+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Moving toddler out of cot, experience please

So I've decided to move my 2 year old into a bed. At least for her afternoon naps. I tried today and she just played in her room, which is fine but she is getting to tired around 4pm, which is too late for her to nap.

i knew it wouldn't be easy and I'm happy to keep trying ( I'm sure she'll get it eventually), I'm just keen to her everyone else's experiences on transitioning their toddlers to a bed. how many times did you have to put them back in their bed and how many days did it take for them to adjust?

thanks

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Subscribing! Nearly 2yo DS needs to move into a bed soon, I'm just too chicken to try!

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Re: Moving toddler out of cot, experience please

DS took to it really well just before he turned 18 months. I lay down next to him and sing songs for awhile and he falls asleep within half an hour or so. He'll stay in there til around 3ish where he comes into our bed til the morning. I don't mind at the moment. If je comes out earlier, before we've gone to bed I settle him in his own room.

Sent from my GT-I9000 using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Re: Moving toddler out of cot, experience please

Oh, also the first night he came into our room around midnight, second night 3am, third night 5am.
    Sometimes he spends the whole night in his room, most nights he's in our bed at some point.

Sent from my GT-I9000 using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I'm going through this now and it's been a bit of a nightmare - I've decided DS (recently turned 2) isn't ready yet.

Although he was excited to go to bed in his big bed, he struggled getting to sleep. I tried everything, over weeks. Sometimes I had to put him in his cot until he fell asleep (always quickly!) then move him to bed. But then he started waking during the night and wandering to my room! Then he'd stay awake and wiggle all around for another hour or two before going back to sleep. We have a big house and I started having nightmares he would wander around, open the laundry sliding door and wander outside!

Ive since put him back in his cot and he's back to sleeping well and through the night. I've decided not to worry for now. It's very tough, much tougher than I thought it would be!

Thanks
    Reviews

I took the side off DDs cot after she started walking, I left her like that for a couple of months and then took her shopping for linen for her single bed and hyped her up about sleeping in a big bed and she never looked back

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts

My daughter was no problem when we moved her to a bed, she had just turned 2. My son moved a week ago and it has been hit and miss. Day sleeps have been terrible, and it takes an hour to get him to sleep at night and he has been waking up a lot earlier. Last night, he got up 3 times during the night, he hasn't done this before since being moved to a bed, and I'm hoping it doesn't get repeated tonight. I put him to bed at 7:30 and am still waiting for him to go to sleep. I will be happy if he just stays in bed all of tonight. The only reason I moved him was because he was climbing out if his cot. It's been an absolute nightmare, but it's only been a week, and I have read it can take up to 6 weeks.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

My DD is still in a cot at 20 months. I'm subbing for tips hoping to get her abed soon and start the scary transition

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

We just moved DD2 at 22mths. The first 10days were crap. We had to lay with her so she'd go to sleep and arvo naps were non existent.
    Then one day i put her to bed and needed to go to the bathroom so i just left her and when i came back she was asleep! From that day all was fine and back to regular sleeping routine

Thanks
    Reviews
    I have just moved DS to a bed last week. He was all excited about it! (got a Thomas tank bed) and slept like normal through the night until yesterday when he figured out he can get out whenever he likes. He has just had the biggest melt down tantrum of all time for more than half an hour at bed time. This has never happend before, he normally likes going to sleep! I don't understand why he protested so much! Maybe it's scary knowing that he can get in and out of bed when ever he likes? everything about bed time has always been the same routine and he's always go to sleep with no fuss. Please explain!??