+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default How much losec??

dd is 5 weeks and our gp has just increased her losec from 5mg to 10mg a day.. Just worried we are giving her to much considering how young she is. We hve an appt with a pediatrician next week but from now till then not sure if we shld follow our GPs instructions are wait till we see the pedi.

lola77 is offline BH Advocate - Sydney: Northern Beaches
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default How much losec??

My son is 3 so I'm a little hazy on the detail now but I recall his being upped from 5 to 10 by the paed.
    Are you crushing or dissolving or have you had a suspension made at a compounding pharmacy?
    My GP told me to crush it which i was doing, until I found on here that doing that destroys the active ingredient!!
    I had a suspension made up once but it was super expensive compared to the tablets.

I eventually weaned him off after he started solids at 17 weeks.

Hope you get some reassurance from the paed!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default How much losec??

Losec doses depend on weight. A low dose can be as little as 0.7mg per kg per day and a large dose can be up to 3.3mg per kg per day. At 4 months ( and just over 5kgs) my DD was on 15mg a day, as well as Zantac. If the 5mg isn't keeping the reflux symptoms under control, an increase in the dose can be needed. Doses need to be increased as bub gains weight.
    HTH