+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Night waking due to habit

Hi there,
    I have a 5 month old son who sleeps really welll during the day. We put him to bed at 7.30 and he goes down without a peep BUT he keeps waking at the same time everynight 1.40am then 3am just to be resettled.I then feed him at about 4am. He has slept through till 5am with 1 wakeup once but not again soi know he can do it.
    I am breast feeding and he does have a dummy. So at those times i go in put the dummy in reswaddle him and he falls asleep again instantly. I have tried letting him sleep with his arms out but he wakes himself up and not worth it. I tried dream feeds but he never settled after them and i wake up to 7 times just settling him. I have tried putting him to bed with no dummy but he still wakes up. I think the only option is to take the dummy away? Also how many nights do i try it for to see if it works?
    Thanks for any advice.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Have you tried feeding him at the first wake up? I wonder if you did this he may not wake again?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks MinnieMouse81,
    I tried this but he would still wake a few hours later and feed again. Its weird the last 2 nights he has slept through till 4am. No idea if the dummy was in or out at the 1.40am wake up and that is why he didn't wake then or at 3am but im not complaining!! Fingers crossed it continues.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Hmm... Good luck tonight! My 5 month old has regressed in her sleep the last couple of weeks to a similar pattern to yours (but with feeds).

Thanks
    Reviews
    Ok it seems to be the dummy that was keeping him asleep. the last few nights he has waking at that 1.40am spot. Yesterday he had a 2 hour nap without the dummy and last night i put him to bed without the dummy. Then heard him at 2:05am and when i went in to try and resettle him but he had unwrapped himself and was wide awake. i picked him up and tried to rock and calm him but that made it worse so i ended up having to feed him and he was awake again at 6am. Just dont know how to break this habit. Do i just leave him at 2am and see if he goes back to sleep? but is that really breaking the habit?
    Ahhh at least with the dummy i push his feed till 4ish and then he sleeps till 7-7.30am. Maybe i continue getting him to sleep without the dummy and then go from there? HELP totally confused..

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I learnt around this time to try not to over think it. It does your head in more than the waking sometimes. Their sleeping changes all the time and often these things are phases. TBH it all sounds very similar and normal to me. I would keep doing what youre doing, resettle and if required feed. Personally we kept the dummy too, I dont feel with us this is a problem. Good luck and remember that it does pass... Until you get to 9 months which is where we are at, waking to crawl!

Thanks
    Reviews
    thanks babyla. i think i was over thinking it as he isnt waking any more at 1.40am. he seems to feed at around 5am with 1 reswaddle and resettle so that is great. i look forward to him sleeping through completely but i need to remember he is only 5.5 months. waking to crawl doesnt sound like fun, i dont look forward to that. good luck and thanks