+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Wow, I envy those that even can exercise in pregnancy! I'm 9+5 today and I haven't been able to do anything thanks to all day sickness. The moment I start walking on the treadmill, I feel sick and have to stop

Thanks
    Reviews
    GP was correct I think.. I walked a lot and swam . Also did a pregnancy exercise class .. Part of the hospital .. Called "Mums in Training "

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Very confused by conflicting advice re: exercise in pregnancy. What do you do?

As pp said take up swimming. You won't overheat and theres no impact.

I know the odds of something going wrong are small, but of something does go wrong you want to make sure you did everything you could to avoid it. It's nine months. Nine months of slowing down wont hurt you.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I was very into the gym, running, volleyball etc before I fell pregnant and had every intention of continuing in a modified capacity whilst pregnant. My body had other ideas however lol. I have been SO TIRED the ENTIRE pregnancy. Sigh. It was actually a real mental struggle to go from having endless energy and never being still to hardly being able to drag my butt off the lounge lol.

I kept playing volleyball until 17 weeks. Once I felt bub move I wasn't so keen on jumping around and there is a lot of erratic movement in volleyball. I kept doing weights at the gym until about 10 weeks I think and running until about the same...but then exhaustion and sickness got me.

I have kept up the walking (admittedly not so much through the colder, darker winter months lol) but am still out walking every day now at 40+1.

Listen to your body, it'll certainly let you know if you're doing more than you should!

Busy-Bee is offline Offending people since before Del :D
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator - Thank you
    Quote Originally Posted by P0tat0gem View Post
    Your family are over reacting and your gym is lying to you.

Stay cool, stay hydrated and keep your heart rate at a maximum of 140bpm and you are fine to go.
    Yup, this. Moderate exercise is always good for you. You may need to modify as your bump gets bigger. I went to a fitness first right up until I was about 8.5 months preg and ended up just doing a stroll on a treadmill just to keep some level of activity.
    RPM - stay hydrated, don't over do it. Keep your HR to no more than about 140, if you can talk you're ok, don't go so hard you can't talk, that's not good.
    Pump - as your bump gets bigger you will have to modify as you go and a pump instructor should be able to offer suggestions. The key things will be to tilt your bench when you lie down so your head is raised, take your feet a little wider when doing squats to counter the changing centre of balance and as soon as there is an indication of bump you will need to completely modify the ab track. You shouldn't do anything that will encourage muscle seperation so sit ups, crunches etc are out, hovers are in. Lots of pointers too are a good alternative or even just ab curls when you're on all fours. I found as my bump got bigger dumbells were easier for the back track as I kept hitting the barbell into my tummy. They were also good for the chest track as it was easier to put them down each side without twisting. As you get bigger you will need to slow down to get up from your back, it involves rolling onto one side and sitting up from there so you can't do the quick get up anymore.
    Pilates - not sure but your pilates instructor should be able to assist. Pilates is generally idea for preg woman as it's low impact.
    Best of luck!!

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Very confused by conflicting advice re: exercise in pregnancy. What do you do?

Yep also heard not to exceed heart rate of 140

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts

Default Re: Very confused by conflicting advice re: exercise in pregnancy. What do you do?

I'd maintain the same activity if it feels right, if not slow down.

I wasn't working out as such but I worked in childcare until 37 weeks, I walked about 2klms to and from work (each way), worked mainly on my feet, danced and played, lifted babies and toddlers etc. Not as intense as a gym work out but 40+ hours a week. I was very fit. It made pregnancy a lot more comfortable I think. It was only really past 40 weeks I felt like "whoa I'm very pregnant I should slow down"

Though second pregnancy my back and energy levels etc just weren't as good so I did slow down with katelyn.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews
    I work 12 hour days on my feet in a busy ward as a midwife working 40hours a week.

I also do stretching and cross teamed 1-2 times a week. Go for bike rides 2-3 times a week and I walk a lot. Going to take up yoga and swimming as I get bigger . I would say I'm doing light- moderate exercise. And would like to increase the regularity a bit. I don't exercise on work days as I'm too tired.

I think you should be fine if you rest when needed and wear a heart rate monitor. Stating active will help you when it comes time to give birth too!

9. The Following User Says Thank You to BlueLips For This Useful Post:

littlemissmidwife  (05-12-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews

Ive heard too that it's great to swim especially with summer here this weekend trying to stay cool on land maybe hard. Great for breathing, and all over workpuy