+ Reply to Thread
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Back to catnapping again!!!!

Hi All,

Lately, DD has gone back to catnapping at one of her two naps.

For a while there, she went down to two naps. A 1 hour 20 nap to a 2 hour nap to begin with then a 1 hour 20 nap as her second nap.

Now she has only 1 hour 20 for her first nap and her second nap is only 30 or 40 minutes!!!

She wakes up at around 6:30 or 7:00am after going to bed at 7:00pm the night before. We get up and she goes down for her first nap 2 hours after she woke up.

Then for her second nap, she also goes down for 2 hours after she woke up from her first nap.

She is nearly 8 months, so I know she can probably start going longer between naps, however she's always showing tired signs at 1 hour 45 minutes after she wakes up for the morning and her first nap, so I can't stretch her out any longer.

She self settles for naps and night times, so I'm unsure why she's now back to cat napping for her second nap? It wouldn't bother me so much as 2 hours worth of naps for her in the day isn't that bad and much more than what she'd sleep when she used to cat nap for her 3 naps, however, she now wakes up from her second nap before 1:00pm and I can never get her to have a third catnap. I used to be able to get her to sleep for that nap in the car or in her pram, but even now she just won't nap for that last one. that means that she's awake then for 6 hours between her second nap and bedtime and as such is always cranky from 5:00pm.

Oh and she's recently also become a very busy sleeper and rolls all over her cot and often bangs her head on the side of the cot which I think may contribute to her catnapping, but there's nothing I can do to keep her on her back, she's just all over the place.

Has anyone been through this? What did you do to help? Should I be ignorning her tired signs and maybe put her down after 2.5 hours after she wakes up and her first nap? That way even if she cat naps for her second nap, she should be waking up at least at 2, which might make the afternoons / evenings easier to get through? I'm at a loss!

Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

I'd be trying to stretch her out so that she wakes up a bit later if it was me

Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Let it be. It's probably just a phase. If it goes past a week or two then you might need to adjust her day.

At that age dd1 was sleeping 2 x 2-2.5 hrs a day with 9-10 hrs overnight. I think 14-15hrs is the avg daily sleep for that age.

Those sleep times sound fairly normal to me for an 8 mo. You may see a regression to 2 longer sleeps once she starts to walk before the transition to 1 sleep.

Have you tried taking her out for an activity between the morning and afternoon nap to tire her out and see if that makes a difference?

I would probably try and stretch wake times out a little too. An extra 5 mins each day until she can comfortably do 2.5 hours. At that age 2-3 hours wake time is fine.