+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Default Lifestyle change

Dh and I have a medium size house with 2 living areas and pretty big backyard 20-30 odd k's west Melbourne. We are considering moving to a new inner city estate surrounded by parklands, Lake/board walk, bike track, low traffic, close to local shops etc. Its affordable.
    But here is the downside:
    Townhouse style living with only one kitchen/living area, very small yard space. I was thinking my two boys could share a bedroom and the 3rd room could be their toy/play room for as long as they wanted (they would be 2yr and 4.5yrs)When their teenagers, well they could always get a tv in their own room!I'm just concerned about the very small townhouse size yard for two boys.

Here is the description:

A dream home with a location to match, is a one-of-a-kind opportunity to enjoy inner city living in a tranquil lakeside setting of outstanding natural beauty. Architect-designed, beautifully appointed and six star energy efficient, each residence features a private outdoor entertaining area and dual car parking. boardwalks, bike trails, parklands and wetlands of vast open spaces offer endless possibilities for exercise and relaxation.

inner Melbourne locale that ticks every box. Offering convenient access to local shops and major shopping centres, a full range of community services and sporting facilities, fabulous parks, gardens and reserves and some of the best public and private schools in the north.The area is also well serviced by trams, buses, bike paths and major freeways. Indeed, being just 12 kilometres from the CBD, you can be in the city in as little as 15 minutes.
    Last edited by 2BlueBirds; 19-10-2012 at 22:39.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default Re: Lifestyle change

To be honest I personally wouldn't sacrifice the space. But it comes down to personal preference and what you want to do I've always been happy living outside the city (grew up in Wollongong, down the coast from Sydney and currently live 40 mins out of brissie)
    When we buy we'll be buying out here purely because houses are bigger and more affordable and most houses are on double blocks still!

Sent from my HTC One X using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/10/14100 Posts in a week
    Singa

It's almost impossible to know.

We lived in north fitzroy until about 2 years ago. We had a 3 bedroom terrace opposite Edinburgh gardens. A decent sized courtyard but no real space for playing. Having the park across the road was great, but never as easy as just playing in your own backyard. Also if the weather was cold (freezing) or wet, the kids just didn't want to go over there.

The house itself sounds fine and even now we have 4 bedrooms my girls still have to share one room so I wouldn't be overly worried about that.

As for the location, it sounds great, but I would only say as your kids get older they may become less interested in hanging out in cafes etc, and at times I felt a bit like everyone lived on top of each other, which could drive us all a bit insane.

I guess only you know what will be the best thing for your family, and how well your kids will adapt. It does souns like a wonderful location

Oh I miss Melbourne!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Thanks.
    Even before reading your replies I'm having 2nd thoughts!!

Approx 10min away/13km away from the townhouse estate we can get something for $50k less that's an actual bigger house with a normal/small backyard. Obviously 10km more from the city than the town house, but is walking distance to a nice lake/park.
    Last edited by 2BlueBirds; 19-10-2012 at 23:13.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to 2BlueBirds For This Useful Post:

MummaOJ  (20-10-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    If you are undecided (and I will think I would be) could you rent your place out for a year and then rent somewhere where you are looking to buy? It would give you a great idea if you could cope with the lack of space and been closer makes a big difference to your lifestyle. I know it is drastic but I think it would make your decision alot clearer.

Thanks
    Reviews
    We downsized and moved a bit more central, we lost a bedroom, 2 living areas, a bathroom and giant bedrooms, but we got a bigger yard, I think with 2 preschoolers we need a decent yard and ours really love our yard.

We have just one open plan living area, I have the dining table against the wall unless we're hosting people, we have a giant playpen which doubles as a huge toy box and gives the kids their 'play space', but they do 90% of their playing outside or in their rooms.

I'd try find somewhere with more outdoor living space. I don't think living areas and bedrooms are a huge consideration, but we do get 9 months of summer a year where we are.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Look East side along the Monash.

I am Dandenong North (not the greatest suburb but we like where we live) and have found the 20min drive to the city fine.

Lots of room for kids (once I pop this one!) and heaps of local conveniences.

Other really nice areas would be back towards the city, like Glen Waverly and Clayton.

Could also try Wantirna/Knox (LOVED living in Wantirna) where there are heaps of nature reserves, greenery and bike paths.

I personally would not want to be much closer to the city, as the space you sacrifice is not really worth it IMO..

FearlessLeader is offline Winner 2013 - Most Memorable Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts

Default Re: Lifestyle change

It depends on so many factors. If you/your partner works in the CBD that would be a HUGE factor for me- smaller commute times are worth loads, IMO. What is the area like you'll be moving to, what are the schools like, proximity to after school activities etc. Is it a 'good' area for teenagers, or are there lots of troubled kids who could be a bad influence? What is public transport like, what sort of indoor activities are nearby for the kids?
    We live inner north/west and there's plenty of playcentres, libraries, shopping centres (highpoint is getting one of those indoor play equipment things like Doncaster and Northland have, if you know those), indoor swimming pools, scienceworks and the museum are all close by. Because that's the hardest part of small living is finding things to do on yucky days (which Melbourne has its fair share of!)

I agree with the PP who said to rent in the area for a year- I love inner city living but it's not for everyone.

Sent from my HTC Sensation Z710a using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi all, thanks so much for your replies. This area is located in the middle of Niddrie and Keilor east. Schools will be in near by Essendon (hopefully my boys get in as my brother went there). So it's a good area.

We no longer like the town house, as after some searching I found something in the same estate for a touch more that is an actual free standing house with a decent size yard (still small, but not townhouse small) and it has a separate small lounge and study that can be used as toy/rumpus rooms (I use a laptop).
    Its also right next to the main park.
    So It falls into place.
    And hey, we arent paying much stamp duty as its not built yet so if in 1-5 yrs it wasn't working out we could always move!!
    Last edited by 2BlueBirds; 20-10-2012 at 21:55.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Sounds excellent!

We're in a freestanding home within an estate, our yard is definitely a lot bigger than most of the townhouses/villas.