+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I love voting. We have council elections going on at the moment and I spent hours last weekend researching the candidates (there are 19 in my ward) and deciding on my preferences. I'd be devastated if I missed a chance to vote!

A candidate/party that I like and agree with getting one more vote because of me is awesome

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to shelle65 For This Useful Post:

Guest654  (18-10-2012),LoveHeart  (18-10-2012)

LifeInShadesOfGrey is offline Just a little bit silly :)
    Winner 2012 - Best Username
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Default Didn't vote and got a fine

We live in an area where thing aren't often sign posted. This includes elections. Our recent election we had no idea was on until I saw something on Facebook that morning about a friend voting. We made is down there and voted.

Unfortunately it's one of those things that we are obliged to do and if we don't then we just have to grin an cop the fine.

Take it as a lesson learned for future elections.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Definitely do not lie as you could get prosecuted for the criminal offence of making a false statement. Many people have come unstuck by lying in situations such as this to try and get out of paying a small fine, such as a parking ticket. Personally, I would just pay the fine.

Gothel is offline Skip the drama, stay with Mama!
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Default Re: Didn't vote and got a fine

I got a parking fine a while back, I bought the ticket but forgot to put it on the windscreen. So I appealed the fine, giving my reasons, and they let me off... I suspect because I had no other fines/demerits on my license.
    Not quite the same thing but my point is, you usually do the right thing, you made a genuine mistake. I am sure there is an appeals process for voting fines so I would appeal it, be as honest as you can and see what happens. I wouldn't lie, not just because it's the wrong thing to do but also if you said you weren't around, you would have to supply proof... But also you are just digging yourself a bigger hole.and potentially making a small problem much bigger!

Thanks
    Reviews
    What's with all the RUDE responses in this thread. Gee.

I also am in the same boat, I have always voted and value the opportunity to vote. But stupidly in April this year my area did a vote for a new mayor and it was so badly organised that a 3rd of the population didn't vote!! Why??? Because it was poorly advertised AND it was postal vote only!! Which most people didn't even get the papers to post through. I was actually unaware it was on till the day before (I was out of town for a period of time before) but even so the option of going in to vote wasn't given. It was do poorly managed and a 3rd of the population got fines. In which it is still being spoken about in the paper weekly. I believe they are considering dropping all fines (the official fine hasn't been sent yet only the Pre-fine).

So before people go galloping on their high horses maybe you should ask the op which election it was? I voted for the premier one it was highly advertised but our crappy council one was so poorly managed no doubt so many didn't vote.

Even so not voting ONCE out of years of voting hardly means the op doesn't take her obligation to vote lightly and doesn't value her vote. Geesh.

Op I wouldn't lie I would simple tell the truth and see how you go.

7. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to 1CrazyMoose For This Useful Post:

Bonkers  (18-10-2012),Liddybugs  (18-10-2012),Mommi Wren  (18-10-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    So before people go galloping on their high horses maybe you should ask the op which election it was? I voted for the premier one it was highly advertised but our crappy council one was so poorly managed no doubt so many didn't vote.
    I was just about to post about the fact there was a small local voting 1 or 2 weeks after the BIG one EVERYONE knew about. I only knew of it due to reading the voting letter and it was only one line. No mail drops, not adds just a few signs around on the day.

as for OP - call them and explain if they will not accept it as a valid reason then pay the fine.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I don't think any of the responses have been rude at all. It's just an open and frank conversation.

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to peoniesarepretty For This Useful Post:

HugsBunny  (18-10-2012),meatpopsicle  (18-10-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Didn't vote and got a fine

Quote Originally Posted by FearlessLeader View Post
    People b*tch and moan about when centrlink/ato stuffs things up, or when middle class benefits/rebates get cut. We just love getting stuff for not a lot in return in this country. Your ONLY obligation as a citizen is to go and line up, get your name ticked off, maybe tick a few boxes (you don't have to if you don't want to) and put it in a ballot box. If you forget, don't know or don't go, that's on you. It is your responsibility to go and do it. Suck it up and pay the fine.

Sent from my HTC Sensation Z710a using BubHub
    Yes. This exactly. I hate seeing the apathy displayed toward voting on bh.

London is offline “I think we're losing our sense of humor instead of being able to relax and laugh at ourselves" - Betty White
    Winner 2012 - BubHubber you'd like to meet IRL
    Winner 2012 - Best Avatar

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Id pay it and move on.
    Personally, I hate that we are forced to vote and are fined if we dont...but what can you do really?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Voting is my only obligation? What about the obligation to pay tax on every dollar I earn and every dollar I spend (GST)? What about the myriad other laws I am obligated to follow? Pfft.

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BornToBe For This Useful Post:

mixinitup  (19-10-2012),Theophania  (18-10-2012)