+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 17 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    They may have religious beliefs that are opposed to the idea of Halloween.

Or they might just be me. I don't do Halloween. We won't be doing Halloween. I've told DD this when she nags at me too (she's 7).

I'd let her dress up if the school had a Halloween Disco or something (which I actually think would be a good idea - the fun dressing-up bit of Halloween without the bothering-strangers-for-teeth-rotting-junk part). We just will not be doing any sort of Trick or Treating. Ever.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SassyMummy For This Useful Post:

Buttercup80  (18-10-2012),Happy2be3  (17-10-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I love Halloween!

It's an excuse to dress up, eat lollies and have fun! What's not to like?

I think we need a lot more reasons in life to dress up, have fun and celebrate stuff...life is depressing...

ETA; I am not into door knocking, but do go to Halloween events in my area

4. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Luna Lovegood For This Useful Post:

Amiedoll  (31-10-2012),Guest654  (17-10-2012),halloweendee  (17-10-2012),LoCo  (18-10-2012),MissMuppet  (17-10-2012),White Mage  (31-10-2012),wigglemum  (17-10-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts

Default Not believing in Halloween?

It's pretty big in my area, restaurants and shops have decorations, most of the local schools have Halloween parties/dances and the last 2 years I've had kids come to the door for treats! I think it's harmless fun like Christmas and Easter , plus another excuse for parties!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/10/14100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by MrsOhara View Post
    When I was a child there was none of this Halloween attire or merchandise out. I don't understand why people would just decide to start doing it.
    Most people would stare at you blankly if you showed up on their doorstep asking to give your child a treat.
    I've always found that people who want to participate in Halloween put a notice on their door saying they are happy to receive trick or treaters or put a witches hat outside. Given it's not a tradition followed by a lot of people in Australia if I go trick or treating with the kids we don't knock on everybody's house for this reason. We've never had anyone be annoyed or stare at us blankly.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by MrsOhara View Post
    When I was a child there was none of this Halloween attire or merchandise out. I don't understand why people would just decide to start doing it.
    Most people would stare at you blankly if you showed up on their doorstep asking to give your child a treat.
    I'm considering putting up a (polite) sign indicating that we don't have any lollies for trick or treaters, to avoid awkward conversations. I won't be giving out free lollies to random kids that show up (wouldn't be nasty to them if they do show though).

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Our neighbourhood really gets into it and its great fun. The custom here is that outside light on means the house is doing the Halloween thing - turning the light off means don't knock, or we're out of treats. Its wonderful seeing the neighbourhood get together and large groups of dressed up kids wandering around. The young kids are always supervised, everyone's well mannered, there's been no problems so far. My kids love it!

My parents are of the 'don't believe in it' variety and that's fine. For some people it conflicts with their beliefs. Though I find the actual wording 'don't believe in it' odd - you can't really deny it exists as an event after all... But my parents mean 'don't want to support it' when they say that I think, and don't believe in the supernatural element.

9. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to MissMuppet For This Useful Post:

darla87  (17-10-2012),halloweendee  (17-10-2012),Mod-pegasus  (22-10-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/10/14100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Ellymoe View Post
    I'm considering putting up a (polite) sign indicating that we don't have any lollies for trick or treaters, to avoid awkward conversations. I won't be giving out free lollies to random kids that show up (wouldn't be nasty to them if they do show though).
    You don't have to give lollies. My kids get all kinds of stuff, I think a lot of people use it to get rid of left over party bag stuffers! I won't let them eat anything that's not wrapped. They've received bubbles, balloons, pencils, notebooks. Honestly they'd be happy with a smile and a lollipop. They just have so much fun trick or treating with all the other kids in the neighbourhood.

But each to their own. Like I said we don't go to houses unless it's obvious they welcome treaters.

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Not believing in Halloween?

That's what I gave last year, the left over lolly bag toys from DS birthday party!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by MissMuppet View Post
    Our neighbourhood really gets into it and its great fun. The custom here is that outside light on means the house is doing the Halloween thing - turning the light off means don't knock, or we're out of treats. Its wonderful seeing the neighbourhood get together and large groups of dressed up kids wandering around. The young kids are always supervised, everyone's well mannered, there's been no problems so far. My kids love it!

My parents are of the 'don't believe in it' variety and that's fine. For some people it conflicts with their beliefs. Though I find the actual wording 'don't believe in it' odd - you can't really deny it exists as an event after all... But my parents mean 'don't want to support it' when they say that I think, and don't believe in the supernatural element.
    Thanks, that's what I meant by "not believing" being odd. I totally understand having differing religious beliefs etc.

But most people have described a whole lot of harmless fun! I remember dressing up and trick or treating in our street and watching the Simpsons Halloween specials. Just good spooky fun!

13. The Following User Says Thank You to darla87 For This Useful Post:

MissMuppet  (17-10-2012)

FearlessLeader is offline Winner 2013 - Most Memorable Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Re: Not believing in Halloween?

Yeah i don't get the whole crankiness about Halloween. Dressing up is awesome. Lollies are awesome. Meeting your neighbours- awesome. Anyone who doesn't like Halloween is a big ole party pooper in my book.

Sent from my HTC Sensation Z710a using BubHub

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to FearlessLeader For This Useful Post:

halloweendee  (17-10-2012),White Mage  (31-10-2012)