+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Thumbs down Is being skinny worth being depressed?

Im trying to change our diet to lose weight and be more health blah blah blah. However ever since we changed, I have been so miserable. I also noticed my DP isnt the happiest as when he would come home to a gorgeous cooked roast with juicy roast vegies and cheesy cauliflour etc. You get the point.

I dont want to be this size, but seriously!!! I want to enjoy eating and cooking yummy foods without stressing its too fattening.
    Life is WAY to short to worry about this stuff. I want to eat nice foods, drink mice booze, have fun and not worry about being fat. I want to imbrace everything and this worrying is doing me head in.

Im happy to drink water instead of coke at home, but when I go out I want a coke with my food. I want to stuff my self silly with deserts, I want my potatos and pumpkin back.

Is being skinny really worth it when Im just going to be misserable about not enjoying the things in life I love?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default Re: Is being skinny worth being depressed?

Portion control.
    Keep in mind the detox as well. Your body is getting rid of all the crap from the things you used to eat and it isn‘t used to it.

Unfortunately you cant have it both ways. You can‘t stuff yourself with dessert regularly and maintain a healthy weight.

Perhaps have a treat day. Keep in mind that you should never ‘‘diet‘‘. It needs to be a lifestyle change or when you hit your goal weight, you will go back to eating that food and have to start all over again.
    It‘s better to eat healthy most of the time, have a treat meal once a week or fortnight, etc.

Sent from my HUAWEI-U8850 using BubHub

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Jennaisme For This Useful Post:

SoThisIsLove  (20-10-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/10/14100 Posts in a week
    For me it's not about being skinny, but being healthy. I don't like soft drinks for this reason, nor cheesy foods. I find there are plenty of healthy (or healthier) options which are still yummy.

I think about it in terms of what foods make my body feel good. If it also makes me skinny, well that can be a by-product, but it's not the main game.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I don't think anything is worth feeling depressed over. You need to find a diet/healthy lifestyle that you can live and feel happy with. I hope other hubbers have some suggestions for you.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - Most posts for the week ended 19/6/2014

Default Re: Is being skinny worth being depressed?

I agree with a pp that your body is detoxing and during this time your not going to feel particuarly great.
    Once your body has adjusted to your new, healthier eating habbits you will start to reap the benefits and feel better on the outside and inside as well.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using BubHub

LifeInShadesOfGrey is offline Just a little bit silly :)
    Winner 2012 - Best Username
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Default Is being skinny worth being depressed?

I am the same and its part of the reason that I just keep falling off the wagon. If you ever want to chat, I'm always around on pm.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to LifeInShadesOfGrey For This Useful Post:

Cleigh  (20-10-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I'm right there with your thinking! I live food and I love to cook, why be miserable!? Obviously health is important but starving and eating celery everyday is not good either, I think it's all about balance. After DD was born its been an uphill battle to get in shape but at no point did I starve myself. Just swap softdrinks for water and use less butter, cut out junk food and chips and store bought sweets. Look for low fat cakes to bake, eat lots of veggies and get moving, I just started Pilates and its doing wonders for me!!

Eko is offline Acrobatic Dominatrix.
    Winner 2012 - Most Politically Correct Member
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Yep, I agree with PP. Your body will be telling you that it hates you right now and that everything you're denying yourself is the only thing that will satisfy you.
    IT'S WRONG! *chuckle*.

Before I lost weight, the only thing I could imagine making me feel good food wise was a packet of Tim Tams and a hot coffee for slammers. Now I get regular cravings for green veg with sesame seeds and sesame oil.
    I have points quite regularly where I literally salivate over the concept of a salad sandwich on wholemeal bread.
    And that's all before I was pregnant. I've spent the last year being a relatively low carb eater (avoiding rice, potato, and other starchy foods). I won't not eat them, but I also eat them in moderation.

Just remember that it takes about a month for a new behaviour to become a habit. If you're still miserable in 4 weeks from the start of your new eating plan then chances are it's not for you. But if you get to the end of the four weeks and you're feeling better and even enjoying your new diet then chances are it'll do you good

Thanks
    Reviews
    Yes it's worth it!

I love food!!!! I hated havng to think about food and how many calories in it. I hated thinking about how I can change my current recipes around to be less carby etc. I hated exercise!!! But you know what? Yes life is short, and was definetly too short for me to be fat and unhealthy (my blood pressure was rising and was getting warning from doc about diabetes) But....it's only for a short time where you have to be THAT strict!!!

Yes life is too short...yes I felt annoyed about the fact that I couldn't eat the food I wanted...but I felt a sense of accomplishment every time I saw another kilo fall off and that trumped any negative feelings I had.

Yes it was hard....but in the grand scheme of things it was only for such a short time, because now I don't have to worry as much and I get to wear clothes that fit me...I get to have more energy to play with my kids and do more things. Most of all I feel more healthier and I am more healthier!

And really are you 'depressed'? Or more annoyed that you can't eat what you want? I mean I've had depression and I'm sorry but not being able to eat fatty foods really isn't enough to make someone depressed, so maybe a bit of perspective is in order here. There are real people suffering from depression.

Yes you'd be annoyed that you can't eat what you've always eaten but you need to see it differently. Those yummy foods you used to eat? You can still have them...but just vary them a little! Or have less of it. Soon it won't be so hard and it will be a new lifestyle for you....and the results will be oh so so so so worth it!!!!

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Deserama For This Useful Post:

PR2bMum  (20-10-2012),SoThisIsLove  (20-10-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Is being skinny worth being depressed?

I lost weight by portion control. So still cooked/ate all the same foods but ate from a smaller plate. I still enjoyed some naughty food on weekends and wine (nice booze!!)
    I walked the dog 20 minutes a day. Just a little stroll nothing too taxing. It worked. Bye bye25kgs.
    Wasn't depressed etc or anything. If you feel like you are depriving yourself it won't work anyway.
    I still ate everything I liked. (Though I must admit I stopped snacking in cheese and crackers during the week before dinner and kept that treat til weekends!!).
    Once you start to lose weight your mood will lift dramatically. Seriously. I felt great when people started noticing and shopping for new clothes was awesome. Your mood will lift!!!