+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Is a positive blood test for celiac/coeliacs disease enough to confirm diagnosis

I'd hold off changing diet until you have the test. I would want to know if I am coeliac, as there are other medical considerations that come along with that, as opposed to a gluten or wheat intolerance. I'm not coeliac, but have a close family member who is, and while the diet changes are actually not too hard these days as there are loads of gluten free options (eg pasta, bread), I would want to know for sure.

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Is a positive blood test for celiac/coeliacs disease enough to confirm diagnosis

Oh, and i heard the same as PPs - they can't do a valid test if you cut out gluten first.

Thanks
    Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by Rachie81 View Post
    i've started gluten free today! One dr told me to get the biopsy (via gastroscopy) and another told me not to bother as false positive is unlikely. Now i dont know what to do. Dont want an unnecessary procedure but dont want to go gluten free if I dont have to. Decreasing gluten is a much easier task than eliminating completely so I guess I would like to confirm coeliac Vs intolerance.... Oh i'm so confused. One dr says I have coeliacs the other says it needs biopsy to confirm but that i most likely have it BLAAAA
    Are these gastroenterologists? Or GPs?

Thanks
    Reviews
    one was a gp who spoke to the gastroenterologist (they wantedto do the biopsy) the other was a gp (who had spoken to the first gp)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I think probably you need to have a consult with a gastroenterologist given the mixed opinions that you are getting.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Well, I've decided to get the biopsy. I went out and got GF foods. Went GF yesterday and friday (I think i actually felt better - placebo?) had weetbix for breaky this morn and feel like crap again. Hmmm I'm sure it cant happen that quickly so time to get a definitive diagnosis. I will find the diet close to impossible to stick to, so i'm going to need lots of convincing. Will also get kids tested if i test positive (I want the gene test for me as well) could explain a lot of things

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Re: Is a positive blood test for celiac/coeliacs disease enough to confirm diagnosis

Good on you for getting the biopsy . It is a really easy test. Make sure you stop eating gluten free foods now though as you need to eat normally for about 2 months before biospy

Sent from my GT-I9100T using BubHub
    Last edited by MickeyMouse84; 21-10-2012 at 11:06.

Thanks
    Reviews
    thanks i will, only went 24 hours maybe 32/36 without so i think that should be fine

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    How did you go? I'm one of those that went gluten free before the biopsy (while I was pregnant as undiagnosed coeliac can cause m/cs) I always planned to go back on gluten and do the biopsies, but now one gluten meal has me in the emergency dept. My GI knows I am coeliac (it is all through my family) but I will never get an official diagnosis. That annoys me, because sometimes I second guess myself. "what if I've been eating GF all this time and I don't have to be", "what if I'm not coeliac and it is something else". So I deffo think people should get all the tests needed before going GF.