+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default Adult teeth coming through behind baby teeth.

DD is 5 and I just noticed today that she has an adult tooth coming through behind her baby teeth. The baby tooth isn't wobbly at all. Its a bottom front tooth. I think it came through on the weekend. Has anyone else had this with their kids? What happened did a dentist have to do anything?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

This just happened with my DD1.. Although it made her baby tooth wobbly and kind of 'pushed' it out.

I took her to the dentist and they told me the teeth will come through straighter and in a better position if there is no baby tooth. So basically they said because her adult tooth obviously come through prior to a loss of tooth and quickly to get her to wiggle and twist as much as possible to make the baby tooth come out!

Thanks
    Reviews

I had 4 baby teeth taken out when I was 10?12 or something as the adults were coming through on top of them. I think they were the top incisors/canines/premolars

Thanks
    Reviews
    This has happened to my DD twice (she's 5). Both baby teeth fell out about a month or two after the adult teeth had grown and have mostly moved forward into their correct places

Thanks
    Reviews

My DD currently has an adult tooth coming up under her baby tooth. Her baby tooth is holding on just by the back bit and the adult tooth is coming in fine. I figure it will fall out soon enough but it's not bothering her so I haven't tried pulling it (plus DD is a mega princess so it would be torture if I was to force the baby tooth out).

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Happened to my nephew, it's called shark teeth. He had about 4 that were overlapping. The dentist said removing the baby teeth would be traumatic for him, but as previous posters have said just wobble the baby teeth as much as you can to encourage it to leave.

Thanks
    Reviews
    ha ha that's funny I just found DS has had one of these pop up last night when I brushed his teeth- we've been calling him sharkboy all day and he's quite impressed with that
    I recall my younger brother had it happen with a couple of his teeth when we were kids and nothing got done about it by the dentist. My DS has the slightest wobble starting on the corresponding baby tooth so I'm goibng to give it a few weeks and see if it comes out by itself to make some space. I remember seeing stuff about it on a google search and it seemed nothing to be concerned by.

Thanks
    Reviews
    This happened to DD. I took her to the Dentist who told me she had to wobble the baby teeth every day to try to get them out. The Dentist gave me a month to get them out. Her baby teeth were not wobbly at all.

After 6 weeks we took her back to the Dentist (still not wobbly) and the Dentist put numbing jell on her gums, a needle and whipped them out. By this time her adult teeth were as tall as her baby teeth. (The Dentist really had to yank them - they were not coming out any time soon.)

When we decided we would have to take her back to the dentist to have them removed, the Toothfairy wrote DD a letter and told her how she has been waiting for the teeth and asked DD to go to her special helper the Dentist and see if her helper can help the teeth along. DD felt extra special and showed the letter to the Dentist and took it to school to show her friends. We had no drama. (The Toothfairy also left a bit extra because of how they were removed.)

The tongue naturally pushed the adult teeth into place and you would never know she had shark teeth.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Life is Good For This Useful Post:

meesha87  (17-03-2013)