+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 17 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TimTamsandTea View Post
    We celebrate anything and everything here ... but not Halloween.
    Skeletons, witches, ghosts - everything associated with this event is just so dark and dreary.
    I don't see anything wrong with what the mum said to her children. She snapped at her kids? Not nice, you're right. But just how many times had she patiently responded to her kids requests before she got a little narky?
    I agree with this statement. My 2 year old often repeats things that she wants time and time again and sometimes I eventually snap at her. You don't know what happened previously to this mum snapping at her kids.

I think there's no harm in having some fun for halloween but the reality is if we did celebrate halloween in Australia it wouldnt be on October 31st.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Default Not believing in Halloween?

Quote Originally Posted by Happy2be3 View Post
    Geeze, im glad to see so many non Christians giving their opinion on why Christians don't celebrate Halloween *sarcasm*.. Speak for yourself please don't generalise.

I as a Christian do not celebrate Halloween because of the way it's represented. I couldn't care less about occult or pagan stuff... To me it is making light of/encouraging acceptance of ghosts, spirits, monsters, demons.... All the things in the bible that it tells You NOT to follow.
    Yeah because if you aren't Christian you don't get an opinion. It's not like Christians go around giving their opinions on things that don't concern them like abortion or gay marriage... Oh, wait... :rollseyes:
    Funny how your explanation is basically the same as the ones given by the non Christians!
    Sheesh, lighten up, nothing offensive was said!

OP my kids love Halloween but in our neighbourhood, no one celebrates it. They did where we lived before and it was lovely to see all the kids having so much fun.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Atropos For This Useful Post:

Witwicky  (20-10-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    I LOVE IT!
    Its my favourite time of year,unlike Christmas,
    it's all about fun, family games, treats and costumes, so all of the fun but none of the stress and expectations of Christmas.
    What's not to love.
    Im Irish though, so I have lots of great memories from this time of year.

My DS is four now, and I'm chuffed that we can really get into it this year.
    I'm having a little party for me, oops!! I mean him, hehe, and his little friends.
    He's dressing up as a scary skeleton, and I'm dressing up as a witch.

I won't be bringing him trick or treating though,
    I totally understand its not for everyone, but I am really hoping we get door knockers.
    It'd be so great for DS to see that.

His day care are having a fancy dress party on Halloween too,
    which I was surprised to hear,
    I'm really hoping he's in on that day, exciting

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Phony For This Useful Post:

halloweendee  (19-10-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I totally forgot last year, we are not really into it, and had to give the door knockers musli bars and bananas!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I wouldn't say we "celebrate" it. In previous years, we've done the trick or treating thing- I really don't want to this year (can't really be bothered with so much lollies to (sneakily) get rid of, and being mid week.
    We (mainly DS and I but whoever is home at the time) do movie nights most Fridays as a means to relax. If there's something like this on, we'll incorporate it into our movie night just to make it a bit interesting and exciting. The last thing we did was an Olympic movie night- we're we made Olympic themed decorations, bought some Aussie decorations and had food in Olympic colours. My nephews love the idea of themed movie nights and always want to come over so it looks like it'll be more of a halloween movie party!!!

8. The Following User Says Thank You to SimplyMum For This Useful Post:

Phony  (19-10-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awwww I love Halloween, but no one around here celebrates it.
    So yeah I tell my kids that Australia doesn't really *do* Halloween, and hence we don't really either. However if one of my friends hosts a Halloween party we go and have a great time, get dressed up and have fun. No trick or treating though. Last year I made my first ever Jack-o-lantern to bring to the party, it was so awesome!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    I don't like Halloween but not because of the normal reasons. DD2 (8yrs) has a lolly allergy so dressing up and asking people for lollies can't happen. We rarely have lollies in the house.

I'm letting DD1 go to a Halloween party with some friends as apparently it's huge in one of their streets. But she has to be very careful what she brings home.

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Re: Not believing in Halloween?

Quote Originally Posted by sunnyflower View Post
    I hope I can answer this. I am a Christian and we don't believe in celebrating Halloween as it has its roots in the occult and also misrepresents ghosts, ghouls etc as just being fun etc. Christians believe that there are two forces , God and his angels and satan and his demonic angels. We are not to have anything to do with the latter which is why we would never have a seance etc....it's just not something I want to be involved with nor do I want ds to be involved in it. There's just much happier , nicer stuff around than ghosts , death etc etc. I probably haven't explained very well .
    Yep u explained it VERY well :-) Thanks! This is exactly why we (my family) don't celebrate it. Plus, like another poster said... It's just over board and thankfully, I don't think it will ever become popular here.

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Not believing in Halloween?

Dd has been tricknor treating with her uncles before, but were never home to hand out lollies, as it's fil's birthday, although beingmid week this year we might be home. I wish we were every year though, and we've just move into a street packed with kids so I think it will be popular here
    I don't see the harm in it, and if you don't like kids knocking on your door go out for a while, or just don't answer the door.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Happy2be3 View Post
    I don't think it will ever become popular here.
    I wouldn't bet on that.
    Since I've been here I've seen it go from almost zero interest, to finding it very easy to buy everything I need to celebrate it.