+ Reply to Thread
Page 13 of 17 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts

Default Not believing in Halloween?

My nieces school handed out a list of local parents who will open their houses for trick or treaters ( which was quite a few!) so my 13 and 17 year old nieces are taking all the little kids trick or treating and I'm going over to my SIL houses with DS to hand out cool candy to all the kids that knock on her door!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I totally don't believe in Halloween as it's another american thing we've taken on but having said that, I will be handing out treats and have bought plenty. Last year I was caught out and it was so embarrasing to have all these kids come to the door and DH and I were hiding out and not answering the door! haha!

At the end of the day kids deserve a fun day so I don't want to be the grinch that stole Halloween!

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Z

We're christians and we believe in celebrating the feast of all saints.
    The evening before -12+-22--22

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I have never ever had anyone knock on my door for Halloween, in all my life. Nobody in this country ever used to do this. It was considered an American tradition that had nothing to do with us. And, in my view, that's still the case. Are people suddenly going to knock on doors expecting lollies this year?? When did this start?

Will we all start celebrating Thanksgiving too?

I like the sound of the letter. It's a lot better than just having your door knocked on and then being made to feel guilty for letting down someone else's child because you don't keep lollies in your house.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to peoniesarepretty For This Useful Post:

FirstTimeMummy2012  (31-10-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts

In theory though all our traditions are American? ( the commercial ones not the pagan/religious ones) Sitting on Santa's knee asking for presents, easter bunny delivering chocolates, Valentines Day, Mothers and Fathers day?

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Elijahs Mum For This Useful Post:

Mod-pegasus  (01-11-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by MissMuppet View Post
    Our neighbourhood really gets into it and its great fun. The custom here is that outside light on means the house is doing the Halloween thing - turning the light off means don't knock, or we're out of treats.
    Luckily for us our front light has never worked so no one knocks on our door, it's a great incentive to not bother fixing it too!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Elijahs Mum View Post
    In theory though all our traditions are American? ( the commercial ones not the pagan/religious ones) Sitting on Santa's knee asking for presents, easter bunny delivering chocolates, Valentines Day, Mothers and Fathers day?
    I think you'll find most of those are actually English.

And Halloween is a pagan tradition, that's the point of it.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to peoniesarepretty For This Useful Post:

halloweendee  (31-10-2012)

lambjam is offline Nitwit! Blubber! Oddment! Tweak!
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Why do people believe Halloween is American? It's simply not true.

12. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to lambjam For This Useful Post:

FrothyFrog  (31-10-2012),halloweendee  (31-10-2012),Raising Leprechauns  (31-10-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    When i was a child, we went 'trick or treating' with my parents one year & copped 'this isn't bl**dy america' from some people when we knocked on their door asking for lollies. It has only recently become a popular thing in Australia - directly aimed at making a profit & i just honestly don't believe it has a place in Australian culture so we won't be celebrating Halloween.

My kid's won't completely miss out though - my daughter has a Halloween themed school party she's going to & she's happy with that. Although trick or treaters are closely supervised (or i would hope so) i bet there are other types of 'creeps' who like to take advantage of Halloween as well.

lambjam is offline Nitwit! Blubber! Oddment! Tweak!
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Quote Originally Posted by peoniesarepretty View Post
    I think you'll find most of those are actually English.
    And it was the Irish and Scottish who brought Halloween to America

15. The Following User Says Thank You to lambjam For This Useful Post:

halloweendee  (31-10-2012)