+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Spin off. How do you vote in elections?

The thread about not voting in elections and getting fined reminded me of my 'system' of voting.

I mostly have never heard of the nominees so I vote for women (there's never that many!) independents, people I ha e heard of (voted for dawn Fraser one year) or strange parties such as shooters party (wasn't Gand enough to vote for the sex party last time!!!)

So do many people research the candidates and make a conscious decision or do you just go einy miny mo?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I always ask dad who to vote for quickly before i go in and vote for that person. Haha i have no idea about any of it and I'm not sure what i will do once dad isn't around anymore might just have to eeiny meeiny mineey moh then lol

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

I don't. I get my name signed off and put a blank piece of paper in the required place

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts

Default Re: Spin off. How do you vote in elections?

I vote for whoever, generally the best party name I like at the time like the fishing party one year or if I know they have been in the position for quite a long time. I don't know what they do half the time.

Sent from my HTC One XL using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews
    The big ones I'm fine with, I usually know who I will vote for and follow their how to vote card. I'm not so great with local stuff though, I usually vote more to avoid a certain candidate than to actually elect one if that makes sense.
    I much prefer to put a 1 in the top box, rather than numbering all the bottom ones too.

Thanks
    Reviews
    State/Federal I look at what each party plans to do with to with Health Services (am a midwife and that's the only thing that interests me in politics).

Of course that backfired when Can-Do Campbell decided to crush the dreams of all new nursing and midwifery grads and slash what seemed to be every single grad spot in the state.

Local.....usually go for the person that's been in the longest (on the assumption that we like what they're doing hehe). Never ever vote for the 19 year old though.

Only knew who the nominees were for the state/federal elections because I live in what used to be Anna Bligh and Kevin Rudd's electorates. Never saw them at the local Woolies though.....

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts

We have a small business and employ about 9 people so I vote for who will hopefully help small businesses the best

it's hard with local council elections as I know or know about a lot of the candidates and even though some have good policies if I don't like the person it's hard!

SpecialPatrolGroup is offline T-rex is cranky until she gets her coffee.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I am an election nerd. I watch the debates, keep an eye on the campaign, read news websites, see what Get Up has to say, decide which party most stands for my interests and which candidate for my electorate is doing the right thing by our local area (but generally revert back to voting to the candidate who represents my needs on the wider scale).

I fill in all of the boxes on the big senate form at the federal election too.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to SpecialPatrolGroup For This Useful Post:

Atropos  (19-10-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    This thread depresses me, except the few who make a considered decision or blank vote.

I don't have the privilege of voting in Australia, but I make sure my opinions and arguments for the 'ideal' government set up are heard and taken into account by friends and family who can.

I do have the privilege of voting in New Zealand and it's a very well considered decision each time. It has been the same vote all 3 times that I've voted, but it wasn't a case of me doing what I've always done at all.

I watch every session of NZ parliament (often in the background ********* over the net to my TV while I do stuff with the kids)... and I tend to chase the highlights of Australian parliament. I also know most parties policies well come election time. So I know exactly what I'm voting for.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts

I'm a school teacher, so this will influence my vote in state and federal elections. I'm terrified of Christopher Pyne becoming the next minister for education!

We just had local council elections and I voted for the people who are already in, because we have excellent facilities in our local area. Lots of fantastic parks, excellent local libraries, bin collection is perfect and local council rubbish collections every 3 months. Roads are pretty good as well.