+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Intense teething pain - is it a myth?

DS, who's nearly 6mo, is obviously teething right now. But honestly, for the amount of distress he's in, you'd swear he's going to sprout a molar first, or even a canine, as there are huge white bulges in those spots. He's chewing furiously on EVERYTHING and he's just in so much pain - I just don't recall his sister suffering that much when she started teething. I've given him panadol but the only thing that seems to alleviate the discomfort is to chew on something hard. So I put him to bed with a teething ring...

Just wondering if anyone else's LO experienced really bad teething pain or if they popped out teeth in an unconventional order - or even sprouted more than one at the same time. TIA!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

DD got her two bottom teeth at 10mo and then nothing. She's 14mo now and has just cut two top teeth - but not the front ones! They're on the side, note sure of the name of them. She's going to look like a vampire lol!

It doesn't seem to bother her too much, she's had a cold so hard to know whether its the cold or the teeth when she's unhappy. But now that she's not so stuffy she's sleeping fine so I don't think she's in much pain.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Cue For This Useful Post:

SeaShanty  (18-10-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts

Default Re: Intense teething pain - is it a myth?

I think that it's a myth is a myth. Katelyns top two teeth just came through and she was miserable. same as with her bottom two. Jasper was a mess when he was 14 months he got 8 teeth in a fortnight.

I suspect the same "professionals" or what not who claim teething don't have babies/had babies who teethed easily.

By the sheer volume of amber teething necklaces you see around, teething rings, teething gels, homeopathic teething remedies etc etc etc I'd say parents moat definitely observe their babies in pain when teething.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using BubHub

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Boobycino For This Useful Post:

SeaShanty  (18-10-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Boobycino View Post
    Jasper was a mess when he was 14 months he got 8 teeth in a fortnight.
    Jasus! Bet that was a happy time in everyone's lives where you live!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    DD hasn't got hers yet but I had a conversation with my mum who mentioned when I was little and having a miserable time w my teeth the doctor nearly cut my gums... mum said she told him she would wait another week then do it if they'd still hadn't come through.
    Anyone else had that done or suggested to them?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts

Default Re: Intense teething pain - is it a myth?

Quote Originally Posted by SeaShanty View Post
    Jasus! Bet that was a happy time in everyone's lives where you live!
    Yup.

Funny people said "that's great getting them all over with at once" those people have NO IDEA how LONG a fortnight is. Lol.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Quote Originally Posted by ciaomamma View Post
    DD hasn't got hers yet but I had a conversation with my mum who mentioned when I was little and having a miserable time w my teeth the doctor nearly cut my gums... mum said she told him she would wait another week then do it if they'd still hadn't come through.
    Anyone else had that done or suggested to them?
    I've heard if it fro Maori friends, apparently it was traditionally done using a fingernail

Thanks
    Reviews

Ouchie!!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    I don't think it is a myth. My two suffered terribly with teething and both got multiple teeth at the same time.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to MothersMilk For This Useful Post:

SeaShanty  (19-10-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Funny you say that, MothersMilk, because I swear DS is going to do the same - there are just so many bulges in his gums ATM that weren't there before. I think I can even see tiny white specks of tooth that might be breaking through on his canines. It's all so confounding! I don't remember teething being such a drama with his older sister.

I took DS back to the GP this morning because he's broken out in a rash all over his back and chest (another story - he's recovering from a nonspecific viral infection, poor mite) and got her to check for teething. She ran her finger along his gums and said, "Haven't you done this yourself? Can't you feel these lumps? There are teeth starting to come through everywhere!" Was a relief to hear, to be honest - I could feel them but they seem to be taking forever to come through!