+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Unable to wean

My 7.5 month old son just loves his boobie, so much that he won't take anything else I didn't really plan to feed as long as I have but he had other plans so i've been keeping it up for him. I have tried so many different bottles and sippy cups, different formula's he just won't have a bar of it. The only thing he will take is cool boiled water from a standard cup and i've managed to feed him a bottle of formula without the lid on aswell.
    I'm just after some advice, my girls were formula fed once they were a couple of months old so i've never had this issue before. I'd love to wean so that we can ttc #4 and my cycles are abit out of whack right now (last cycle was 40 days, when I usually average 28-30). But I'm abit concerned about how to approach it.
    I had a family friend suggest leaving him with somebody else for the day with bottles/formula. But I have done this myself where I refused to feed for about 10 hours and he basically starved himself. I feel abit uneasy leaving him in that situation. I don't want to distress him.
    I'm assuming that feeding him full-time out of normal cup is probably not suitable?
    He gets plenty of fruit and veg in his solid meals. If worst comes to worst, i'm happy to hold out untill 12 months and wean him then but will it just get harder the longer I leave it?
    Some advice would be wonderful!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Default Unable to wean

Why is it not ok to just use a cup?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default Unable to wean

My dh was weaned straight onto a cup. I think if it suits you, then go for it. He can always learn how to use a sippy cup or straw cup afterwards.

Thanks
    Reviews
    They get comfort from sucking and I think that is why DS is so attached because of the comfort it provides him. I tried weaning him onto a very standard "Dinkee" sippy cup yesterday but he didn't like that either lol.

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Unable to wean

My 10.5 month old is going strong. He won't have a bar of milk or formula, in a cup or bottle. He is going to be tough to wean

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Re: Unable to wean

My ds is 2y4 months, he drinks water & sometimes juice,
    He is still breast fed, i wanted to do self weening but i don't think he will drop it, when he weens i doubt he will consume dairy as he loathes it.

Eta he is very particular about what he will and wont drink out of, heinz sippy cups or the plastic pop top bottles
    Sent from my MB526 using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews
    We were TTC while breastfeeding, my cycles were all over the place so I used an ovulation test and got pregnant straight away

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week

Default Unable to wean

7.5 months is still young. I'd try and hang out to 12 months. By then bub would be eating lots, used to having different shapes and textures in his mouth (spoons etc) and hopefully won't be that fussed by weaning. Enjoy the extra closeness it brings you two before bub number 4 is on the scene...

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks for the replies, I think i'm going to stick with it for now, feel guilty removing his safety and comfort when he still needs it. But I bought a Maybe Baby ovulation tester so hopefully that will help us pinpoint this uncertain days abit easier