+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator - Thank you
    Bubhub Blogger

Default Re: Breast reduction

Cat rules. It's a bit of a myth on the big boobs = difficulty feeding thing. Often makes mum more uncomfortable with their own body and just means different positions. At my peak I was a 10L and could feed fine.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using BubHub

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Izy For This Useful Post:

Ceili  (23-10-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Breast reduction

Well I'm only going by what my surgeon said, I suppose she was going on experiences of her patients. She is one of the most known surgeons in Melbourne for this procedure.

Also I suppose it can b hard if u already have huge breasts you may struggle with breastfeeding if your size increases even more. The pain from the size alone would make u feel horrible I suppose. That was alot why I decided to get it done now rather than wait a decade till after I've had a family. I wouldn't want the extra size and weight when I couldn't even put up with the size when I had it done. I was taking pain killers every day as i had back pain sitting at a desk all day. I was short of breath as i had to wear quite a tight bra to keep them hoisted up! I was spreading $100 per bra every couple if months having to buy them online from the UK as my size wasn't stocked here (now Myer is starting to stock these sizes).

Having done it I would advise not to wait, do it as soon as you can afford it and have the time, one of the best things I've ever done! To go from a H cup to now being able to go bra free most days, it's the best! The scars are almost gone now 2yrs later.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 14/11/14100 Posts in a week

The out of pocket expenses.. Is it one big lump sum or is it the result of lots of appointments?

Sent from my magical black talky thingy using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Breast reduction

The first appointment part of it will be partly refunded by Medicare if you get a referral from your GP first, usually a couple of hundred dollars. After that my surgeon told me her fee and that was a lump sum. Then I got some back from Medicare and my private insurance after I sent in the claims post op. You have 1 appointment usually to examine you and decide to go ahead or not. Then the op, then weekly appointments for up to 6 weeks. These check ups to change dressings, take out stitches etc we're all included in the lump sum I had already paid, so I didn't have to pay anything at these appointments.

you will also get a bill for your anesthetist either before or after the surgery. Anything from a few hundred to $1000. You pay upfront and claim some back. There will be a hospital fee, that will depend upon your private insurance as to what your excess is. Mine was $250.
    Then you will have some other expenses such as buying a surgical bra and compression socks to wear during surgery and also your pain medication.

It really depends upon if you are going thru public or private. I went through private. You will have less out of pocket if you go public but I was told the waiting list in melb is 2-3yrs min and in other states I've heard 5+ yrs. I only had to wait 8 weeks.

even if you gp private you can still access Medicare rebates, you just have to make sure u go through your GP first to b eligible. You can research surgeons online, find the one you want to see and take their details to your gp for a referral.
    Last edited by 3cats1pug; 22-10-2012 at 12:57.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator - Thank you
    Bubhub Blogger

And if you do go private medicare party towards medical but not the hospital it's self.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Breast reduction

Yes you def want to have private insurance to go private. Otherwise the hospital costs could run tens of thousands. I think a breast reduction without medical reasons can be up to $20,000. It costs alot more than getting breast implants.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to 3cats1pug For This Useful Post:

Izy  (22-10-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews

Thank you everyone. Due to having health insurance i have had quotes fromm 2-5k depending on if they are a no gap doc. Deffinately not as expensice as i thought it would be. If i am not pregnant by end of nov i think i will go ahead with it.

Sent from my GT-N7000B using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Breast reduction

Hi I had a breast reduction/uplift about 8 years ago. I don't know whether I would do this again if I had my time over or not.
    I actually had a stroke about 3 months later. Thinking due to no drain tubes & flying overseas. BUT would be dodgy surgeon so just do ur homework there. Mine cost 12k. I was a 12DD, but my problem was extremely saggy from weight gain & loss. I was a 12C after surgery.
    I have gone onto have 2 children, I'm still BF my 15mth old and have had no issues breast feeding at all... My boobs tho are a 12E at the moment so who knows what they will look like once I'm done!

Thanks
    Reviews
    I still suggest you think very carefully about the potential effects on breastfeeding. The negative effects of having the surgery (ie my inability to breastfeed) has outweighed the negative effects of my large breasts pre surgery. I regret undergoing the surgery, and while this isn't everyone's experience, it is possible. I just had no idea I would feel so strongly about breastfeeding until it was too late. I would suggest like PP that you read Defining Your Own Success to read the potential effects.

ETA My pain pre surgery was not severe, and I appreciate that experiencing severe pain, breathing difficulties etc may impact on your decision. Good luck with whatever you decide.
    Last edited by Ceili; 23-10-2012 at 21:42.