+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Breast reduction

So i have finally decided enough is enough and am going to get a breast reduction.

I want to hear any stories of others who have donn it, especially anyone who got pregnant after and the effects it had to your breasts.

All feedback greatly appreciated.

Sent from my GT-N7000B using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews
    I had a breast reduction approximately 12 years ago and would advise you to think very carefully about undergoing the procedure if there is any chance you want to breastfeed, as the surgery can severely effect your ability to produce and maintain a supply, due to nerve damage and tissue removal. The degree of damage and subsequent affect on breastfeeding does depend on the type of surgery you have.

I am only able to produce a small supply and have experienced depression related to this. My breasts have also grown beyond their pre-surgery size through my two pregnancies.

I'm happy to answer any other specific questions you have too.
    Last edited by Ceili; 20-10-2012 at 20:41.

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Re: Breast reduction

Thank you for your advise. The milk is my main concern but i am unsure if i can handle the pain and discomfort and psycological affects for another 5+ years.

I havent spoken to a surgeon yet. Will speak to them first before i decide 100%

Thanks
    Reviews
    Excellent advice from previous poster. Any reputable surgeon will advise for you to finish your family first.

I had a reduction 8 years before I had my DD and I am lucky to be able to exclusively breastfeed. BUT, it has taken A LOT of work, a great deal of luck and copious medication to get my supply up. DD was also quite thin until she was old enough for solids - on reflection, she wasn't getting quite enough milk.

I am now also much, much bigger than I was before my reduction (in the bust) and that is a normal consequence of pregnancy.

I can really understand how you are feeling and how ready you must be to have the surgery! But I hope you consider the very real consequences on your body in the future.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator - Thank you
    Bubhub Blogger

I was so excited for so long, that once I had kids I could have by breasts reduced.

As it turns out, there's no need. I'm still bf img. But only at night and they've shrunk right down!

You may not even need it after kids

Sent from my GT-I9100 using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 14/11/14100 Posts in a week

For those that *have finished* having kids or have no intention of bf-ing in future, what are your thoughts? I need a reduction too and am curious too. Are you happy with the outcome, did they grow back, is it covered by medicare, how much did it cost? Did you have any regrets, if so what were they?

Sent from my magical black talky thingy using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews
    I was REALLY happy with my surgery. So much more comfortable, looked great, could exercise etc.

The important thing I think is to have no more pregnancies (even without breastfeeding, this will affect your breasts obviously), no weight to lose or gain - basically no radical changes in your body. If you are pregnant, your breasts will grow (generally). If you gain weight, they will grow. If you lose weight, they will probably become more saggy etc.

I think my surgeon said at the time that about 50% of people need revision surgery because the breasts grow, or sag etc.

It CAN be covered by Medicare, if it is affecting your health. Mine were causing great back and neck pain, grooves in my shoulder and skin irritation. So it was covered, and I was about $5000 out of pocket.

Best of luck!

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Breast reduction

Mine was covered by Medicare. I had mine done in 2010 when I was 27. I haven't had any children (trying to now). I was about $4000 out of pocket afterwards. I had a revision about 6 months after the original surgery to take out more as I felt they were still too big. That was at no charge.
    I was a 8H and now am a 16D (due to weight gain and also the breasts change shape after a reduction to a more boxy shape which I think requires a bigger cup so the wire doesn't dig into the scars).

My surgeon told me that lots of girls don't know that having large breasts in the first place can make breast feeding hard. It's possible that reducing their size will increase my chances to breastfeed. She was careful to keep the nipple intact and the milk ducts. Only time will tell tho.
    I have no feeling in the nipples and other areas.

It's about a 5 week down time also after the surgery and 1 night in hospital.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Anyone who is breastfeeding after a reduction could visit bfar.org and read 'Defining Your Own Success' by Diana West. Both excellent resources. Also helps a lot to link in with a lactation consultant who has experience working with women post breast surgery and has access to SNS etc.

Thanks
    Reviews

I am only 163cm with 14G bust. I have a small torso and waist and would be wearing size 10 clothes if my chest wasnt so large. I am trying for my first and feel really torn. I cant stand the way i look, clothes shopping brings me almost to tears i am disgusted by my own breasts so cant even imagine the thought of breastfeeding. I will talk to a surgeon and see what they think.