Thanks
    Reviews

Default discipline

how do you teach discipline?

eg no smashing drink bottle against glass cabinet
    no touching tv screen
    no pushing things off table

etc

Sometimes a 'no' works. Sometimes DS can't/doesn't hear. Sometimes he ignores us.

I don't want to become a family that screams or smacks. I've seen well behaved kids before, is it possible or just luck?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Just keep at it with a firm 'no' and redirecting behaviour. Take away the bottle if he is hitting things with it, move him away from the tv if he's touching it, etc. If this results in tantrums (as it does with my 1yr old DD), just ignore the tantrum and they'll soon get over it.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I'm not sure lol, trying to figure this out too.

We are doing the 'count to three then time-out' for DD currently. DF or I will go "DD, you have till the count of 3 to stop that or we will put you in your cot. 1...2... are you going to stop? 3." Then we whisk her straight to her cot for about 30secs-1min timeout. I stand nearby & tell her why we don't want her doing dangerous/naughty things.
    If she moves away before we get to 3 then goes back to it (usually accompanied with a challenging look) it is straight to timeout.
    Once she moves away or after time-out I'll try to distract with something else.

Cheeky terror now holds up her fingers to count along with us... (so hard to keep a straight face though when she does that)

Most of the time she stops by the count of 2 but still ends up in the cot several times a week. First time I did it she stayed away from the TV for 3weeks.

I don't want to scream or smack either.
    Last edited by Izzys Dragon; 17-10-2012 at 18:43.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts

Default discipline

We just moved him away and distracted him , we have a water cooler in the family room and once he started walking he would go over to it and try push the button, we just kept picking him up and moving him saying "thats not for Elijah to touch" ( we actually never said no as i also didn't want to be always saying no all the time!) after about a week and a few try's a day he just walked past it and never touched it again, same with things on the coffee table, tv buttons etc, I think you just have to be consistent, and move them on to something else

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    This is a tough one and often depends on the temperament of the individual child. For my DS1, who was very spirited, loved exploring everything and didn't sit still very often lol, 'no' just didn't work when he was little, and neither did getting angry- I could have been saying 'no' all day! I had to develop a strategy of diverting him onto another activity that provided a suitable solution- whether it be food, an outing to the park and so on. As Elijahs mum said, consistency is the key!!! It is hard when they are young... Good luck

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default discipline

Consistency is the key. I always follow up with a reason why the child shouldn't touch something too so they don't think mum doesn't want me to touch it so I just have to do it! My dd does that lol. So for example - dd stop Hitting the tv please. It will break and you will get hurt. Then move them away. Doesn't always work but you've just gotta stick to your guns.

Thanks
    Reviews

Default discipline

Also I'm not a huge fan of using their cot/bed for time out at this age just incase they begin to associate bed time with time out creating a whole new bunch of issues for bed time.
    Redirection and consistency with whatever you choose to do

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Tizzy View Post
    Consistency is the key. I always follow up with a reason why the child shouldn't touch something too so they don't think mum doesn't want me to touch it so I just have to do it! My dd does that lol. So for example - dd stop Hitting the tv please. It will break and you will get hurt. Then move them away. Doesn't always work but you've just gotta stick to your guns.
    Agree with this... also don't expect too much while they're really young.

Thanks
    Reviews
    yeah I can't be sure if he understands when I explain...

Thanks
    Reviews

Default discipline

Yeah he'll understand eventually. I know it's draining but stick with it!