+ Reply to Thread
Page 10 of 17 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Can't say I've ever thought too much about it- I see the decorations etc being sold at the shopping centre but don't really see any kids getting dressed up or anything. Don't think I've ever had a trick or treater come visit either. I usually forget it's even Halloween.

However although I don't really give it much thought if it ever becomes more popular/ we move to an area where it's more popular or whatever I won't be partaking or let DD partake- similar reasons to what a few have said, I would rather stay away from anything that has to do with the occult in whatever way. Can always do something fun at home instead with other like minded kids if it becomes a big deal! But unless we pack up and move to the US or something I don't think it will be.

Witwicky is offline A closed mouth gathers no foot.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Default Not believing in Halloween?

We've just moved into a new house and the neighbours have advised us that Halloween is huge on this street, and that toilet papering will occur if we don't join in...YES!! So excited

SpecialPatrolGroup is offline T-rex is cranky until she gets her coffee.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Witwicky View Post
    We've just moved into a new house and the neighbours have advised us that Halloween is huge on this street, and that toilet papering will occur if we don't join in...YES!! So excited
    Love it. Hope you and the boys have fun.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to SpecialPatrolGroup For This Useful Post:

Witwicky  (22-10-2012)

OJandMe is offline I am the strength my children will have.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    I don't really like the idea of encouraging kids to walk up to random people's houses and accept candy....

I do say to the boys 'we don't do Halloween' and they ask "why" and I say because the only reason it has been introduced to Australia on a larger scale is to enable international companies to make money" which is the truth...

I never remember Woolies having Halloween pumpkins when I was growing up. As a matter or fact, I don't remember them having them 4 or 5 years ago!

6. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to OJandMe For This Useful Post:

babycake  (21-10-2012),Buttercup80  (22-10-2012),Deserama  (21-10-2012),Mod-pegasus  (22-10-2012),Rutabaga  (21-10-2012),twotrunks  (21-10-2012)

London is offline “I think we're losing our sense of humor instead of being able to relax and laugh at ourselves" - Betty White
    Winner 2012 - BubHubber you'd like to meet IRL
    Winner 2012 - Best Avatar

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Witwicky View Post
    I am super jealous!!

8. The Following User Says Thank You to London For This Useful Post:

Witwicky  (22-10-2012)

SpecialPatrolGroup is offline T-rex is cranky until she gets her coffee.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by OJandMe View Post
    I never remember Woolies having Halloween pumpkins when I was growing up. As a matter or fact, I don't remember them having them 4 or 5 years ago!
    All of the halloween merchandise has gone crazy in the last few years. My friend had a H party when we were in grade 12 (a long time ago) and the best her mum could do for a pumpkin was a jarradale.

TimTamsandTea is offline ...if only all relationships were so perfectly sweet!
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by darla87 View Post
    I never said there was a problem with what the lady I saw in Big W said....she has every right to believe what she likes and teach her children these beliefs. I do not know about her day, I don't know that her son hadn't had this explained 100 times, nor that she may have had a headache....any number of things! It simply brought to my attention a negative attitude towards Halloween I thought it might be fun to discuss what others thought. I did, however, feel like not believing in Halloween was an odd way to put it.

In the original post it doesn't say I Judged or disagreed with her, I'm not sure why some have inferred that
    Sorry, I didn't mean to infer anything. I just got the impression you thought she was a little uptight and rude and I commented on why this might be the case. My mistake.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to TimTamsandTea For This Useful Post:

darla87  (22-10-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - Most posts for the week ending 5/6/2014

Default Re: Not believing in Halloween?

We do not celebrate Halloween or go trick or treating etc. I don't have anything against people who do and if children knock on our door I always find something to give them.

But my kids certainly aren't missing out. We don't need Halloween to dress up, we do That all the time at home for fun and they are not into lollies.

I don't think not celebrating something makes you a buzz kill etc. I think being rude to people who share different ideals and beliefs than you is however.

Live and let live I say

Sent from my GT-I9305T using BubHub

13. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to peanutmonkey For This Useful Post:

BabushkaMumma  (31-10-2012),Ellymoe  (21-10-2012),Happy2be3  (21-10-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Not believing in Halloween?

Had to laugh at the quote above mentioning the straddling of fall and winter... The gatherings of people as the days grow shorter...
    Kinda ironic that we are at the exact opposite point of the year in australia! Perhaps we should celebrate Halloween on may 31st?

15. The Following User Says Thank You to twotrunks For This Useful Post:

halloweendee  (22-10-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    You know, I'm 37 and I've only ever had TWO trick or treaters knock at my door MY WHOLE LIFE....so yes I stared at them blankly.

Having said that, it sounds like a lot of fun but not something I can be bothered with at the moment though,so close to christmas kinda want to save my money for christmas instead.

Lots of people don't believe in Halloween/Christmas/Birthdays/Easter *insert fun event here* and that's their business and really shouldn't be looked down on for CHOOSING not to participate in certain events, being as how it's a free country and all

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Deserama For This Useful Post:

Happy2be3  (23-10-2012)