Closed Thread
Page 22 of 154 FirstFirst ... 1220212223243272122 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Graduates of TTC and not wanting to move!!!!

Hi Shelby! It is a good idea but I find I get lost in those posts, so many ppl come and go and it isn't very personal, just my opinion

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Graduates of TTC and not wanting to move!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by J37 View Post
    Yes, that's fine. And constipation is very common in pregnancy.
    Thanks J! I will start using them so I don't feel like I'm giving birth lol lol

Thanks
    Reviews
    Please ask Button too, but I like epidurals because:
    1. In most cases, they provide very effective pain relief.
    2. Most women can still push (I certainly could).
    3. You can increase or decrease the rate of infusion according to your pain requirements, or ramp it right up if you need an episiotomy or instrument delivery at the end, which is often unforseeable.
    4. It does not affect the baby, whereas drugs like pethidine can cause the baby's respiratory rate to fall quite low at birth, requiring intervention.
    5. There have been studies which show epidurals do not prolong labour, which was a common previous misconception.
    6. Maternal satisfaction is very high.

Of course, Button may disagree, and we need a counter point of view. One of the main complications of epidurals is not nerve damage (which people worry about), it is failure of the epidural to work, or a one-sided block (only half your tummy, not nice). The Anaesthetist can usually fix it by either pulling back the catheter, or repeating at a different spinal level (one level up usually). They don't hurt, other than the sting of the local anaesthetic injected into the skin before the epidural needle is inserted. Most patients tolerate them well. If you are having close contractions, you just need to warn the Anaesthetist each time so he/she can stop until the contraction is over. Takes about 15 minutes to reach peak effect, but after 8 hours of labour with my son, I wanted to hug the Anaesthetist!!

But, given my extensive experience in Anaesthesia, I am biased! So please ask Button too.

J xx.
    Hi swizzly,
    I agree with J's answer above, but there are a few things I would add:

While having an epidural does not prolong the 1st stage of labour, it has been shown to prolong the second stage of labour (the pushing stage). Epidurals can cause the woman to not be able to push as effectively. and coupled with the fact that you are usually confined to bed due to having to have an IV drip and a CTG monitor and some hospitals a urinary catheter you are confined to pushing in a lying on back position - which we know is the worse position for pushing because your pelvis has the smallest diameter when lying semi recumbant. its like you are pushing uphill! Therefore epidurals increase the risk of having an assisted birth which means having a vacuum or forceps delivery. It does not increase the rate of ceasarean section though.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Absolutely agree. As you would well know, things can deteriorate very quickly!
    I would like an NVD for this bub, but definitely with the aid of an epidural again. But, at the end of the day, my "birth plan" is a live infant and a live me, however that is achieved!
    J x.
    Ps. How'd the exam go?
    totally agree!
    exam went well thanks - i could answer all the questions there were no surprises which was good!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Lili81 View Post
    Are you able to get walking epi? I know my hospital don't do then (yet) which is why I am leaving them out of my "birth plan".
    I want to be able to get out of bed and walk or jump in the shower etc.
    Such a pity they don't do it where I will give birth
    lilli it totally depends on the hospital you are going to. the hospital i work at does do walking epidurals but they are a lighter type of epidural and woman often want a top up so it works better but then this causes it to not be safe anymore. it is also hard to walk around with a CTG monitor on and an IV drip stand and catheter. good in theory, not so much in practise!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by swizzly555 View Post
    ToniS - Did what the pharmacist give you relieve the symptoms? I know I had to keep having the cream last time but I want to be prepared incase it happens again, so would love to hear any suggestions to help it - it really makes pregnancy all the more glamorous

Lil Petal - Thanks! I had my first 2 Blackmores this morning - you're right they are pretty big but there is no chance of them disolving on your tongue so I think I should be ok with them. Will see what happens once MS hits, lol.

Thanks Button and J, it is really interesting to read about this stuff. Personally I loved my first epi, I was induced due to high BP and low fluid and the gel meant I was contracting every 3 mins for the first 4 hours... not fun! I gave in and asked for the epi and then I propsed to my anethetist

Can I ask you both about what your opinion is on VBA2C? My OB isn't for the idea considering the beating my uterus has taken over the years and I trust her completely, just curious how it is generally viewed.

I took another test this morning, heh, I can't help myself. I have one more to do tomorrow and then I will stop. So below is my 12dpo, happy to see it getting darker.
    what were your reasons for your ceasarean sections? and did you have a classical scar - running down ways or a lower scar running sideways along undie line?
    classical scar is a big no no. vba2c with lower uterine scars is still a bit on the risky side - i think odds of uterine rupture are 3.8%. i advise woman to try for vbacs after one c/section because the risk is now only 0.5% but after 2 sections i would be weary.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Great looking test! I did a FRER every morning until about 16DPO, when my husband complained!
    VBAC is definitely gaining popularity, and seemingly with good results. But...VBA2C, I would be personally nervous about. There is a greater risk of uterine rupture during labour after 2 Caesars, so it's generally avoided. If you trust and like your OBGYN, then I would ask lots of questions, but be inclined to agree with her. Button, thoughts?
    Funny you proposed to Anaesthetist!!...He/she would have loved that feedback!

Just saw my OBGYN for first visit. So much better than my last 2 post-miscarriage visits! She did another scan, and embryo has doubled in length since last week! 8w3d...head and heartbeat. She put me on Vit D supplements as my levels were quite low (not surprising...I live in Melbourne!). Also vomited blood last night and have had terrific upper abdo pain, so have started regular Zantac for likely gastritis secondary to vomiting. Not complaining as at least pregnancy intact...that's all I care about!

J x.
    thats great news about your OB appointment!

i also went for my repeat dating scan yesterday and bub was great - was measuring 8w2d yesterday so very happy. now just to get to the 12 week scan which i booked for the 30th i think. haha J, we are so similar i was also put on vit D supplements! i have to continue on the proesterone pessaries until 11 weeks and then start to wean.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Eko View Post
    Wow, I can't keep up with you ladies! *chuckle*.

I went and had my appointment with my Ob. He's a very nice man and very avuncular.
    Anyway, the not so fun part. He did a pap smear as I haven't had one in a long time. Came back with an abnormal result. So today I had a colposcopy and a biopsy (he had a close squiz at my cervix and took a chunk to be examined for those that aren't medically minded heh). Apparently you can get weird results from being pregnant but from what I've researched it's unusual to get a CIN3 result based on that.
    I had a quick look at the papers he sent with the sample and it had CIN3 written on it.
    I won't know for a while what the results of the test are, hopefully they'll call me as soon as they come in. They're aware that I'm going to be away for work for 5 weeks. But the thing that has me exceptionally stressed is that the Ob said that if the results come back as having cancerous cells that once bub is born they'll treat it and I may have to make some very difficult decisions. Ie. Hysterectomy.

He strikes me as someone who wouldn't say that sort of thing unless he was very VERY certain of a bad result based on what he saw. So essentially I'm spending all of my time trying not to panic and reminding myself that pre-cancerous and cancerous are not the same thing. But if I'm completely honest, I'm terrified of ALL of the treatments involved in CIN3 and the very idea of being conscious for any of it sends me into sweats.
    Pretty funny for a girl who's having an elective caesarean! Heh.
    sorry to hear eko - thinking of you x x

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Re: Graduates of TTC and not wanting to move!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by button2012 View Post
    totally agree!
    exam went well thanks - i could answer all the questions there were no surprises which was good!
    Glad your exam went well.

Quote Originally Posted by Eko View Post
    Wow, I can't keep up with you ladies! *chuckle*.

I went and had my appointment with my Ob. He's a very nice man and very avuncular.
    Anyway, the not so fun part. He did a pap smear as I haven't had one in a long time. Came back with an abnormal result. So today I had a colposcopy and a biopsy (he had a close squiz at my cervix and took a chunk to be examined for those that aren't medically minded heh). Apparently you can get weird results from being pregnant but from what I've researched it's unusual to get a CIN3 result based on that.
    I had a quick look at the papers he sent with the sample and it had CIN3 written on it.
    I won't know for a while what the results of the test are, hopefully they'll call me as soon as they come in. They're aware that I'm going to be away for work for 5 weeks. But the thing that has me exceptionally stressed is that the Ob said that if the results come back as having cancerous cells that once bub is born they'll treat it and I may have to make some very difficult decisions. Ie. Hysterectomy.

He strikes me as someone who wouldn't say that sort of thing unless he was very VERY certain of a bad result based on what he saw. So essentially I'm spending all of my time trying not to panic and reminding myself that pre-cancerous and cancerous are not the same thing. But if I'm completely honest, I'm terrified of ALL of the treatments involved in CIN3 and the very idea of being conscious for any of it sends me into sweats.
    Pretty funny for a girl who's having an elective caesarean! Heh.
    Sorry to hear that eko. Hope you get your results soon.

Quote Originally Posted by shelby27 View Post
    Morning ladies, I can't wait to join you guys one day hopefully soon, I think this is a great idea, I hope your all going well. Although I did have a suggestion, and it's just a suggestion of course. But I was thinking you ladies should be in the pregnancy and birth section maybe in the due date thread so you can have areas like getting to know you, when your due what your having etc. that way when we graduate we are all up to date with what happening. But if you decide to move make sure you let us know and post a link, I'm sure there will be more coming over to the graduates this month

Just my 2 cents
    I would think moving it would not necessarily work, which section would you put it in? The due date section is broken into months and we aren't all due in the same month. Look forward to you joining us though

Sent from my HTC One S using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Re: Graduates of TTC and not wanting to move!!!!

Hi all. Well the closer and closer it gets to scan day on Tuesday the more anxious, nervous and pessimistic feeling I get. I know percentages are small blah blah but unfortunately someone has to be that 1-2% etc.

Doing my head in lol.

Ah well. Off to the park to celebrate a friends birthday. That will be fun

Sent from my GT-I9100T using BubHub