+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Red face Possible relationship reconciliation? Financial trouble :(

Hello, I hope you can help. I have been separated from my husband for over a year now. Being a Single Parent is the hardest job in the world. We have faced many issues and have been going to counselling to try and mend our relationship and do what is best for our children. During our time apart I returned to work on a part time basis and my husband is still working full time. However, he has also incurred further debt by way of a car loan and his credit card is still not paid off.

Rather prematurely we thought we would look at how we are living and surviving with our individual financial situations. What a shock it was when it turned out that we would be scraping by each week with only a few dollars to spare?

Our children want us to be together and as we are working things out I think I want that too. How on earth do others do it? I will admit I do get a little assistance from Centerlink to help get me by. I am also going for a job interview next week and hopefully that will pay a little more. Anyone who has reconciled, husband or boyfriend has moved back how do you manage?

I cannot believe the issue with money could be what keeps us separate? We are almost there with just a few issues that need sorting out however not being able to survive at the end of the day will cause us to separate again. I think I have repeated myself, sorry . I am completely honest and have read that Centerlink would need to be told within 14 days if he does move back to our rented house at the end of the year.

Thank you for reading.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I think its wonderful that you and your husband are trying to work things out, marriage isn't easy! Finances are a huge part of life. I would say you both need to sit down with a financial planner, their services are not only for the rich n famous or for people with portfolios to manage, they can help you draw out a budget and manage your debt. It sounds like you need to make some drastic cuts and assessments. I think your marriage and parenting children together is more important than money however you do need to work out a solution so that your family lives witting means.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to ciaomamma For This Useful Post:

PeppermintPaddy  (19-10-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I absolutely agree. We worked it and would be in the negative by $10 a week? I am also trying to study and all this is becoming too much for me. He isn't doing well either and has got depression for sure. Being together is best for everyone but living within our means is going to take a miracle.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Negative $10 is not terrible but definitely not ideal, have you looked at bills and repayments? You might be able to save by switching plans on phones, foxtel, Internet all that... Also do you have any 'luxuries' that can be forfeited? Like if you have two cars can you live with one? Or things like foxtel you could cancel for a while.
    we went through a rough financial patch about 4 years ago and it took ages for us to really smarten up on this, thankfully it didn't affect out relationship but we had to make some hard choices and I'm glad we did!

Thanks
    Reviews
    yes we have looked at all that. Don't have foxtel, my mobile is pay as you go and it works out heaps cheaper. We have two cars because he works 25 minutes away and I ferry the children to school, daycare and take myself to work and back which is half an hour each way. The repayments for his car can't be changed. Internet is WIFI by Telstra pay as you go. Next year I will have two kids at school so that will reduce daycare a little. My nearly 2 year old will need to go on the days I work though and after school care for two will cost $50 a day. Although we would get childcare assistance it isn't a lot because of his salary.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Your baby is tooo cute! If you can share any tips for being cutting corners somewhere that would help. It can be anything, groceries, really anything. Thanks

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Default Possible relationship reconciliation? Financial trouble :(

Do you get the 50% child care rebate upfront or refunded each financial year end? That could make a small difference.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Atropos For This Useful Post:

PeppermintPaddy  (20-10-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts

Default Re: Possible relationship reconciliation? Financial trouble :(

Have you applied for JET as you are studying? I am not sure if partnered families can get it but its defibately worth a shot to try as it reduces daycare and before and after school care fees down to 10cents an hour. Worth a shot to try.

Good luck

Sent from my HTC One XL using BubHub

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Myztiks#1Fan For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Can I add...
    How about on the groceries .. Do u meal plan for the week before you do the shopping ?? I look at my cupboards to see what I can make with whatever I already have then meal plan from that.. I generally only end up buying a few more things ..vegs are expensive so I buy a frozen bag of each veg.. I find fruit at Aldi is cheaper to.. Also maybe try generic brands .. Some are ok. Bread milk spreads, chips etc .. Buy the extra bread/ milk when you do ur big shop to stop you from making small trips to top up on these then making impulse buys.. Or only take the exact money you need to buy bread/ milk.. You should already have the food/ ingredients you need for the week .. We also turn off the power at the walls, sounds small but we think it helps.. Oh & turns lights off when not in the room or needed !!
    That's great that you are both working at it

13. The Following User Says Thank You to 3Rreg For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - Most posts for the week ended 19/6/2014

Default Re: Possible relationship reconciliation? Financial trouble :(

Quote Originally Posted by Myztiks#1Fan View Post
    Have you applied for JET as you are studying? I am not sure if partnered families can get it but its defibately worth a shot to try as it reduces daycare and before and after school care fees down to 10cents an hour. Worth a shot to try.

Good luck

Sent from my HTC One XL using BubHub
    They have just made massive changes to JET. It will now cost $1 an hour. They will only support you if you are moving foward in study and there was something about studying in an area where there is a skill shortage. Would have to get on the comp to see the letter with actual details.

As for the op, i personally found it so much easier financially being partnered because there is always the possibility of taking up a second job at night where the other partner can look after the kids. Is it something either of you could look into? even just as a short term thing until the loan is paid off?
    Have you factored in any assistance you will get from centrelink in the way of ftb, rent assitance, ccb and rebate?

Sent from my GT-I9100 using BubHub

15. The Following User Says Thank You to HarvestMoon For This Useful Post:

PeppermintPaddy  (21-10-2012)