanks
    Reviews

As for future babies having allergies/ intolerances, all 3 of mine have had issues. DD1 had cows milk, soy and egg allergy which she has grown out of, but she is still allergic to 3 types of tree nuts.
    DD2 was CMSPI with severe reflux and DS was CMSPI with reflux, although by number 3 I went off all soy and dairy before he was born and because I knew the signs of reflux, when we went home and he screamed for 48 hrs straight I was straight back to the paed and he was on reflux medication from 8 days old.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thank you, that helps! So if the blood test said allergic to wheat and egg, it's possible she's not allergic?

Thanks
    Reviews

Definitely possible.

Thanks
    Reviews

It's also useful to know that the blood test results don't really give you an indication of how severe a reaction may be. They can indicate the likelihood of a reaction and how likely they are to outgrow the allergy, but the changes in results from one test to the next will give more information than a single test result.
    For example, my DD has a known macadamia nut allergy. She was recently tested and it was found she has been sensitised to almonds and hazelnuts, which I am absolutely sure she has never been exposed to. She is not to have any tree nuts until she has been tested again, as although the test results show she is currently fine with other nuts, allergies can develop at any time and it may be that she has just never been exposed to the other nuts. Usually it's not the first exposure that brings the worst reaction, it's the second where the immune system has recognised the protein as a foreign body.
    If your DD's care provider has advised to avoid particular foods, I'd definitely be taking their advice.

Thanks
    Reviews

Yeah advice is to challenge the wheat allergy in a few weeks then challenge the egg allergy in a month or so.

We tried to go back onto cows milk formula but two feeds later, we r scrapping that plan and going back to soy formula. She became almost instantly unsettled with runny almost frothy poo. So though she's not allergic to dairy, I'm pretty sure she is intolerant.