+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default What affects baby's weight??

People r trying to scare me saying ill have a massive baby cos my partners really tall. Does this really affect the baby's birth weight?
    My mum had all small babies below 7 pounds.

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Re: What affects baby's weight??

I don't think you need to stress out about it, our bodies are made for carrying babies. The donor we used was 6ft+ and 80kg+ and bub came out a perfectly average 3.47kg and 52cm.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews

Why would people want to 'scare' you with things like that!! Just FYI, my family are all tall. Dad was 6ft 6 , brother is 6'8 and myself and my sisters are all around 5'7/8. Dh comes from a shorter family and none of them are more than 5'7. Dd was 9 pound when she was born but now is a very petite 2 year old and my sister (who has a taller husband than mine)has had 3 babies and none of them have been over 8pounds. So I guess what I'm saying is I had the bigger bubba even though my sisters dh is taller than mine! Sorry if this makes no sense... I'm so tired!!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    I don't know a lot about it, but I think it's a combination of things, including genetics, whether the mother is overweight, the mother's diet, when the baby is born.

I wouldn't get too worried. I recently had a 4.8kg baby (10 pounds, 9 ounces), quick labour at home, drug free, and he came out with two big pushes. I did have a second degree tear, but I might have been able to avoid that if I hadn't pushed so fast, plus I already had scar tissue from a previous cut.

Thanks
    Reviews
    It's more about historical genetics. Our DD was 2.2kg - tiny! & just 47cm.

My DP is 6"4' & 100kg & I'm average lady height but also bigger.

My tiny girlfriend had a 4.2kg baby!

Don't stress, your body will know what to do. My friend above had a much better birth than me to. No pain relief & no tearing....go figure!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Im not sure what affects it, i think its just luck!

A perfect example, Im large, and tall, My DF is average height/healthy weight....Our DS was 9lbs or 4.080kgs.

My cousin, is VERY petite, and tiny... I think she comes to my bbs?? My 7yo niece is almost a similar size... Anyway, she just had her 2nd..who was bigger than her 1st......and her 1st was 9lbs something!!

She had natural births, and i believe no pain meds... I had a horrible birth, induced, epi, emergency c-sect.

I know of a short lady, also large, who ended up with GD and her bub was a mere 6lbs something.

I have heard that smoking causes smaller babies as they are starved of important nutrients, and that GD causes bigger babies.... But i think its all luck.

Thanks
    Reviews

Oh ppl think they know everything, I think it's lots and lots of things that effect birth size, certain not just the dads genetics.

I have a very tall hubby, our first was 48cm and a tiny 2.9kgs our second 50cm and 4kgs!! (Mind you the big 4kg bub, was a breeze to birth compared to the little one)

I wouldn't take notice of those sort of comments!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts

Everyone told me I'd have big babies, I didn't doubt it, my brother and I were 9 pound babies, and my Df and his siblings were 9 pounders but I had two perfectly average sized babies. Both born after their due dates.

It would be highly unusual and poor design if we built babies we couldn't birth and an easy birth = small baby, difficult birth =big baby isn't always the "rule".

Sent from my GT-I9300 using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - Most posts for the week ended 19/6/2014

I don't think there is any real way to know what size your babies will be. My mother is tiny and had all over 9 pound babies.
    My ex is over 6ft tall and a very solid build.
    Neither were indications of the sizes of my babies.. They were 3.41 and 3.74kgs ( both 7 pound something in the old school system). So they were both very average sized.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews
    My hubby is 6'9 and well built. I'm about 5'7. People just assume we're going to have a huge baby. Nearly all the clothes we've been given are 00's lol.

My hubby was 55cms when born and his brother (who is now 6'5) was 56cms. My hubby's mum is 6ft and all her family are very tall and well built. His dad is shorter than his mum lol.

My mum had babies all under 8 pounds (I was 6.8) and she's about 5'8 tall and a tinsy tiny build. Her sister had big 10 pd+ chumba wumbas lol. My dad is only average height and build himself.

I just tell people that bubs will be what he will be. Though it's kinda amusing when people who see hubby and myself out together look at my belly then look at DH and assume I am only seven months pregnant...not 39 weeks lol. They're always shocked because I don't have a very big bump