+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Help! Menstrual cup users

I'm onto my 3rd cycle using a menstrual cup now, and I love using it and will never go back to tampons, but I'm struggling to use it.
    I am finding it hard to pop open once it's inserted to create the seal. I thought I had it in pretty good tonight when I checked to made sure it was popped out but I still had leaks. Will it get easier? I'm folding it punch down style and pop it open once inside then push it up towards my cervix. Also how do I remove it without it being ouchies?
    I just hope I'm experiencing beginners problems and will get the hang of it soon. I'm using a Meluna medium cup with ring and it's the harder style one. I've also got a soft small cup with ball and I struggle with it too.
    Helps/tips/suggestions please.
    Last edited by FiredUp; 18-10-2012 at 20:36.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi sorry your having so much trouble have you tried any other folding methods? I fold mine in half and then half again before inserting. Once inserted I twist it around a bit to ensure its opened.

To remove it I bear down a bit to push it down to opening and then grab the tab and push the cup a bit to release the suction a bit. It shouldn't hurt.

I have a Lunette.

try the other folds it might work better for you!

good luck!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Try running your finger around the top once its in, push outwards on your insides (rather than inwards towards the cup if that makes sense). To remove do the same sort of thing but push in towards the cup to break the seal then pull downwards (bear down to help f you have broken the seal). Empty the cup by pulling it out and tipping it backwards instead of forwards (pull the back down first). HTH

SpecialPatrolGroup is offline T-rex is cranky until she gets her coffee.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I am thinking of getting a cup but had no idea there was so much to putting them in and taking them out.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to SpecialPatrolGroup For This Useful Post:

Chillies  (18-10-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews

Is it possible the cup I'm using is too small. I'm 26 with 1 child. I ordered the small one coz I thought I had a small vjj, as I can easily reach my cervix with my middle finger, but perhaps it's not wide enough. Maybe I'll order a larger size. I'm 50kg and 165cm. Or doesn't that matter, only if you've given birth or not???
    Everything that's been mentioned I have been doing.

Thanks
    Reviews
    subbing, just got my period back after 14mths, so keen to try the cup

SpecialPatrolGroup is offline T-rex is cranky until she gets her coffee.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by FiredUp View Post
    Is it possible the cup I'm using is too small. I'm 26 with 1 child. I ordered the small one coz I thought I had a small vjj, as I can easily reach my cervix with my middle finger, but perhaps it's not wide enough. Maybe I'll order a larger size. I'm 50kg and 165cm. Or doesn't that matter, only if you've given birth or not???
    Everything that's been mentioned I have been doing.
    I thought that the general rule of thumb (or rule of va-jay-jay) was that if you have had a vaginal birth you needed a medium or large cup.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    This is my second time with the cup and its do freaking awesome I wish I had never used tampons.

Anyway I use a femme cup and it looks to be a big size. I also do a lotus fold so you push down and fold. It then becomes a point and I find it easier to insert. Then I twist it around and I feel it pop open. It's never leaked for me.

To take it out i bear down so it kinda comes out then pull it out. I also vessel the suction.

Just takes a bit if getting used to.

Thanks
    Reviews

I've just worked it out after googling. I've been pushing it up past my cervix instead of right under it. I just run my finger around the outside of it and make sure my cervix sits in the cup. No leaks yay . This was with the small cup too
    Last edited by FiredUp; 18-10-2012 at 20:37.

Thanks
    Reviews

Last edited by FiredUp; 06-01-2013 at 00:32.