+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Didn't vote and got a fine

Quote Originally Posted by HarvestMoon View Post
    But then they would have my current and actual address. So wouldn't i be forced on to a public roll showing my correct details?
    I suppose if your application failed they would be obliged to put those details on the public register. Maybe you could call without giving your name and see if your application would likely be accepted.
    As our application was accepted neither my details or DHs details show up on the public register. But because of a telstra stuff up we're in the phone book lol.

London is offline “I think we're losing our sense of humor instead of being able to relax and laugh at ourselves" - Betty White
    Winner 2012 - BubHubber you'd like to meet IRL
    Winner 2012 - Best Avatar

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Atropos View Post
    I see women whinging about the minor inconvenience of going to a local school to vote every few years as an absolute disrespect to the women who fought so hard for these same women to have that right.
    As I and others have said, voting itself can be avoided by leaving the form blank after getting your name marked off. So if it is YOUR belief that you shouldn't have to vote, don't. Just leave it blank. It's your right and you can throw it away if you want to. But the law says show up, get your name marked off, or cop a fine. Pretty simple.
    I get that..I totally do....and for what its worth, I am enrolled to vote.
    I just think that being forced to show up for something that a person doesnt want to isnt fair. Sure its as easy as showing up and getting your name marked off but I can imagine that for those who have zero interest in voting, showing up and lining up for sometimes over an hour for something you dont care about in the first place it must be a real drag and feel like a punishment.

I also agree with PP that if you dont vote then you cant really complain about how things are done in the country. At least if you voted you tried to have your say.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Quote Originally Posted by Atropos View Post
    So leave the form blank- that is your right. The financial penalty is for not showing up.
    The point is you don't have to show up in other places. I am from the UK so it's just weird to me. I do see pros and cons to both approaches but if I could choose I'd leave it completely voluntary, including whether you have to go to a voting station at all.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    From the Australian Electoral Commission Website regarding silent voters.

You can use this form to apply to be registered as a silent elector if you believe that having your address shown on the publicly available electoral roll could put your personal safety, or that of your family, at risk.

Silent enrolment means your address will not be shown on future editions of the publicly available roll.

You will not be granted silent elector status based solely on your
    profession, or because you have a silent phone number, or you don’t like the idea of your details being publicly available, or you don’t want to receive junk mail.

Also if it helps the electoral roll can only be viewed by going to Electoral Office. It can't be viewed online. I would imagine you'd have to give a reason to ask to see the electoral roll?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger
    I know a couple who this happened to; I think it was the same election too because it was so badly signposted. I, as well as many of my friends and family, didn't realise we had to vote that day because there was zero notice given, no signs, mail outs, ads etc. Anyway a lot of us realised quite late in the day and were madly rushing down there and texting others to let them know but a couple I know we're moving and didn't know and got fined. I'll probably get flamed for this next part judging by the tone of this thread but just to clarify it wasn't ME who did this! They heard from someone else that it's pretty easy to get out of, wrote back that they were both sick with flu or something and couldn't leave the house, and got out of it.

Say what you like, I'm not saying I'd do the same thing but they didn't set out to deliberately not vote, have always voted promptly in the past and $200+ is a lot of money to many people.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - Most posts for the week ended 19/6/2014
    I suppose if your application failed they would be obliged to put those details on the public register. Maybe you could call without giving your name and see if your application would likely be accepted.
    As our application was accepted neither my details or DHs details show up on the public register. But because of a telstra stuff up we're in the phone book lol.
    I spoke to them about it over the phone a while back now. They wouldn't comment on the likelyhood of it being successful or not. They just said i would have to do the stat dec and see if it was accepted or not.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by London View Post
    I am sorry, but I dont like how people are made to feel guilty for not wanting to vote because 'people died to vote' and 'women fought to vote' ...that was THEIR choice and THEIR beliefs....sure it might have been for the greater good but at the time it was their choice. Everyone is different and just because someone died for their cause does not mean everyone should form in line and follow that persons beliefs/choices.
    I don't care if someone feels guilty for not voting or not, the fact is it's required by law and if you don't at least show up and have your name ticked off, you're breaking the law. Are people supposed to be excused from following the law because it's inconvenient or they disagree with it? Okay cool, so it's all right to discriminate against someone because you don't want to be made to feel guilty for the fact that other people died for their beliefs, protesting for equal rights?

Thanks
    Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by meatpopsicle View Post
    I don't care if someone feels guilty for not voting or not, the fact is it's required by law and if you don't at least show up and have your name ticked off, you're breaking the law. Are people supposed to be excused from following the law because it's inconvenient or they disagree with it? Okay cool, so it's all right to discriminate against someone because you don't want to be made to feel guilty for the fact that other people died for their beliefs, protesting for equal rights?
    I agree, it's the law, we don't get to pick and choose what laws we follow for convenience.

Thanks
    Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by London View Post
    I get that..I totally do....and for what its worth, I am enrolled to vote.
    I just think that being forced to show up for something that a person doesnt want to isnt fair. Sure its as easy as showing up and getting your name marked off but I can imagine that for those who have zero interest in voting, showing up and lining up for sometimes over an hour for something you dont care about in the first place it must be a real drag and feel like a punishment.

I also agree with PP that if you dont vote then you cant really complain about how things are done in the country. At least if you voted you tried to have your say.
    There's always postal voting I guess. I actually think its very fair, it shows that every Australian is given the opportunity to vote, no one can stop another person fro exercising this right (think ultra controlling husbands who might not otherwise allow their wives etc). To me, that makes it worth a disgruntled minority who can only see how it inconveniences them and don't see the bigger picture IYKWIM.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I don't agree with compulsory voting, I think choosing not to vote should be one of the choices in a democracy. I know you can put a blank slip in but why should people go out of their way to not vote? I personally would always have my vote, but plenty of people don't want to and why should they have to? Also the parties might actually start treating policies as most important rather than who is sexist/has been to a strip club/back stabbed colleague etc....

OP - In terms of getting out of the fine I have heard (at high school from a teacher haha!) that you can get out of the fine if you say you were sick. If you want to give lying a go maybe try that rather than that you were there?