+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Restless sleeping

Hi all

I'm really hoping someone can help me find out why my son sleeps so restlessly of a night time. He turns 2 next month. He goes to bed at 7 every night and has recently (the last 2 weeks or so) been waking frequently calling out to us, but when we go in, he's asleep. I can hear him tossing and turning and calling out "no no no" in his sleep. Along with this he has started waking at 5am and he is SO cranky as a result of restless sleeping and early waking. He used to sleep very soundly and wake at the earliest 5.30 but generally 6 or 6.30. This morning he was so angry from tiredness, he had a massive melt down at 9am in woolies, people were staring and muttering. He fell asleep on the way to swimming at 10am and he is still asleep now 2 hours later so he was desperate for sleep. I skipped swimming as I thought he must be exhausted to fall asleep so early. Please help, I'm at a loss as to how to help my little man get some decent rest and not wake up and behave like a possessed person. Just to let you know too he sleeps on average 2 hours through the day and sleeps very soundly not restless at all.

Thanks in advance

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi FlipFlop

Not sure about the cause of your son's night waking other than to say I read somewhere once that around that age toddlers start having nightmares or night terrors or something frightens them like that - my DD did, too.

As for the early rising, is it possible there's too much morning sun coming through? We had to buy black-out curtains for our DD because she was waking with the morning sun and it was soooo early...! Thick curtains made a huge difference. She was so tired by mid-morning from waking so early, she'd also have big meltdowns - all sounds pretty familiar to me! Go to the BOM.gov.au website and check what time the sun rises in your area and see if that syncs with your son's waking time.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 14/11/14100 Posts in a week

Default Re: Restless sleeping

Quote Originally Posted by FlipFlop View Post
    Hi all

I'm really hoping someone can help me find out why my son sleeps so restlessly of a night time. He turns 2 next month. He goes to bed at 7 every night and has recently (the last 2 weeks or so) been waking frequently calling out to us, but when we go in, he's asleep. I can hear him tossing and turning and calling out "no no no" in his sleep. Along with this he has started waking at 5am and he is SO cranky as a result of restless sleeping and early waking. He used to sleep very soundly and wake at the earliest 5.30 but generally 6 or 6.30. This morning he was so angry from tiredness, he had a massive melt down at 9am in woolies, people were staring and muttering. He fell asleep on the way to swimming at 10am and he is still asleep now 2 hours later so he was desperate for sleep. I skipped swimming as I thought he must be exhausted to fall asleep so early. Please help, I'm at a loss as to how to help my little man get some decent rest and not wake up and behave like a possessed person. Just to let you know too he sleeps on average 2 hours through the day and sleeps very soundly not restless at all.

Thanks in advance
    Night terrors maybe? My dd1 had these. She would often appear to be awake and would cry and kick and scream and hallucinate. Yetnothing could snap her out of it. we just had to calm her and keep her safe and wait it out. It was like she was acting out a nightmare with her eyes open. The blood curdling screams that came from her were horrible. The next day she would have no recollection of the events from the night before.

She did eventually grow out of it around 3 or 4.

Sent from my magical black talky thingy using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews

My DD had night terrors at around 3, I remember them well! This seems different though, more like intense dreaming or sleep talking. I just feel for him being so tired (and feel for me dealing with the melt downs!). Not sure about the light, it hasn't seemed to make a difference before now but I will definitely look into it. Thanks for the replies

Anyone else?

Thanks
    Reviews

Bumping please

Thanks
    Reviews

Worms can cause restless nights, you can check his bottom with a torch during the night. Sounds gross I know but that's when they are active and you can see them !

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 14/11/14100 Posts in a week

Default Re: Restless sleeping

Yes, that is another logical explanation. You could also ask him if his bottom has been itchy as well.

Sent from my magical black talky thingy using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews

Wow! That's interesting and slightly gross lol. Do you think he could have worms if he doesn't really eat meat? I don't ever see him scratching that area.

Thanks
    Reviews

They can be transferred from other kids quite easily, little ones scratch their bots and don't always wash hands properly. Ah the fun gross times of being a parent! Lol

Thanks
    Reviews
    Just a side point on the nightmares thing, my dd had them a couple times at that age, but I figured that they came when she was too hot (as I also get nightmares if I'm too hot while sleeping). And being too hot too made her squirmy because sweating makes her itchy and her eczma would flare up. She will also get really thirsty too so I leave a spill proof sippy cup with water in the top corner of the bed so she can have sips when she needs. Hope that helps