+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Unhappy Reassurance, pls! 6mo with mystery illness

My poor little boy... He's nearly 6mo and has been running a low-grade fever on-and-off since Monday (making it three days now). His BMs have changed since then, too - no more formed, turds (he's on solids) - we're instead having foul, stinky, mucousy, runny messes (but it's not pouring out of him - but definitely more frequent than he usually poos). He did an enormous power chuck all over me last night, and vomitted once two days before that, but I'm not sure if those symptoms mean a gastric infection (DH, in all his wisdom, seems to think so).

He's not sleeping on his back anymore, or turning his head to the right like he usually does - he's twisting his body to sleep on his left side - and cries whenever I lay him down, suggesting he's in pain somewhere. He's irritable, cries a lot and just not himself and it's so, so hard to watch.

I took him to the GP yesterday and he said his glands are up, so he's obviously fighting an infection somewhere, but he couldn't tell where. He did see a big white spot on the back of DS's throat, which would suggest an infection, but he said his tonsils weren't inflamed. Also, no ear infection. The GP made me provide a sample of DS's urine to test for a UTI, but the results aren't back yet. (No rashes or photo-sensitivity, thank goodness, but I'm always vigilant for changes.)

I think DS is also teething, as he's ALWAYS got his hands in his mouth (more so than normal ATM) and he's off his food/breast milk a bit. He's waking up every hour at night upset, but sleeps for nearly 4hrs during the day in one big stretch. There are also big white lumps along his bottom gums (teeth that haven't broken through yet?).

I'm just so stressed about it! I'm hoping it's just a harmless bug he's picked up from his big sister or cousin (toddlers who've always got their dirty fingers in his little mouth) and it'll pass soon. I know that at this age babies' immune systems start to kick in (and they become less dependent on breast milk for immunity) so theoretically this is within the realms of 'normal', but I thought he'd be better by now. Well, he's not as bad as he was on Tuesday or even yesterday, but he's still not 100%.

Anyone got anything helpful or reassuring to say?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Reassurance, pls! 6mo with mystery illness

Hi SeaShanty,

Just sounds like a viral infection to me - one of the many, many, many infections he'll get over the next few years.

The vomit and poos, the low fever, the irritability, being off his food is all pretty normal. Normally can last 3-5 days and you say he is already improving. Offer some panadol if he is in discomfort.

He *may* develop a fine red rash across his body/limbs that can come on quite quickly, but it'll just be the virus leaving the body (and will last about 48 hours). I freaked out the first time DD1 got one.

Not sure about the white spot on his throat, but the white bumps on his gums are his teeth.

Of course, if his fever spikes or his vomiting gets really bad and he's floppy and lethargic, get him back to the doctor.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to babycart For This Useful Post:

SeaShanty  (18-10-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by babycart View Post
    Hi SeaShanty,

Just sounds like a viral infection to me - one of the many, many, many infections he'll get over the next few years.

The vomit and poos, the low fever, the irritability, being off his food is all pretty normal. Normally can last 3-5 days and you say he is already improving. Offer some panadol if he is in discomfort.

He *may* develop a fine red rash across his body/limbs that can come on quite quickly, but it'll just be the virus leaving the body (and will last about 48 hours). I freaked out the first time DD1 got one.

Not sure about the white spot on his throat, but the white bumps on his gums are his teeth.

Of course, if his fever spikes or his vomiting gets really bad and he's floppy and lethargic, get him back to the doctor.

exactly my thoughts. his fever is low so don't give paracetamol as it is the bodies way of fighting the virus. lots of cuddles, extra feeds so he doesn't dehydrate is about all you can do.
    hope he is better soon

5. The Following User Says Thank You to halloweendee For This Useful Post:

SeaShanty  (18-10-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks girls - your replies made me feel so much better! I think you're both right. It seems like he's fighting off an infection of some sort, and it's coincided with cutting his first tooth. He's had a really good morning - no fever, good spirits - but he's been munching on his hands furiously and doing other things that make me think the pain he's in is from teething. He's fine when he's awake and upright and doing stuff, but pretty soon after he lays down and things quieten down (ie there are no distractions) he starts to cry and mew and stuff his hands into his mouth. Poor little thing! I actually think his first tooth is going to be a molar, which can't be fun. Anyway, I have given him some paracetamol for the pain, but I generally try to let a low fever run its course because I know it serves an important immune function.

I'll write an update if a tooth comes through soon and in case it turns out he does have a UTI.