Closed Thread
Page 20 of 154 FirstFirst ... 1018192021223070120 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by LilPetal View Post
    Swizzly - It was great telling someone and will make it easier keeping it from everyone else for the time being. blackmores are quite large and it's two a day but they have a vanilla flavour and are very smooth capsules so I find they are quite easy to swallow. I am someone wh is bad with a lot of tablets that are powdered. If there is any chance of them starting to dissolve in my mouth I can't get them down but these are fine.

J - I would love to know more about why you love epidurals. I like a clinical approach to labour too that's why I enjoyed going private for DD with an ob and will use the same one this time. I had an epidural half way through my labour last time and then ended up with a forceps delivery. I didn't really need it for pain but the midwife kept nagging me to have it because of my blood pressure so I caved. This time thinking I wint have one but would love to hear yours and Buttons thoughts.

As for the hospital I was reminded to pre book online by my ob's office then will get the paperwork to finish booking at first ob appointment. My ob books out quickly though so lucky I got in.

Toni so sorry you have thrush, so unlucky after you have been so sick. I hope you start to feel better soon.
    Please ask Button too, but I like epidurals because:
    1. In most cases, they provide very effective pain relief.
    2. Most women can still push (I certainly could).
    3. You can increase or decrease the rate of infusion according to your pain requirements, or ramp it right up if you need an episiotomy or instrument delivery at the end, which is often unforseeable.
    4. It does not affect the baby, whereas drugs like pethidine can cause the baby's respiratory rate to fall quite low at birth, requiring intervention.
    5. There have been studies which show epidurals do not prolong labour, which was a common previous misconception.
    6. Maternal satisfaction is very high.

Of course, Button may disagree, and we need a counter point of view. One of the main complications of epidurals is not nerve damage (which people worry about), it is failure of the epidural to work, or a one-sided block (only half your tummy, not nice). The Anaesthetist can usually fix it by either pulling back the catheter, or repeating at a different spinal level (one level up usually). They don't hurt, other than the sting of the local anaesthetic injected into the skin before the epidural needle is inserted. Most patients tolerate them well. If you are having close contractions, you just need to warn the Anaesthetist each time so he/she can stop until the contraction is over. Takes about 15 minutes to reach peak effect, but after 8 hours of labour with my son, I wanted to hug the Anaesthetist!!

But, given my extensive experience in Anaesthesia, I am biased! So please ask Button too.

J xx.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by button2012 View Post
    J - the epinoh or any similar devices still dont have enough data to state whether they are effective. The Obstetricians that I work with dont believe in them though! My thoughts are they dont hurt so why not! unfortunately after a previous episiotomy you wont have as much stretch in that spot of your perineum anymore so may need another epis. But good on you for vaginally birthing a 4.6 bubba! that is one mean feat - no wonder you needed some help!!!
    and yes I totally agree that birthing at a hospital that has a theatre that can turn around an emergency caesarean section very quickly is utmost importance. I am all for woman being able to choose however they want to birth as long as they are making an informed decision and know the pros and cons for them and their babies - HOWEVER being at a facility that can quickly act upon an obstetric emergency is a necessity in my eyes!
    Absolutely agree. As you would well know, things can deteriorate very quickly!
    I would like an NVD for this bub, but definitely with the aid of an epidural again. But, at the end of the day, my "birth plan" is a live infant and a live me, however that is achieved!
    J x.
    Ps. How'd the exam go?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week

Default Graduates of TTC and not wanting to move!!!!

Are you able to get walking epi? I know my hospital don't do then (yet) which is why I am leaving them out of my "birth plan".
    I want to be able to get out of bed and walk or jump in the shower etc.
    Such a pity they don't do it where I will give birth

Thanks
    Reviews
    ToniS - Did what the pharmacist give you relieve the symptoms? I know I had to keep having the cream last time but I want to be prepared incase it happens again, so would love to hear any suggestions to help it - it really makes pregnancy all the more glamorous

Lil Petal - Thanks! I had my first 2 Blackmores this morning - you're right they are pretty big but there is no chance of them disolving on your tongue so I think I should be ok with them. Will see what happens once MS hits, lol.

Thanks Button and J, it is really interesting to read about this stuff. Personally I loved my first epi, I was induced due to high BP and low fluid and the gel meant I was contracting every 3 mins for the first 4 hours... not fun! I gave in and asked for the epi and then I propsed to my anethetist

Can I ask you both about what your opinion is on VBA2C? My OB isn't for the idea considering the beating my uterus has taken over the years and I trust her completely, just curious how it is generally viewed.

I took another test this morning, heh, I can't help myself. I have one more to do tomorrow and then I will stop. So below is my 12dpo, happy to see it getting darker.
    Attached Images

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Test is looking good swizzly

As for the cream I was just using canesten which seems to have relieved the symptoms (the itch, redness and cheesey substance sorry TMI) but then I have had thrush before and caught it early. I think if it gets to the stage where urination burns then cream alone is not enough. Apparently it is common in pregnancy regardless of antibiotics so if you have a good pharmacist they should be able to guide you a bit if you are unfortunate enough to cop it. My pharmacy is a small one even though I live in Townsville which is huge, they are really friendly and personalised so I find that really helps especially as a first timer when I have questions. Plus one of the girls there has gone through all the same treatment as me so she has been great

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by swizzly555 View Post
    ToniS - Did what the pharmacist give you relieve the symptoms? I know I had to keep having the cream last time but I want to be prepared incase it happens again, so would love to hear any suggestions to help it - it really makes pregnancy all the more glamorous

Lil Petal - Thanks! I had my first 2 Blackmores this morning - you're right they are pretty big but there is no chance of them disolving on your tongue so I think I should be ok with them. Will see what happens once MS hits, lol.

Thanks Button and J, it is really interesting to read about this stuff. Personally I loved my first epi, I was induced due to high BP and low fluid and the gel meant I was contracting every 3 mins for the first 4 hours... not fun! I gave in and asked for the epi and then I propsed to my anethetist

Can I ask you both about what your opinion is on VBA2C? My OB isn't for the idea considering the beating my uterus has taken over the years and I trust her completely, just curious how it is generally viewed.

I took another test this morning, heh, I can't help myself. I have one more to do tomorrow and then I will stop. So below is my 12dpo, happy to see it getting darker.
    Great looking test! I did a FRER every morning until about 16DPO, when my husband complained!
    VBAC is definitely gaining popularity, and seemingly with good results. But...VBA2C, I would be personally nervous about. There is a greater risk of uterine rupture during labour after 2 Caesars, so it's generally avoided. If you trust and like your OBGYN, then I would ask lots of questions, but be inclined to agree with her. Button, thoughts?
    Funny you proposed to Anaesthetist!!...He/she would have loved that feedback!

Just saw my OBGYN for first visit. So much better than my last 2 post-miscarriage visits! She did another scan, and embryo has doubled in length since last week! 8w3d...head and heartbeat. She put me on Vit D supplements as my levels were quite low (not surprising...I live in Melbourne!). Also vomited blood last night and have had terrific upper abdo pain, so have started regular Zantac for likely gastritis secondary to vomiting. Not complaining as at least pregnancy intact...that's all I care about!

J x.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks Toni, I think you are right, it is important to have a pharmacist you can trust and go to for advice. I think I will need to find a good one!

Thanks J - From what I have see VBA2C isn't very common and OB's are hesitant about them. I really don't mind having a CS, I have a lot of faith in the medical profession and I have had great support through my other pregnancies so I am happy to listen to me OB.
    The anethatist laughed when I proposed, I think since my DF was standing right there they all found it a little funny. He was there before they even got my drip in and was so quick and painless, I had no problems. My second was a little different. Firstly they bent the needle in my back (apparently I have great tendons back there, lol) and then it went a little to high so I felt like I couldn't breathe and my BP took a huge dive. All was good though and I was back to normal before bubs came out.
    Vomiting blood huh? Yikes! Sounds like you really are being hammered. I am glad you got to see bubs again though, that reassurance is good
    I had really low Vit D levels when living in Melb too but mine was after bubs came... I think that was because I just never got out of the house, lol.

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Re: Graduates of TTC and not wanting to move!!!!

No worries swizzly.

Can anyone tell me roughly how many weeks you need to be before they suggest you don't fly? I am trying to decide if I continue my studies next year or defer for a year.

Sent from my HTC One S using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by ToniS View Post
    No worries swizzly.

Can anyone tell me roughly how many weeks you need to be before they suggest you don't fly? I am trying to decide if I continue my studies next year or defer for a year.

Sent from my HTC One S using BubHub
    I was told not to fly domestically after 36 weeks and most airlines won't carry you after that, also if you do fly it is good to carry a letter from your doctor from about 28 weeks as the airline might ask you to show you are fit to fly and are under 36 weeks.

For international I think it is similar but some airlines don't want to take you over 32 weeks? This could be wrong. I flew a lot between Newcastle and Melbourne, the last one being just before 36 weeks and it wasn't that uncomfortable. I had my letter and there was no issue. If you need to fly longer distances though it would be best to talk to you doctor/OB/midwife about how to do so safely.

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Graduates of TTC and not wanting to move!!!!

Thanks swizzy!! I was just thinking about this myself today! We are flying to Nz at Christmas, two 5 hour flights to get there! I will be 18 weeks when leaving and 24 when returning so was hoping this wouldn't be a problem!!

Scan on Monday and a day off yay!! Will be 12w 4d by then, the last time I had bloods they said 13w was ideal for this screening but I'm going in today at 12w1d, it won't matter that much will it?