+ Reply to Thread
Page 12 of 17 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast
    OJandMe is offline I am the strength my children will have.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by London View Post
    This surprises me. Ive noticed that people are moving out, shacking up and getting married younger and younger. It honestly shocks me that women aged 30 and over are the principle purchasers of household goods.
    Also, have you seen some of the Twihard mums? Craaaaaaazyyyyyyy.
    Regardless of how many people are moving out of homes earlier... there are still more than 60% of Australians who are over 30, and almost 20% of people are under 15... and generally speaking children under 15 living at home don't buy groceries. The actual percentage of people that are being marketed to with Halloween gimmicks is quite low compared to the national population with buying power. Say the 16-35 age group of people.... mainly women, buying Halloween products. And not all within this demographic are interested.

It would be interesting to see the supermarket figures after the fact.

(and yes I know people over 35 buy Halloween stuff... but I'm directly linking to the age demographic most into the whole Twilight thing, as in the 'new wave' of Halloween fans... not the small sector who have been participating in Halloween on a non-national level for many years)
    Last edited by OJandMe; 22-10-2012 at 12:09.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts

Default Not believing in Halloween?

Even though the mum however old buys the stuff it's the kids ( in our case my 13, 10 and 8 year old nieces ) that see all the Halloween stuff and ask their mum to buy it for them ! ( they all have school Halloween dances and parties to go to!)

Oh and there was plenty of Buffy merchandise in the 90,s !

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

I wonder how the rise of Internet shopping has influenced Halloween & other pop culture purchases as well? I remember paying $40 for a WWE t- shirt about 15 years ago because it was the only way to get one. Now I could get the same top for half that including shipping.

Sorry, random thought. *pushes the thread back onto the track*

SuperGranny is offline Worlds best grandma! Winner 2012 - Most Helpful Member
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    hi, I dont 'do' halloween, I also dont want to spend any of my money to encourage the supermarkets to purchase more of the merchandise. We dont need any more excuses for eating junk food. In 1997 we had an american exchange student and she had to get her folks to send over any Halloween decorations because there was absolutely nothing in our shops. Now there is stuff in every shop, and plenty of decorations and super large bags of lollies. I have no interest in the 'holiday' and I have never had any kids come to the door. Marie.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    i was in toys r us today and commented that they had hardly any halloween gear compared to last year. they said they had soooo much left over last year that they just aren't stocking as much this time.

to be honest, there really isn't that much stuff in the supermarkets - just some lollies, trick or treat pails and maybe a toy or two. some costumes and really cheap decorations in red dot etc. but nothing like what i have to buy off the internet for my halloween props.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I just wanted to share because I thought it was interesting...

Yesterday my school kids got a note come home about trick or treating. It said that the NSW police force does NOT recommend trick or treating. It highlights some safety aspects especially re. taking lollies off strangers and playing pranks, and suggests that Halloween is best celebrated at home or at nominated 'safe places'.
    I thought it was a really great note for the kids.

Thanks
    Reviews

That's funny as my niece got a note sent home from school outlining safe ways to trick or treat!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    My Mum used to drum into us, 'no we are not American.'
    But I honestly love the idea of Halloween. You get a chance to have a fun time, dress up, eat lollies, tell ghost stories, meet people.

I remember attempting the halloween thing when I was younger with my sisters, we went with 2 neighbour boys and did our block. We were greeted with 4 Police threats. (I will call the police if you don't leave my property) 2 house's turned off their lights and pretended nobody was home.
    Our good bag contained, half a packet of tim tams. Needless to say it was disappointing.

BUT when my boys are older, even if they can't trick or treat, I plan to hold Halloween parties for them and their school friends. I don't care, as I said it's a chance to have fun, and we don't have many holidays that allow it other then Christmas.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    500 Posts in a week
    400 Posts in a week300 posts in a week200 Posts in a week100 Posts in a weekFunniest Caption

Default Re: Not believing in Halloween?

Quote Originally Posted by Laydeebug View Post
    My nan got a letter in the mail saying something along the lines of

We would love to take our kids trick or treating but respect that not everyone is comfortable with celebrating Halloween. If you don't mind us knocking on your door please hang this from your mailbox, if not, we won't disturb you.

I think that was the coolest thing I've heard...

I don't have strong feelings for or against...each to their own...but I think that letter was so respectful!

Sent from my GT-I9100 using BubHub
    My Dad got a similar type of letter, reminding people it would be Halloween and saying they would be coming around and if you didn't want to participate please put the letter on your door/mailbox (it had a picture of a pumpkin crossed out).

I thought it was a great initiative!! It will make this afternoon a lot easier when my sister takes DS out around that area. We came up with a deal that she could take him as long as it was in the afternoon and she is going to swap his lollies for chocolate because we don't let him eat lollies yet.

Sent from my GT-I9300T using BubHub

10. The Following User Says Thank You to FrothyFrog For This Useful Post:

Laydeebugxxx  (31-10-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week

Default Re: Not believing in Halloween?

The mummies fb group Im a part of have compiled a list of addresses of other mums and dads who are welcoming trick or treating in our area. They are messaging the list to the mums who want to take their kiddies trick or treating so they dont have have to wander around trying to find places they can go

Sent from my GT-I9100 using BubHub