+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 17 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by WineTime View Post
    Give it time, im sure theres a marketing department in woolies or coles who are all over it...
    Ohhh I live in hope...

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    We don't believe in it either ( me hubby bought up catholics and mums very against it) but saying that i let the kids dress up and go trick o treating with our neighbours kids ( with an adult). They understand we take them but if others want to take them then they can go ( ie im not going to deny them a chance to have fun with friends). Also though i always have lollies for kids who come. Wierd I know. I guess im embracing the chance to be a kid and have fun but not have the MIL and mum in my head.

We live in a neighbourhood of lots of kids and every year have loads of treaters

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Re: Not believing in Halloween?

Im in wa and hardly know its on each year because no houses or people dress up in my area..
    Last year had kids knock on the door for first time ever and dh and i were eating dinner in our undies so that was awkward.. But we gave them lollies we keep in our car haha poor dears. But Yeh i don't like it and won't be takin ds when he is older

Saying that if there was a school party or house party for it i would let ds dress up. Just the whole knocking on strangers doors thing i don't like

Thanks
    Reviews
    ahhhhh.....as you can tell i'm probably pro-halloween

my family is american and we celebrated it every year - making jack-o-lanterns (yes, even from ironbark pumpkins because that's all there was), dressing up, making a haunted house for the neighbourhood kids etc.

i carry on the tradition with a huge halloween festival/weekend at my farm. i literally have thousands of dollars worth of props and decorations. we have feasting, bonfires, trick or treating, pumpkin carving etc.

every who comes for the first time that say 'i don't do halloween' always comes back the next year in full costume with other people in tow. it is fun!!

life is far toooo serious - what is wrong with adults taking a day out to dress up, eat candy, play with their kids, meet other people and celebrate?
    and for other people it represents the change in season (albeit 6 months early/late) but it is the symbolism of being grateful for your harvest, acknowledging ancestors, celebrating a successful bounty.

"Known by many names; Halloween, Samhain, All Hallow’s Eve; this harvest celebration originated from Celtic tradition and marks the end of summer, the beginning of the New Year and the time when the veil between the living and the dead was lifted.
    Bonfires were lit and the ashes scattered over the fields as protection for good crops, faces were carved in gourds & pumpkins to frighten away evil spirits, candles were lit in homes of houses to welcome departed loved ones and celebrations involving games, food, wine and dancing were held in villages throughout Northern Europe.
    Brought to America with the pilgrims, Halloween then merged with other cultural influences such as Mexico (Dias De Los Muertos – Day of the Dead) where townspeople dress up as ghouls, ghosts & skeletons and parade through town collecting flowers and candy.
    Halloween is officially the oldest festival known to man -
    an ancient celebration of harvest, life and death"

(this is taken from one of my signs we have up each year)

and for nothing else, if you don't like it, don't answer the door. or go to halloween parties.
    but don't get all grinch-like

5. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to halloweendee For This Useful Post:

Amiedoll  (31-10-2012),FluffyDucks  (19-10-2012),meljemillie  (31-10-2012),Phony  (19-10-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I think the same as you darla87. Infact DD is going trick or treating this year for the first time. But we always have lollies for other kids in previous years. To be honest I don't celebrate to beleive in anything. It's just a bit of fun. I don't see why the older kid couldn't have the bucket. It didn't have to be used for trick or treating it could have just been used for normal play.

Thanks
    Reviews

We are Christian and therefore we don't celebrate Halloween or allow super natural themes in our house.

Thankfully we have never had anyone come trick or treating, nor have I seen anyone in the neighbourhood doing it... Actually the large retailer I work for doesn't even stock the merchandise :-)

It could have been me at the shop you overheard, as I do and have explained why we don't celebrate/watch/play with certain things to my son if he asks.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Happy2be3 For This Useful Post:

Eternity  (18-10-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts

Default Not believing in Halloween?

well I'm in America and the build up to Halloween is crazy here ! so much fun! I don't really understand it in aus as we font really celebrate it but here it's so fun, houses decorated like it's christmas, pumpkin picking everywhere, carving pumpkins, Halloween events, dressing up!

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to EmPowering For This Useful Post:

babycart  (18-10-2012),halloweendee  (18-10-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews

I never had anything to do with Halloween growing up as lived in a small farming community in SA. But where I live now on the gold coast the community get right into it lots of houses even get decorated. It is the unwritten rule if your light is on then you have treats for the kids. I don't see the harm in it and will be taking ds for the first time this year he is so excited.

Sent from my GT-I9300T using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews

I work in a day care centre and we've decorated our room in Halloween themed artwork and colours and have spiders hanging from the ceiling. Just a bit of fun for the children to dress up and play games.

Thanks
    Reviews

I am a Christian and that isn't something we want to encourage or celebrate. My daughter doesn't do Halloween however I have explained to her ins way she can understand why we don't do it. The centre my daughter goes to is aware of us not doing anything and I have asked that she not be involved in any Halloween activities (yes I am that mother) but it just dosent sit right with me.

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bubbabailey For This Useful Post:

Eternity  (18-10-2012),LoveLivesHere  (18-10-2012)