+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Oh forgot to add that I highly recommend cheat days!! They actually help you lose weight So you can still have your coke and fries but only sometimes....and not as much. But you can still have them!

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Deserama For This Useful Post:

LoveLivesHere  (20-10-2012),SoThisIsLove  (20-10-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Well, firstly healthy is better than skinny

I LOVE sugary treats and chocolate and I refuse to give them up completely. I do calorie counting but I have one day off when I bake a yummy cake or something! I am also happy to eat vegie soup most lunches as it means I can have a normal family meal for dinner and a treat when the kids are asleep.

I've lost nearly 14% of my body weight by calorie counting and exercising. If I want to eat more, I have to exercise more.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Thanks guys. I know its the detox that sucks lol It killed me the first 3 days, all I wanted was some maccas and I would burying my head under the covers when an add came on lol I hope by four weeks it will just feel normal and better.
    Deserama, I have had depression since I was a kid lol So yes its real. I have come off my AD about 7 or so months ago so anything that is bringing me down I can feel it kicking in again. Hence why I dont know if its really worth it because if Im going to be miserable about not being able to eat what I want I know it will bring me down if it doesnt get any better. If that makes sence lol

I have like 30kg to lose to be at a healthy weight range again but I would be happy with just 20 off. I have never lost weight before, just put it on lol So it is had for me. My mum jsut came around with a bag of lollies for the kids and I caved and ate all the strawberry and creams lol I feel a little better now.

I have changed things, I only buy skim milk if I want a coffee I use that. Im on Splenda and sugarless sugars lol So thats a start.

Im not after a diet as such. But a life style change. Its just hard to change. I had to pick DP up from work last night and was like FINE BUT YOU BUY DINNER. I ended up saying no and made a small steak an salad which was nice that I didnt give in to laziness and bad habbits.

I do have cheat days set up for one day a week. But with out exercing I dont want to go over board lol I just want to get my diet sorted out before I even think of exercise. I will cross that hurdle when I get to it.

Thanks again for the support. I REALLY need it.

Anyone know of a FB page from BH that is about weight lose support? Or do I need to create one? I cant keep up with the forum ones lol

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Default Is being skinny worth being depressed?

I don't know about support groups etc.
    but another thing that helped me was meal planning. I only bought what I needed for the week and cooked those meals etc. then I was more inclined to stick with it.
    Good on you for starting!! It took me one whole year (then I got pregnant so any diet went out the window!!)
    Slow and steady wins the race!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Yeh I got off AD's about a year ago but it's amazing I think that coming off AD's gave me more motivation to lose weight...among other things! It was an adjustment though, I had to learn who I was without the depression and the AD's...and at the same time losing weight. Look of course it would bring you down, especially when food, up tll now, have been for comfort and now you don't have the 'crutch'...it's about finding a new crutch now!!! Look at the bigger picture...imagine yourself being thinner and healthier and imagine how great you'll feel about yourself then! Trust me...it WILL be worth it, especially if you have other strategies in place to keep yourself from going down that depression path again.

You say you haven't started exercise yet....I really think you should, even if it's just small things for now. The endorphins that will be released will actually help your moods, so I highly recommend getting out and taking a walk in the fresh air or something, not just for or weighloss but also for your piece of mind

London is offline “I think we're losing our sense of humor instead of being able to relax and laugh at ourselves" - Betty White
    Winner 2012 - BubHubber you'd like to meet IRL
    Winner 2012 - Best Avatar

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    I have never dieted..whenever I wanted to lose weight I just upped (or started ) exercise. I hate exercise....HATE it...but I found that dancing for an hour or hour and a half a day did wonders.
    Also, fruit. I would eat huge portions of crap for dinner but would snack on fruit.

To answer your original question, no, being skinny isnt worth being depressed over. Hugs hun I hope you find a solution that works for you and your family.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Tamtam View Post
    I don't know about support groups etc.
    but another thing that helped me was meal planning. I only bought what I needed for the week and cooked those meals etc. then I was more inclined to stick with it.
    Good on you for starting!! It took me one whole year (then I got pregnant so any diet went out the window!!)
    Slow and steady wins the race!!
    I normally do this, meal plan each week. Its a bit hard right now because of this change and figuring out how to ge the kids into it more wth us. My 4 year old is right into healthy eating so I will get there.

Quote Originally Posted by Deserama View Post
    Yeh I got off AD's about a year ago but it's amazing I think that coming off AD's gave me more motivation to lose weight...among other things! It was an adjustment though, I had to learn who I was without the depression and the AD's...and at the same time losing weight. Look of course it would bring you down, especially when food, up tll now, have been for comfort and now you don't have the 'crutch'...it's about finding a new crutch now!!! Look at the bigger picture...imagine yourself being thinner and healthier and imagine how great you'll feel about yourself then! Trust me...it WILL be worth it, especially if you have other strategies in place to keep yourself from going down that depression path again.

You say you haven't started exercise yet....I really think you should, even if it's just small things for now. The endorphins that will be released will actually help your moods, so I highly recommend getting out and taking a walk in the fresh air or something, not just for or weighloss but also for your piece of mind
    I hate exercise so I figure I start with one hard thing at a time. Im always so tired and its hard to get out and do things lol but yes, food has always been my comfort so its hard to get a pick me up without the junk. Im trying to do it one step at a time. One of my problems though is I have to eat. I hate eating during the day so need to force myself to eat lol Stupid as it because of how big I am but I need to keep my body working lol

The most work out I get right now is lots of dancing around the house. It gets me moving and it helps get things done so it should be enough just to keep my mood leveled and not bring it down.
    With Xmas around the corner though, Im just getting drained with the thought

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Cleigh View Post
    he would come home to a gorgeous cooked roast with juicy roast vegies and cheesy cauliflour etc.
    There are other healthier meals you can still find just as "gorgeous". You just need to find ones that suit your family. I use marinades to make grilled chicken taste delicious! Potatoes with light philly cheese (rather than butter or sour cream) are beautiful too. You can still have your meat and veg but maybe cooked some other way without all the oil. Losing weight is really as simple as energy in, energy out. Eat potato and pumpkin (it is good for you!) but skip dessert and have a cup of tea instead. I remember reading that when changing your diet and trying to lose weight it takes 4 weeks for you to notice a difference, 8 weeks for your family to notice and 12 weeks for others to notice so you really have to stick at it and not lose hope in those first 4 weeks. Once YOU start noticing a difference in yourself it will keep you motivated to keep going.
    Healthier options don't have to be boring or depressing.

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to cub For This Useful Post:

Cleigh  (20-10-2012),SoThisIsLove  (20-10-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Cleigh View Post
    My mum jsut came around with a bag of lollies for the kids and I caved and ate all the strawberry and creams lol I feel a little better now.
    You need others to support you too, tell your mum to bring around a punnet of strawberries next time, not strawberry and cream lollies

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to cub For This Useful Post:

Cleigh  (20-10-2012),PR2bMum  (20-10-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger - Thanks100 Posts in a week
    I've been thru depriving myself of everything remotely bad (and delicious) and I end up falling off the wagon and feeling tired and unhappy.

I think the answer is not to be too strict and exercise lots. A snack size mars bar or a few baked potatoes aren't going to stack the weight on as long as they are a sometimes food. So have a roast one night a week, and eat more healthy the other 6. Go for drinks with your mates, just keep it to a minimum. Then just keep exercising.

Another trick I have found is substituting things for your sugar hit. I find strawberries are fantastic when I get that need for something sweet in the evenings.

To answer your question - no I wouldn't want to be skinny and depressed. Life is too short.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to delirium For This Useful Post:

Cleigh  (20-10-2012)