+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default 'Unpasteurised' juice contains listeria - what is unpasteurised juice? Fresh juice?

Hi all,
    I am feeling very worried because I just received a government brochure about listeria, and it says one of the foods to avoid is "drinks made from fresh fruit or vegetables."
    I drink 'fresh juice' every day - by fresh I mean the juice in the fridge from the supermarket. Usually I buy Daily Juice or Nudie juices.
    I googled 'pregnancy and juice' and it comes up with topics stating that you can't drink 'unpasteurised juice' in pregnancy because it can contain listeria.
    I think the websites are American. I have never heard of juice being pasteurised/unpasteurised - but one website said unpasteurised juice is often called 'fresh juice.'
    Does anyone know whether juice is safe or can we only drink the long-life juice in bottles from the room-temperature aisles at the supermarket?
    It is too late now as I have already drank lots of fresh juice but I can stop drinking it now.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Isn't pasteurization just a treatment process? If so id say pretty much all "fresh" juice in the chilled section at the supermarket would be pasteurized if you read the tiny print on the back.

Im guessing they mean those juice bars and freshly made juice at the markets where the fruit/vegetables may not have been washed and the juice machine not kept properly clean.

Just a guess though.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to WineTime For This Useful Post:

angelini  (18-10-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    A quick Google seems to back up my theory.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I'm pretty sure most fresh juice, in the chilled section, is pasturised. Check on the label, it should say.

There is one type I can think of, though, I can't remember what it's called, but it's in a triangle shaped bottle - delicious apple juice flavours! It's cold treated somehow so I wouldn't drink it while pregnant - pasturisation is a heating process.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Wow I've never even heard of this! I wouldn't have thought anything of drinking fresh juice when I was pregnant with DD. oops!

Thanks
    Reviews
    I have to admit its not something I've ever been concerned with, and if I was a juice drinker I dont think it'd stop me. Mind you I dont go to juice bars either.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hey everyone,
    Thanks for your replies! If anyone else is also interested I contacted Daily Juice and Nudie juice today and they told me that their fresh chilled juices are pasteurised.
    Phew!

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MrsStewart For This Useful Post:

littlelove  (19-12-2012),MINIRoo  (19-10-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Most drinks sold in Australia have to be pasteurised by regulations it's rare to find ones that arnt basically they heat the mixture to a temperature that kills most bacteria then cool and package it

London is offline “I think we're losing our sense of humor instead of being able to relax and laugh at ourselves" - Betty White
    Winner 2012 - BubHubber you'd like to meet IRL
    Winner 2012 - Best Avatar

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by WineTime View Post

Im guessing they mean those juice bars and freshly made juice at the markets where the fruit/vegetables may not have been washed and the juice machine not kept properly clean.

Just a guess though.
    This would be my assumption too.