+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Very confused by conflicting advice re: exercise in pregnancy. What do you do?

Hi all,

I am really confused about how, when and where to exercise during pregnancy. I love fitness and am pretty fit. Usually, each week I do 1 Body Pump class, 1 or 2 RPM classes, and 1 or 2 reformer pilates classes.

Here is what I have been told:
    • Mum, stepmum and MIL: all say absolutely not, that exercise dangerous and I am putting baby's safety at risk. All say just rest for 9 months. Do not lift anything, no weights, no cardio.
    • GP: says "light" exercise is fine but "don't overdo it" and "don't overheat." I don't know what "overdoing it" means - by definition when I exercise I sweat and get hot and my heartrate and breathing increases.
    • Fitness First: I just rang them and they said I can see a Personal Trainer but he is really expensive and apparently I can't just go in and use the gym on my own, it has to be in a session with him. The manager advised me against doing group fitness classes - he said they are good for general fitness but not designed for pregnancy.
    Then I looked into doing Preggi Bellies classes but the times don't suit me, and seeing as I'm paying for a gym membership I'm worried it will get really expensive.

I have ordered the Tracy Anderson Pregnancy Project DVD but am worried it won't keep me fit enough.

Argh! What are you ladies doing for exercise? Where can I get reliable advice from? I don't want to wait for the ob as I'm not seeing him until 10 weeks.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Your family are over reacting and your gym is lying to you.

Stay cool, stay hydrated and keep your heart rate at a maximum of 140bpm and you are fine to go.

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to P0tat0gem For This Useful Post:

MINIRoo  (28-11-2012),Mulva  (17-10-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    agree with pp. best to follow what your dr has said. he's the professional. he knows about what would suit pregnant women best.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I excercise during pregnancy, but if you're used to exercising quite hard you'll be surprised at just how easy you have to take it. Your heart rate shouldn't be over 150bpm. I do Zumba and Body attack, and wear my HRM when I work out. I'm constantly finding myself having to slow down to keep baby safe. I have to do everything in my attack class at the lowest level to keep my heart rate in the safe zone. Normally I'm the girl up the front row going hard core, jumping the highest, bouncing non stop through the entire class... now I'm the girl in the back row doing squats instead of jumping it's a hard thing to get the hang of at first, but you can do it. If you're puffing, you're doing too much. You should be able to hold a comfortable conversation whilst exercising.

As for weights, nothing wrong with light hand weights, but if you have to grunt or strain to pick it up, it is too heavy.

ETA - if you are a very fit person used to working out heavily, you are more than likely going to lose SOME of your fitness level during pregnancy. Not all of it, but some. If you exercise daily keeping your heartrate below 150bpm, you're going to stay fit, but you certainly won't be increasing your fitness level while pregnant, just maintaining
    Last edited by CazHazKidz; 17-10-2012 at 15:36.

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Very confused by conflicting advice re: exercise in pregnancy. What do you do?

As a trainer who is also pregnant .... I say as long as you were already exercising then you're fine to continue as normal .. All the textbooks say keep your HR under140-150 but it's very standard . If you're used to getting it higher then it's ok but not for long periods of time . I either do interval cardio to increase hr for 30-60 seconds and then recover for 1-2 mins depending on your fitness and repeat , or do moderate long cardio workouts where my hr sits around 150-165. As I've been at it for years that number is safe for me. Just remember your resting HR is already increased during pregnancy so it won't take as much as usual to get it higher.
    Just make sure you listen to your body , I'f you're exhausted that day don't force yourself to work out, keep hydrated before during and after , and avoid training on hot days or in hot environments ...... If you do the classes , speak to the instructor at the start so they know and if they offer lower impact versions etc then maybe use that if you need. Overheating and high HR for long periods of time are the biggest worries, if you feel nervous you could always wear a HR monitor . The machines at the gym aren't always accurate .

Hope that helps! Feel free to MSG me if you have anymore questions !

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MrsEH For This Useful Post:

ligurl27  (01-01-2013),littlemissmidwife  (05-12-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    If you're used to exercising then you're fine to do what you're doing now You'll know when you're over doing it and need to slow down.

One of my pump instructors led our classes until she was 36 weeks and was always in my combat, attack and spin classes too! She just modified some things as her bump grew like no jumping lunges or star jumps, she did option they recomend for newcomers.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    You're going to get lots of that during pregnancy - conflicting info!! RE exercise I do what I did pre-preg, which is lots of walking, weight bearing exercises, some yoga and pilates.

I think your mum, stepmum & MIL are overreacting - keeping fit is actually a really important part of pregnancy and is going to help you through labour. I think your gym are covering themselves if anything were to go wrong.

It is my understanding that you can continue to do what you were doing pre-pregnancy but don't try to increase fitness, and listen more carefully to your body and stop straight away if anything feels uncomfortable. The issue with overheating is that baby can't regulate their temperature, so rely on you to do so, so keeping hydrated is really really important. Keep in mind your body produces more relaxin when pregnant, so just make sure you are doing weight lifting/ bearing exercises properly or you can risk muscle injury (it's my understanding the risk is more to you with lifting weights, not actually affecting the baby). As you get further and further along you'll probably find with the extra weight and hinderance of a belly you will naturally slow down a little.
    Last edited by decemberbubba; 17-10-2012 at 17:46.

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Re: Very confused by conflicting advice re: exercise in pregnancy. What do you do?

My doctor told me heart rate below 150 and if you're sweating more than very lightly you're body temp is too high. My PT told me no running or high impact exercise, that bike and walking is okay and cross trainer as long as I keep it on a lower level. He also told me if you can breathe normally whilst doing weights that's fine, but if you find yourself holding your breathe to go lighter.
    Im struggling with the whole exercise thing too, I used to gym 6 days a week now between tiredness and boredom at not being able to do most of the stuff I love I'm only going twice a week.

Sent from my HTC One X using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    I'd go light.

If you exercise before pregnancy, you should be fine to exercise now. Of course, restricting some of the things you do.

I'd go with light exercise and then speak to your midwife/OB as soon as you can and get more info from them. I wouldn't be taking advice from my ILs nor a personal trainer in this regard.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I asked my GP the same question yesterday his response was I can exercise just don't wear myself out and if I am already feeling exhausted give it a skip that day.