+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    FearlessLeader is offline Winner 2013 - Most Memorable Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts

Default Re: Is being skinny worth being depressed?

As others have said, moderation is key. No, you won't be able to stuff yourself silly with desserts, but you can still have dessert. You can't eat fatty juicy roasts all the time and in huge amounts, but you can still have them every now and then. Portion control is soo important. My 'trick' is to have a small chocolate every day with my afternoon coffee and I savour it! I really look forward to it and i really enjoy it. Loads more than if I was to eat a whole bar of chocolate unthinkingly.
    Also, think about what unhealthy foods you really can live without and cut those out first. For me, I'm really not fussed about chips, soft drinks, or really creamy meals, so i just cut them out completely. Same with fatty meats, I don't go crazy over red meat, but I do enjoy it so now I have it a few times a week but a much smaller serving than I would have in the past.
    Chocolate- I cannot live without. Same goes for wine, but i have cut back from drinking half a bottle over 2 nights to drinking the same amount over a week.
    Every time I make a change to my diet I think 'am I willing to do this forever?' If not, I either think of something else to change, or wait until I am ready to make that change.

Sent from my HTC Sensation Z710a using BubHub

Eko is offline Acrobatic Dominatrix.
    Winner 2012 - Most Politically Correct Member
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Just a suggestion, (and I hope I don't get in trouble for putting forward another web site, but it's a free dieting site that's really helpful!) you could try sparkpeople.com.
    I've been using it for 6 years and there's a wealth of healthy food ideas, calorie counting tools, meal suggestions, exercise tips and access to professional health and fitness trainers all for free .

It can be information overload, so when I started using it I took what I needed and gradually learnt the layout and what I could use and couldn't. There's a forum section for support and chatting although I don't really use that. I mainly use it for the tools. It's a great help and has kept me on track when nothing else has.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Eko For This Useful Post:

Cleigh  (20-10-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger - Thanks100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by FearlessLeader View Post
    Every time I make a change to my diet I think 'am I willing to do this forever?' If not, I either think of something else to change, or wait until I am ready to make that change.
    This is a great point You want to maintain a healthy lifestyle so if you can't see yourself cutting out the roast spuds, don't.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 5/2/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 31/10/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 24/10/14Busiest Member of the Week

I haven't read all the replies yet.
    From my own and other i know going a no carbs at all diet leads to depression. So add back your Veg that has some carbs and you find it will help. Low carbs wraps are good too.

Cheat days are good too they really help i tend to my once a week or fortnight.

Sent from my GT-I9100T using BubHub

6. The Following User Says Thank You to LoveLivesHere For This Useful Post:

Cleigh  (20-10-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I have defenetly started the portion control. Its not as satifying but I savour it and try take my time eating. Instead of a huge dinner plate, I just use a small plate insted.
    I really dont want carbs. That been said, I love potato and pasta lol But I will try to stick to portion control and see how that goes.

As for my mum, lol.... I know my kids look forward in seeing her because she always has something for them to eat. Its a treat to them so I think I just need to control my self. I dont want them to suffer because I never learnt to control my sugar cravings.......

That is great advice fearlessleader. I will see where i can go with that. Thank you.

You guys are such great help!!!!! It really has given me motivation to keep going.

Thanks
    Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by Cleigh View Post
    I have defenetly started the portion control. Its not as satifying but I savour it and try take my time eating. Instead of a huge dinner plate, I just use a small plate insted.
    I really dont want carbs. That been said, I love potato and pasta lol But I will try to stick to portion control and see how that goes.

As for my mum, lol.... I know my kids look forward in seeing her because she always has something for them to eat. Its a treat to them so I think I just need to control my self. I dont want them to suffer because I never learnt to control my sugar cravings.......

That is great advice fearlessleader. I will see where i can go with that. Thank you.

You guys are such great help!!!!! It really has given me motivation to keep going.
    I, too, adore pasta. I actually switched to gluten free pasta for this reason. I found it a lot lighter, it didnt sit as heavilly in my stomach and it took about half the amount to make me feel ‘‘comfortably full‘‘. Im not a big potato plan so I cant suggest an alternative for that.

Sent from my HUAWEI-U8850 using BubHub

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Jennaisme For This Useful Post:

Cleigh  (20-10-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Is being skinny worth being depressed?

you dont have to give all that up to be healthy! everything in moderation and all that. oh and exercise. you are doing it wrong if you arent enjoying what you eat.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Jinxed For This Useful Post:

SoThisIsLove  (20-10-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts

You will reach the other side where you think about going to maccas and your body cries "noooooooooooo don't do it !"

I gave up Pepsi not coke and was amazed in a few days how much less bloated I was, totally worth it.

The carbs, particularly wheat, I go through "damnit! I want it because I want it and I don't have to justify it to anyone!" And within half an hour of pizza or pasta or a large amount of bread i feel like I've eaten concrete. And blow up bloated. Not cool.

I satisfy carbs with brown rice. Or I bake with gluten free flour - I make a banana and oat breafast muffin with gf flour and is satisfies wanting deserts.

I try to keep meals as colourful as possible, I try to "plate up" pretty and appealing meals, salads etc. As I realised quickly the "yummy" foods I crave are all different shades of brown, beige & cream.

Annndddddd then we go out and get a meal out, I opt for a salad if i can, or steak and salad without chips, I get whatever I want to drink. And usually no desert.

I'm breast feeding so I'm not too hard on my portion control atm and I do allow myself to slip up because I can go too far the other way and not eat because it's too hard - which starve and binge does not lead to weight loss! I'm only maintaining my weight atm whereas when jasper was katelyns age I was gaining weight. But I do feel healthier even if I'm not shedding baby weight yet! And everyone comments on my skin and I do think I look fresher and healthier even if my weight is staying the same. So it's "worth it" and I'm not even getting skinny!!!

Sent from my GT-I9300 using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews
    Your are not depressed because you can't eat high calorie foods.
    If you are getting enough calories you should not be depressed.
    More then likely you are depressed because you can't eat what you want and you have placed a huge emphasis on food. Cheese doesn't make you happy.
    Its that cake worth it? Are those 5 or 10 minutes worth the unhappiness of being over weight?
    I have lost 20 kg and yes there where times I was a little upset I couldn't eat what I wanted but believe me when I look in the mirror it was ALL worth it. Every second was worth it.
    I have never been so unhappy as I was overweight.
    No food in the world could make me go back to that feeling.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Default Is being skinny worth being depressed?

Someone once told me that nothing tastes as good as skinny feels. I thought that was great and so true and it helped me when I was losing weight a couple of years ago.

I went cold turkey on all snacks and desserts, etc and that worked for me. I am not good at having just a little of anything!

I do think its really important to exercise too if you want to lose weight though. And drink tons of water!