+ Reply to Thread
Page 16 of 17 FirstFirst ... 614151617 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Default Not believing in Halloween?

Quote Originally Posted by lambjam View Post
    Well, we just trick or treated for the first time and it was so much fun! We only went to decorated houses and everybody had a ball, it was such a beautiful atmosphere. Not sure why I've avoided it for so long
    It's amazing isn't it when a whole community gets involved? And if you stretch the imagination the weather in the dusky evening is almost autumnal so it could be the 'proper' season

DD and I went for a neighbourhood walk tonight but aside from a community BBQ there was no visible trick or treating. Which was a bit of a let down after our previous place in Sydney where it was thoroughly embraced and our first introduction to how amazing it could be.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to NancyBlackett For This Useful Post:

halloweendee  (31-10-2012),lambjam  (31-10-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

I met a nice family who live in the next street after they knocked on our door this afternoon. I think it's a good way to meet the neighbors!

4. The Following User Says Thank You to lemonpancakes For This Useful Post:

halloweendee  (31-10-2012)

Witwicky is offline A closed mouth gathers no foot.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BornToBe View Post
    Some of us do change the date of Easter... and even Christmas!
    I would hate to talk about it publicly though... deary me, imagine being called a boring stick in the mud with stupid ideas - much better to go with the consumer flow and celebrate whatever the heck is for sale in Big W that week - now that's what I call a fun time. Being told what to celebrate, when, and how!
    Just don't celebrate it? Live and let live. I don't see the point in harping on constantly though. There are much more serious issues in the world
    My stick-in-mud reference is to those who have a problem with others celebrating and won't shut up about it. Who cares what others do, move on!

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Witwicky For This Useful Post:

Eko  (31-10-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    We live in a gated complex. Between the 4 different sections there are over 200 houses and most have kids.

We didn't trick or treat, but we did visit the haunted garage a few doors down and had a great time on the front drive chatting with the neighbours and enjoying the happy vibe that was going on. The kids were so lovely and polite, their costumes were great.

It's our first Halloween at this house and so much better than our old house.

Eko is offline Acrobatic Dominatrix.
    Winner 2012 - Most Politically Correct Member
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    You know what? Everyone that complains that it's an 'American' holiday (which for reference, it wasn't originally ) by extension shouldn't celebrate Christian, Muslim, Jewish... Or any other holiday.
    They're ALL imported from another country. If you base your 'acceptable' holidays on the holidays that you can trace your strong heritage links to then there would only be a relatively small amount of people who are 'allowed' to celebrate Christmas or similar holidays, particularly in our multicultural society.

There's so much confusion out there about what Halloween is really about, but the majority of people would rather stick in their "Bah humbug" mud. That's fine if you ask me, let 'em . Personally I have a great time at Halloween and so does my family .

9. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Eko For This Useful Post:

FrothyFrog  (31-10-2012),halloweendee  (31-10-2012),White Mage  (31-10-2012),Witwicky  (31-10-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by FirstTimeMummy2012 View Post
    Exactly! I had an Irish neighbour who used to tell me they never trick or treated as kids in Ireland. I agree with you. Americans definitely got into it much more than any other country.
    I can say, for sure, that we were doing it 30 years ago.
    Your neighbour might have lived in the countryside which didn't do the door knocking like we did in the city and suburbs.
    We always sang "Help the Halloween party" when the door was opened too, not trick or treat, none of us ever said trick or treat, hehe.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Witwicky View Post
    ^ Where do I cast my vote Girl X? There are a few I would love to change!
    Erm, well as long as it agrees with my votes, then you can cast them right over here. And I will see if my Awesome can make it happen.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Guest654 For This Useful Post:

Witwicky  (31-10-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Little Smile View Post
    I can say, for sure, that we were doing it 30 years ago.
    Your neighbour might have lived in the countryside which didn't do the door knocking like we did in the city and suburbs.
    We always sang "Help the Halloween party" when the door was opened too, not trick or treat, none of us ever said trick or treat, hehe.
    Same here! It's not quite 30 years, but I have pictures of me aged about 7 or 8 dressed up as a vampire for Halloween, and I know that wasn't my first Halloween celebration

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Guest654 For This Useful Post:

Phony  (01-11-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Before kids I barely knew it was on, but dressing my daughter up as a watermelon today was heaps of fun . We were out at the dentist so we missed any kids coming by the house, and my dog would frighten off most people but when DD is older I will definitely make a big deal of it and do things properly .

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Amiedoll For This Useful Post:

Phony  (01-11-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts

We just walked in the door from trick or treating! We had the best time! There were a few streets that gave out maps of the houses who were participating, they all had cool decorations, they were all dressed up, DS thought it was so much fun! We only did a few houses then went back to my SIL houses and waited for kids to knock on her door while my older nieces walked the younger ones around, next year I'm going to get right into as it's so much fun!

18. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Elijahs Mum For This Useful Post:

Cleigh  (31-10-2012),Phony  (01-11-2012)